My review of Rush show in Anaheim

LeaveMyThingAlone

Wow, what a night. It seems every tour I come away after the concert more and more blown away and in awe of these guys and last night was no exception.

We live in South Orange County, so it's about a 40 minute drive up to the Honda Center in Anaheim. So we left here at about 5:00. Figured we'd grab a bite at JT Schmidt's across the street and walk to the 7:30 PM show. Well, after we valet our car we discover we have a 75 minute wait. With Rush tunes playing all nigh, and Rush fans that have completely packed the restaurant, I wanted to hang but we were hungry so we had to bolt. Drove around to many restaurants. All the same thing. All Rush fans. Finally, had to settle for Jack in the Box, eating it in the car.

Head back to the JT Schmidts valet and walk over to the Arena. Some very crazy security made it a bit too close for comfort, but we finally made it in at about 7:15. I then waited in yet another long line to buy my traditional tour shirt. This year it was the very sweet Rush # 3 World tour jersey for $100. Painful to know I'll be able to buy this online for $20 in a couple months but WTF

Inside, at 7:30PM, the arena was about 40% full. Having just come from the overzealous security, I knew they'd be starting late. Usually they are very prompt, but they are quite considerate about no starting until most everyone has arrived. Finally, I would guess at around 7:55PM, the lights go out and the opening video kicks in.

I'm not going to go through each song. I will just say that the boys sounded absolutely incredible. I mean I seriously can't believe how good they sounded. I was just in awe and still am. We were in the 3rd row on Geddy's side and the entire floor section we were in was just so into it, which makes the show that much more fun. Everyone seemed to know every word to every song.

While the ENTIRE show was absolutely freakin' incredible, I will say that we thought there was quite a stark difference between the 1st and 2nd set. The 2nd set was just breathtaking. I kind of anticipated the crowd being a little more mellow and low key during the new album but quite the opposite. The crowd all seemed to know the album and appreciate it's briiliance, enjoying every minute of each song. Our set included Wish them Well and no 7 Cities,

The pyros for Carnies, Clockwork Angels, Caravan, etc were awesome. As usual, the boys spared no expense. The end of Carnies provided the best pyro I've seen from them. Being in the 3rd row, I literally started to sweat.

Some observations of the crowd:

Noticeably diverse, in ethnicity, gender, and age. While the 40 something white male still is the majority, I don't recall seeing as many kids, hot ladies, and Hispanics before at a Rush show. Our section in particular had some gorgeous girls but I watched them during the show and they weren't there for their boyfriends or husbands, they were singing along to most of the songs. Really impressive to see this.

The crowd was so into it, standing for about the entire show. No one sat down. Just so cool to see. The vibe of the Rush faithful is so cool.

Some observations of the setlist:

Phenomenal. I was a little worried that some of the casuals might be bored, but not even close. I will say that there was a song or 2 in the 1st half that slowed everyone down...in particular it seemed The pass put some people in their seats. Limelight was a very nice surprise and that got the crowd charged up. Even a rather obscure song like Grand Designs got everyone excited. Everyone got excited about that one. Some standouts that sounded great from the 1st half: Without a doubt, the stand out song in the first half was The Analog Kid. That sound just sounded incredible. And Alex smoked it on the solo. And that one in particular had the crowd going spastic. The loudest they may have been was during and after Alex's amazing solo.

1H highlights:

Analog Kid

Limelight

Big Money

Far Cry

Where's my Thing sounded off. Alex was clearly playing it very differently and I just couldn't get into it. Leave that thing Alone is by far a better tune that comes off better

2nd Half and the album were the peak. It is criminal how good they sound at this stage of their career. And to play an entire new album and have the crowd so into it is unheard of. I just can't get over these guys. No one can touch them. The whole album was just freakin' amazing. Absolutely loved the way it came off live

2H Highlights:

Clockwork Angels-Just spot on. Crowd absolutely loved it.

Headlong Flight-Without a doubt, the highlight of the whole show, but I almost feel like Neil's solo killed the momentum of such a killer tune. It just so rocked.

The Garden-Perfect ending to the album with amazing visuals.

Dreamline-Great tune to follow up CA. I can't imagine the set list WITHOUT this classic. I had forgotten how cool it is. And again the whole crowd seemed to know it. What a great freakin's song

Then YYZ-WOW. Alex came over to our side and was acting the part of the goofball he is

Red Sector A was the only "meh" song, but really still a very good song.

Closing with 2112 was brilliant. Grand Finale perfect ending

Observations of the boys:

Just on their game, having fun, giddy and really sharp. A couple technical flaws here and there. Seemed like a part in Spirit of Radio was a little off, and Alex's backup singing actually overpowered Geddy a few times. Overall, I've never been a fan of the acoustics here. Irvine so much better. Alex's guitar was barely audible at times during the show. Very odd for the guitar to be drowned out by everything else, usually the opposite but that was the case last night (at times). But all and all, they were the sharpest I've heard them in quite some time. As others have observed, Geddy's vocals are better then they've been in a while. Dude has the fountain of youth in his house!

The boys are amazing!

I've been to Honda many times, i knew there was no way they would get an almost sold out crown in there in an hour (I had been told doors would open 6.30) so we took a different tack as we wanted to make sure we were inside by 730, normally we don't care as there's usually a crap opening band to sit though. Leave from Lake Forest uber early and avoid traffic, ate at JT early with minimal wait, get to Honda Center right for when the doors opened so we got in pretty quick. At least they had the decency to delay the start a bit.

I was there, too on Alex's side of the stage. Sound was not too good for me. Got a cool pic of his guitars!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/jcar/2012-11-17191924.jpg

Me too , however we were at the bar having drinks another couple from SD who were seeing Rush live for the 1st time...props to JTs for pumping in some Rush music into the Bar ! we left just before 6pm to get our VIP Nation envelope , I just want to take a moment to say that VIP nation are a bunch of the cest people EVER !!! https://lh6.googleus...03/IMG_2750.JPG .. I gave the envelope to my G.F. and had her open it ... I almost crapped my pants !! Section 102 , Row 1 , Seats 11-12 !!

The show was great but for my first time in the front row for ANYTHING, Geddy could have fallen off the stage , Neil could have gone Kieth Moon and started trashing his set and I STILL would have thought it was the gratest thing ever ! The energy from the crowd behind me was phenominal but I couldnt help noticing that other than my G.F. and 2 guys next to us that fell into the front row thanks to the ticket fairy that everyone else in the first 2 rows were sour faced , unenthusiastic trolls , the date or wife of the guy to my right looked as if that the only reason she was there is because she lost a bet ! The first half of the show was th usual trip back in time , Where's my thing came off well but Ive never been a big Red Sector fan.

It maybe me but Neil is looking heavy and puffy in the face and this is the first time in 35+ years of playing where he's played 3 shorter solos instead of 1 long one...it was a little disappointing actually , there was a funny moment at the end of his first solo he does a stick toss and hits hmself in the face as he tried to catch it , Neil wasnt too proud ,, Geddy walks out as their playing the 2nd half of the song ..he gives Neil a look of 'What the F was that ?" and looks down towards my direction and we both laughed and shrugged. The String ensemble in the 2nd half added a fullness to the wall of sound that keys can not duplicate , there was great intereaction between the boys and the strings and it didnt hurt that the Double Bass player was veeeery hot !! they stayed on through YYZ and again it was a positive the whole time.

here is some raw pics from the 400 or so I took ...the out of focus ones were just from burst mode , enjoy.

https://plus.google....CIqcu9O78_y81wE

Edited by Orbourus

Me too , however we were at the bar having drinks with a few drinks with a another couple from SD who were seeing Rush live for the 1st time...props to JTs for pumping in some Rush music into the Bar ! we left just before 6pm to get our VIP Nation envelope , I just want to take a moment to say that VIP nation are a bunch of the cest people EVER !!! https://lh6.googleus...03/IMG_2750.JPG .. I gave the envelope to my G.F. and had her open it ... I almost crapped my pants !! Section 102 , Row 1 , Seats 11-12 !!

The show was great but for my first time in the front row for ANYTHING, Geddy could have fallen off the stage , Neil could have gone Kieth Moon and started trashing his set and I STILL would have thought it was the gratest thing ever ! The energy from the crowd behind me was phenominal but I couldnt help noticing that other than my G.F. and 2 guys next to us that fell into the front row thanks to the ticket fairy that everyone else in the first 2 rows were sour faced , unenthusiastic trolls , the date or wife of the guy to my right looked as if that the only reason she was there is because she lost a bet ! The first half of the show was th usual trip back in time , Where's my thing came off well but Ive never been a big Red Sector fan.

It maybe me but Neil is looking heavy and puffy in the face and this is the first time in 35+ years of playing where he's played 3 shorter solos instead of 1 long one...it was a little disappointing actually , there was a funny moment at the end of his first solo he does a stick toss and hits hmself in the face as he tried to catch it , Neil wasnt too proud ,, Geddy walks out as their playing the 2nd half of the song ..he gives Neil a look of 'What the F was that ?" and looks down towards my direction and we both laughed and shrugged. The String ensemble in the 2nd half added a fullness to the wall of sound that keys can not duplicate , there was great intereaction between the boys and the strings and it didnt hurt that the Double Bass player was veeeery hot !! they stayed on through YYZ and again it was a positive the whole time.

here is some raw pics from the 400 or so I took ...the out if focus ones were just from burst mode , enjoy.

https://plus.google....CIqcu9O78_y81wE

very nice shots!

• Like 1