My review of the Dallas show(spoilers).

dayglow76

Hey guys,just got back from the Dallas show and wanted to give my review after months of reading about the show.

Sound was shaky out of the gates but seemed to be corrected about half way through the first set.

I was a little disappointed in the quality of Ged's vocals after hearing about how great it has been the rest of the tour,but this was one of the last 3 shows of the tour and I'm sure he is worn by now. It did not take away from the show and was much stronger in the second set which was the highlight.

As far as setlist variations,they played setlist A but instead of Manhattan Project,they played Dreamline and was by far the best version of it I have heard going back to the roll the bones tour.

They also played seven cities of gold AND wish them well which by my count is every song on the record except the bu2b songs.

I wore my sith robe and a large "flava flav" clock around my neck and had alot of people pose for pictures with me so if anyone on this board was one of those people please let me know because I'd like to see the pics. The camera guy shot me rocking out with the hood on and everything so I'm pretty sure you will see me in the DVD.

Anyway, all in all great show,i do have to say that it seems the boys are finally starting to show their age,yet they still rock harder and did things guys in their 20's can't do.

The crowd was on it's feet for the majority of the set with very little sitting on ass. The lack of first set staples seems to have affected every show on the tour but the crowd still gave it their all.

I think the dvd will be great edited from both shows.

I am saddened to see the boys growing old though. I know it's a part of it and everything,and I am grateful for everyday they are still playing.

But it became very clear to me tonight for the first time,that no matter what songs they play or how the mix at the show sounds,we all should be thankful

we were born at the right time to see this band in the flesh. They are truly the last of a dying breed and we will never again see a band do what they did,the way they did it.

Edited by dayglow76

That had to be some kind of record for most women at a Rush show ever

Can't say the same for the Los Angeles show. As the old joke goes, you know you're at a Rush show when there is a line to the men's room but the women's room is so quiet, you can hear the cockroaches taking a piss.

Awsome show. I have to say though that Geddy is lip synching some of the songs now. There was just too much disparity between the quality of the vocals on some songs vs others. I'm ok with that, the guy produced some of the most difficult vocals imaginable, and did it live for freaking ever. Of course his voice is shot. The average career of an opra singer is ten years. The body has it's limits. I'm just gratefull that they're still giving it they're best effort. The guitar, drums and bass playing were the best ever! Just a spectacular show.

He's not even coming close to lip synching hahahahaha. He sounded wonderful, as did the band. No signs of aging whatsoever. Fantastic show... not quite sure what you were seeing!

He does have backing tracks on Clockwork Angels..

The Anarchist is not lip synched at all..?

The only vocal lip synced was the megaphone section of Clockwork Angels and The Anarchist.

:goodone:

The special part on The Anarchist isn't lip synced though, he is actually singing it with a vocal (megaphone) effect. If you compare 2 shows on this tour, you'll find out he is singing it differently every night. The interesting thing is, it sometimes sounds like he is struggling with that part.

"I lack their happiness and love...." :P :rush:

He sounded fine to me! The sound was also fine from where I sat (AA - Dallas is NOT a good place for music). The problem I had with this show is the crowd. LAME! St. Louis kicked your behind's Dallas, plain and simple. Huge sections were sitting on their hands - literally - until YYZ broke out. When they got the lights thrown on them, it was 'watch me be stupid', but otherwise....LAME! I was in 111 and it was mostly like a morgue and so were the sections around us. You would think, especially after announcing it was being recorded for a live DVD, there would be a bit of excitement overall.....not as far as I could see. I had a great time regardless. Edited by bigalfan

Flava Flav would be proud my man...post a pic so we can see it. I can't believe I started a trend...thanks to Hermy!!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/avplanners/TMKit7.jpg

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Guess this means there's zero chance of Manhattan Project making it to DVD :(

I know it was on A Show of Hands but it just sounded so powerful with the "modern" sound, and epic with the strings....besides, Dreamline was on Different Stages, Rush in Rio, R30, and Snakes and Arrows Live....

I know it was on A Show of Hands but it just sounded so powerful with the "modern" sound, and epic with the strings....besides, Dreamline was on Different Stages, Rush in Rio, R30, and Snakes and Arrows Live....

Well, they played it in Phoenix which was also filmed for the DVD. From what I remember, it sounded great. :) So hopefully they'll combine the best of the two shows for the DVD.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

Well, they played it in Phoenix which was also filmed for the DVD. From what I remember, it sounded great. :) So hopefully they'll combine the best of the two shows for the DVD.

:o YES! I didn't know they switched Dreamline for Manhattan Project on that night! Faith is RESTORED! :cheers: And that is one epic setlist and I hope that one is the main DVD feature. (or if they combine both sets and stitch them together as one show that'd be even better! ;) )

Edited by Tarkus406

I am saddened to see the boys growing old though. I know it's a part of it and everything,and I am grateful for everyday they are still playing.

But it became very clear to me tonight for the first time,that no matter what songs they play or how the mix at the show sounds,we all should be thankful

we were born at the right time to see this band in the flesh. They are truly the last of a dying breed and we will never again see a band do what they did,the way they did it.

Yeah, Roger that! [Deep Sigh]

Then again, we ain't gettin' any younger either and should also probably be glad that we're healthy enough to go see them still. LOL

I almost got the impression this tour that they sort of knew that this would be their last tour.

Some are optimistic that they'll do another American leg, but I'm not so sure. They've spaced this one out a lot more than the Time Machine tour, so if they do it'll have to go into next fall or they'll have to weasel it in in the late winter/early spring. I sure hope they do, I'd love to go again or twice more money/distance allowing, but ...

Economy been very very bad to me. LOL

from what ive seen on youtube, geddy didnt seem to be having a good night vocally, reminded me a fair bit of the time machine dvd (which i dont think is that bad vocally), but despite this, looks like it would have been a great show :)

I think Rush needs to fire their sound guy honestly. I have seen every tour since roll the bones in Dallas and there have never been any sound issues until the time machine and clockwork tours,and they were in 2 separate venues.

The boys were on fire but they were reduced in their impact by the crappy sound.