Rush fan playing Neil's old drum kit

Earthling2112

VERY cool! That guy's pretty good too! He's obviously a Neil fan...

I'm a drummer, but I'd be so nervous playing those legendary drums that I'd probably piss my pants on Neil's old throne. That would not be cool...

Where was this video taped???

There is a Youtube video with some guy playing the drum solo from Exit Stage Left. Some regular guy at home, home video. And, he is almost exact... pretty cool

VERY cool! That guy's pretty good too! He's obviously a Neil fan...

I'm a drummer, but I'd be so nervous playing those legendary drums that I'd probably piss my pants on Neil's old throne. That would not be cool...

Where was this video taped???

If I remember hearing from someone else correctly, this guy plays in one of the Rush tribute bands on the circuit...nice job, really!! Can't deny that!

Aloha, 'yall. His name is Reed Hayes, and he used to be the drummer for Rush tribute, YYZ, based out of Florida. They did play RushCon a few times. This video is from the Percussive Arts Society International Convention (PASIC) in Austin, TX, just about a month ago. He was the 8th place runner-up in one of the recent Roland V-Drum Off contests. Reed flew in just for this opprotunity. "Chromey", the drums, have become widely known as a "wonderful piece of rock history." It is. And it sounds just as good as the day Neil gave it away.

I never realized that the four concert toms were more of a copper/brass colour as opposed to the chrome finish of the main kit.

I STILL like the sound of those Slingerlands any day over the DWs. And, that's not just my heart talking here. I honestly think they sound more like "real drums." listen to Hemispheres again... amazing.

Yes, those toms are copper wrapped (same as "Ole Number One"). Hard to tell from some of the early photos. They do appear black, or chrome, even. When Neil added them to the kit during the COS era, the did not have the chrome wrap available, so he opted for the copper. To this very day, Neil has incorporated that sound from those toms onto his future kits.

If you are a member of FaceBook? We have TONS of close-up photos of the kit. Have you seen photos of the original kick heads - from the inside???

I never realized that the four concert toms were more of a copper/brass colour as opposed to the chrome finish of the main kit.

I STILL like the sound of those Slingerlands any day over the DWs. And, that's not just my heart talking here. I honestly think they sound more like "real drums." listen to Hemispheres again... amazing.

Chromey wasn't the drums used on Hemispheres, Neil had moved on to a black Slingerland kit I think just before the 1st UK tour in '77!

Yes, correct you are - the black Slingerland set was THE kit when I was a crazy kid listening to both Hemispheres and AFT Kings ten times a day. I still like the early drum sounds a lot better anyway, regardless. I mentioned this once before, I don't really like the new DW sound at all. Probably due to the way they're recorded and mixed??? I just like the old sound better... Neil's 8 & 10 inch toms sound like tin cans. Very loud tin cans...

Not a facebook guy, but thanks for the invite just the same...