RRHOF Inductees announced 11am PT tomorrow

Earthshine_sf

The only thing cool about Rush getting invited to join the hall of shame is if the boys politely tell them to go fluk themselves! It would be demeaning to the band, and legions of fans to even step foot in that Cleveland rathole.

i keep telling myself I dont care but I will be pissed off if they get snubbed.

That's how I feel.

It's not...."I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

It's more like.... Abba, Madonna, WTF?

But RUSH has triumphed in the Rock world over so many. All the great hard rock / progressive rock 70's and 80's bands that are either defunct (Genesis), trudging the nostalgia road (Yes, Deep Purple, BOC, ZZTop) or parodies of their former selves...(Van Halen, Scorpions)... RUSH is the only band still reinventing themselves and selling out arenas. They are the best that ROCK and ROLL has to offer. Perhaps too good for the RRHOF.

I've always thought it interesting that RUSH really had their biggest "commercial / mainstream" successes in 80-82, right after Led Zeppelin disbanded. Their musical styles are vastly different, but both RUSH and Led Zep had/have this unique ability to create incredibly brilliant music unlike anyone else—music that rises above a generation or a trend. RUSH, though different in many ways than Led Zeppelin, is a natural progression of that level of excellence and genius. How is it that Rolling Stone never saw or understood this?

Led Zeppelin respects RUSH enough to invite them backstage, this is meaningful.

This morning on NPR there was a discussion of the Hall and the nomination/induction process. The commentators were indicting the Hall based on the secrecy of the process, and the fact that so many influential bands have been snubbed over the years. The influential bands mentioned in the piece? Roxy Music, Donna Summer and...KISS. Not a word about RUSH in the entire report. I wonder if that's an omen...

There's an NPR reporter/blogger who's been writing for a year or two about Rush and how they deserve induction into the Hall... so it seems NPR is on Rush's side, actually. The last thing about Rush that I read on NPR's site predicted the band will be inducted this year, and gave reasons for its prediction.

Well I for one would like RUSH to receive all the praise and respect they deserve and being inductuted into the RRHOF is a step in the right direction.

:notworthy: :haz: :rush: :haz: :notworthy:

:LMAO: One of the funniest posts I have read in quite awhile.

Well hey, now that Blondie is in the Hall, marginal bands like Rush actually have a shot!

Blonde is cool, she had some good musicians working for her. I wouldn't put her in the Abba or Madonna category. Just like the Eurythmics, not necessary the hardest rock/pop music, but Annie Lennox had an incredible voice—they did some great song writing.

Keep in mind, as we shit on the less-Rock-n-Rollish bands already in the RRHOF, RUSH has gone on record about their Talking Heads, Police, Untravox influences.

The only thing cool about Rush getting invited to join the hall of shame is if the boys politely tell them to go fluk themselves! It would be demeaning to the band, and legions of fans to even step foot in that Cleveland rathole.

I tend to agree. I would rather see Rush politely decline instead of accepting. Rush doesn't need the RRHOF, especially not after getting snubbed for this long. The RRHOF doesn't DESERVE the gratification of Rush accepting induction. I'd like to see "the only band to decline RRHOF induction" added to Rush's resume!

It'll never happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Rush is a hall of fame unto itself!

Edited by dakota2112

Well I for one would like RUSH to receive all the praise and respect they deserve and being inductuted into the RRHOF is a step in the right direction.

Well hey, now that Blondie is in the Hall, marginal bands like Rush actually have a shot!

Blonde is cool, she had some good musicians working for her. I wouldn't put her in the Abba or Madonna category. Just like the Eurythmics, not necessary the hardest rock/pop music, but Annie Lennox had an incredible voice—they did some great song writing.

Keep in mind, as we shit on the less-Rock-n-Rollish bands already in the RRHOF, RUSH has gone on record about their Talking Heads, Police, Untravox influences.

Huh - who's shitting on what now?

My comment was to the fact of the extreme fanboy nature of:

RUSH to receive all the praise and respect they deserve and being inductuted into the RRHOF is a step in the right direction.

Let's say the Titanic is all the disrespect that Rush has gotten from mainstream music, RRHOF, RS, etc thru the years. Then getting into the RRHOF now would be like throwing a couple deck chairs overboard. Not really making any kind of dent in the shit they have gotten.

What all of you should be upset with is Jann Wenner and the rest of the damned nominating committee, not the Hall itself.

I'm confident Rush is going to be announced in two hours as a 2013 inductee, and I think the story is clear: the nominating committee was to blame all along for keeping Rush out. Once past the nominating committee, boom, they're waved into the Hall in their first year of being nominated. Could it be any clearer that, had Rush been nominated back in their first year of eligibility (1999, I think it was), they'd have been INDUCTED in their first year, too? That damned nominating committee was the only source of red tape for Rush's inclusion, all these years.

And, had they been inducted back in 1999, we wouldn't have had ANY bitching and noise from what's become "The 'We hate the Hall' Crowd." (That crowd wouldn't exist if Rush had been waved right in, in 1999. Really, the Hall Haters were born because, by all appearances over this past decade, it looked like the Hall hated Rush, so some Rush fans reciprocated the hate back onto the Hall.) Maybe, after today or after the induction ceremony in April, you folks will see the clear message: we fans wanted Rush, the voters wanted Rush, the Hall itself wanted Rush, and their induction would've immediately happened if not for the nominating committee. So, let's give the Hall a break, and let's be happy for Rush - some elitist critics on the nominating committee may still hate them, but everyone else is giving Rush the recognition and respect they deserve.

Edited by GeddyRulz

When you think Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, do you think Blondie? Or ABBA or Madonna? Or do you think Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Chuck Berry, Black Sabbath, Elton John, etc.?

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

I'd like to see "the only band to decline RRHOF induction" added to Rush's resume!

They wouldn't be the only band. In 2006, the Sex Pistols were inducted but refused to attend the ceremony. They (presumably John Lydon, aka Johnny Rotten) sent the Hall a handwritten letter, calling the RNRHOF "a piss stain." And I think I came across an article earlier today wherein Axl Rose told the Hall "don't induct me, I won't come."

Edited by GeddyRulz

I'd like to see "the only band to decline RRHOF induction" added to Rush's resume!

They wouldn't be the only band. In 2006, the Sex Pistols were inducted but refused to attend the ceremony. They sent a letter, calling the RNRHOF "a piss stain." And I think I came across an article earlier today wherein Axl Rose told the Hall "don't induct me, I won't come."

This is from a Guitar World interview from this year (though I don't know if it was before or after Rush got nominated), and it isn't the first time Alex has made these types of comments about the RRHOF:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: I mean, everybody knows you guys should be in by now. Does it bother you that you’re not? Do you care?

I really don’t care. I look at it like this: Last week we received the Governor General’s Performing Arts Award for Lifetime Achievement, which is a very high honor in Canada. And we were also inducted into the Canadian Hall of Fame, and all those sorts of things. So, in that sense, I’m quite satisfied with those accolades, particularly the Governor General’s Award. That puts us in the company of some of the greatest Canadian creative minds of the last 20 years, since they started this.

I really don’t feel the need to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because, at the end of the day, it’s just somebody’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They have a particular process, and they’re welcome to do it however they want to do it. If they feel that they want to exclude a certain genre or certain bands from their hall of fame, they’re welcome to do it. I don’t need to be in there. I have no interest in going there. I think that so long as we keep this relationship, we probably both benefit. If Rush is not in there, the controversy continues, and it keeps Rush fans very pissed-off. There’s some great bands in there that I really respect. Just recently, it was great to see the Chili Peppers get in—I love those guys. But I don’t need it. I have no interest in going, and hope that we never will.

If I was a Rush fan, I’d be like, “No man, don’t do it. Let’s keep this to ourselves, this little special thing.”

This morning on NPR there was a discussion of the Hall and the nomination/induction process. The commentators were indicting the Hall based on the secrecy of the process, and the fact that so many influential bands have been snubbed over the years. The influential bands mentioned in the piece? Roxy Music, Donna Summer and...KISS. Not a word about RUSH in the entire report. I wonder if that's an omen...

There's an NPR reporter/blogger who's been writing for a year or two about Rush and how they deserve induction into the Hall... so it seems NPR is on Rush's side, actually. The last thing about Rush that I read on NPR's site predicted the band will be inducted this year, and gave reasons for its prediction.

A few weeks back listening to WKSU NPR, They had a interview with our Rush buddy Billy Corgan of the Pumpkins interviewer wanting to discuss new Smashing Pumpkins album. Billy would frequently veer off the subject go into lengthy observations on the quality of the music of Rush. Interviewer would say "Yes. yes I agree had all there albums and seen them in concert numerous times... BUT getting back to your band.." :D

They wouldn't be the only band. In 2006, the Sex Pistols were inducted but refused to attend the ceremony. They sent a letter, calling the RNRHOF "a piss stain." And I think I came across an article earlier today wherein Axl Rose told the Hall "don't induct me, I won't come."

This is from a Guitar World interview from this year (though I don't know if it was before or after Rush got nominated), and it isn't the first time Alex has made these types of comments about the RRHOF:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: I mean, everybody knows you guys should be in by now. Does it bother you that you’re not? Do you care?

I really don’t care. I look at it like this: Last week we received the Governor General’s Performing Arts Award for Lifetime Achievement, which is a very high honor in Canada. And we were also inducted into the Canadian Hall of Fame, and all those sorts of things. So, in that sense, I’m quite satisfied with those accolades, particularly the Governor General’s Award. That puts us in the company of some of the greatest Canadian creative minds of the last 20 years, since they started this.

I really don’t feel the need to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because, at the end of the day, it’s just somebody’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They have a particular process, and they’re welcome to do it however they want to do it. If they feel that they want to exclude a certain genre or certain bands from their hall of fame, they’re welcome to do it. I don’t need to be in there. I have no interest in going there. I think that so long as we keep this relationship, we probably both benefit. If Rush is not in there, the controversy continues, and it keeps Rush fans very pissed-off. There’s some great bands in there that I really respect. Just recently, it was great to see the Chili Peppers get in—I love those guys. But I don’t need it. I have no interest in going, and hope that we never will.

If I was a Rush fan, I’d be like, “No man, don’t do it. Let’s keep this to ourselves, this little special thing.”

I'd guess this was BEFORE they were nominated.

Yeah yeah, we all know Alex has said this several times in interviews, and there's also a notorious Neil comment to the effect of "they think we're not cool enough, but that's okay, because THEY'RE not cool enough for US." Even the band's gracious public statement when accepting the nomination had an undercurrent of "we don't want this." The statement read "we know this is important TO OUR FANS." (Subtext: it's not important TO US.) So, what's your point?

Being as big on artistic integrity and as down on "glittering prizes" as the band has always been, NATURALLY they'd downplay accolades like this. There's one thing. Another: like many Rush fans, the members of the band may have adopted an emotional shield of "well, WE don't like THEM, either!" after having been snubbed so many times.

Ill take the liberty of authoring the decline letter to the hos should the boys be asked to join

Dear Jann Wenner

On behalf of the band, and millions of RUSH fans around the world we are thankful that you fine folks have finally removed your heads from your asses, and have chosen to recognize the accomplishments of one of the great rock bands in history. Upon the news of the invitation, Geddy, Alex, and Neil took quite a while to stop laughing long enough to enlist me to notify you that they will not be attending the induction ceremony in 2013 as they will be busy filling the hallowed concert halls on the second leg of thier Cockwork Angels tour, the band has promised to let me know when they will be available, in the mean time the hall will simply have to wait its turn!

Sincerely,

Ray Daniels

Ill take the liberty of authoring the decline letter to the hos should the boys be asked to join

Dear Jann Wenner

On behalf of the band, and millions of RUSH fans around the world we are thankful that you fine folks have finally removed your heads from your asses, and have chosen to recognize the accomplishments of one of the great rock bands in history. Upon the news of the invitation, Geddy, Alex, and Neil took quite a while to stop laughing long enough to enlist me to notify you that they will not be attending the induction ceremony in 2013 as they will be busy filling the hallowed concert halls on the second leg of thier Cockwork Angels tour, the band has promised to let me know when they will be available, in the mean time the hall will simply have to wait its turn!

Sincerely,

Ray Daniels

That's great!

:laughing guy:

I'd guess this was BEFORE they were nominated.

Yeah yeah, we all know Alex has said this several times in interviews, and there's also a notorious Neil comment to the effect of "they think we're not cool enough, but that's okay, because THEY'RE not cool enough for US." Even the band's gracious public statement when accepting the nomination had an undercurrent of "we don't want this." The statement read "we know this is important TO OUR FANS." (Subtext: it's not important TO US.) So, what's your point?

Awww, are you okay? :(

My point, or really Alex's point, is that getting into the RRHOF doesn't mean much anymore because of the subpar bands they're letting in now, and because of the biased nomination process. Guns 'N Roses do not belong in there, yet they were inducted before Rush and KISS and Deep Purple were even nominated? That make sense to you? That's why Rush couldn't care less about getting in, and why a lot of their fans feel the same way.

Being as big on artistic integrity and as down on "glittering prizes" as the band has always been, NATURALLY they'd downplay accolades like this. There's one thing. Another: like many Rush fans, the members of the band may have adopted an emotional shield of "well, WE don't like THEM, either!" after having been snubbed so many times.

Alex sure didn't downplay the Governor General’s Award they just received. Or getting into the Canadian Hall of Fame. They seemed pleased with getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. And so on.

• Like 1

Alex, Geddy, and Neil are way too classy to dis the RRHOF if they do indeed get in. Sure it would be cool if they did, but that's not the way that they carry themselves.

Alex, Geddy, and Neil are way too classy to dis the RRHOF if they do indeed get in. Sure it would be cool if they did, but that's not the way that they carry themselves.

Agree 100%. I know if they get inducted they will gladdly accept and be done with it, Then they could move on to much better things like the R40 Tour.

:P

Agree 100%. I know if they get inducted they will gladdly accept and be done with it, Then they could move on to much better things like the R40 Tour.

:P

I don't know about "gladly" accept. They'd graciously accept on behalf of their fans, and then move on to the R40 tour...after they finished the second leg of the CA tour, that is.

I've been saying the same for years. The guys have WAY too much dignity, class, sophistication, and integrity to give the Hall the middle finger and say "screw you!" (Still, there are a gaggle of Rush fans who want to see that.)

I've been saying the same for years. The guys have WAY too much dignity, class, sophistication, and integrity to give the Hall the middle finger and say "screw you!" (Still, there are a gaggle of Rush fans who want to see that.)

I agree, and I don't want to see it. I deep down hope they do not get in.... ever. I think Alex said it best in the interview 73 quoted.

From RiaB:

12/11@2:13PM: Well, it's after 2PM [EST] so the press event has already started or will start soon. According to this Future Rock Legends Twitter post, we won't get any kind of press release until 2:30PM, but hopefully we'll get some word from other sources (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) before then. All the rumors/buzz I've been hearing this morning is indicating that Rush definitely got in, but nothing official yet. Stay tuned ...