Anaheim

toscanobarga

I thought the show was an 8 out of 10. Great instrumentals and the strings section was amazing. They weren't a stick-up-the-ass orchestra; they actually rocked out to the songs! Geddy's voice was kinda bad and lazy at times, but I can overlook that. I loved how they threw in Limelight as the surprise though. Overall, I thought it was a great show (not going to be better than the upcoming Who concert :D) and I had a blast!

Here is my Top 5 songs of the show:

1. YYZ

2. Spirit of Radio

3. Tom Sawyer

4. Analog Kid

5. Where's My Thing?

Last thing: Is it me, or did it seem like the sound sucked on almost every old song and rocked on every Clockwork Angels song?

Maybe depends where you were sitting, I thought the sound was consistently ok, about as good as you're gonna get in a place that size, an dbetter than most I've seen there.

I'd put Headlong flight up there with the ones you mentioned.

Sound will probably be cleaner at the Gibson tomorrow, it's a much smaller place with better acoustics.

I also thought Geddy's voice was reasonable, certainly better than Daltrey's has been at pretty much any point of the last twenty years.

Is it me, or did it seem like the sound sucked on almost every old song

I have always thought the sound at the Honda Center has sucked. For two shows I've been there for(not Rush) it was simply terrible to the point people complained and, in one case, said they were going to go down and tell the sound engineer on the floor!I think the place was built more as a sports arena with the sight lines taking precedence over acoustics. I wonder if the engineers "tweaked" with it during the break??

The Anaheim show was my 2nd time seeing Rush and my hubby's first. It was nice to have the concert start 10 minutes after we sat down and I enjoyed every minute of it as they are an amazing live band and to spend an evening with three legends made for a fantastic Saturday night! I enjoyed it for what it was, not for what it wasn't. Sure they played more classics on their Time Machine Tour back in 2010, but I really thought the new songs played live well with Headlong Flight and The Garden being my faves. I was also excited that they played Red Sector A and The Analog Kid.

I was too far back for my poor iPhone to zoom in on Geddy, Alex and Neil, but this pic of the audience basking in the warm glow of the Spirit of Radio is my favorite.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr10/carmenator/RushSpirit.jpg

One more which shows the awesome lighting illuminating the crowd.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr10/carmenator/RushLights.jpg

Edited by Carmenator

I have always thought the sound at the Honda Center has sucked. For two shows I've been there for(not Rush) it was simply terrible to the point people complained and, in one case, said they were going to go down and tell the sound engineer on the floor!I think the place was built more as a sports arena with the sight lines taking precedence over acoustics. I wonder if the engineers "tweaked" with it during the break??

Keep in mind The Honda Ponda is similar to the way the Forum is and Madison Square Hovel is...theyre Barns ! its not like sound at Irvine Meadows or Universal Amph. The Front of House eng. will ring that place out forever and still be on the verge of feedback on the other hand he tends to have tyo mix on the fly a little as the crowd will effect the accoustics whether they are screaming or not .....But since i was in the front row with speakers and neil pointed squarly at my Cabasa , my ears rang until this morning.

Carmenator... GREAT pictures!! The close ups of the guys on stage are pretty much all the same, from venue to venue, but the crowd pictures are cool. I really like the second one - with all the crazy lights on the first twenty rows.

Your pictures have made me make up my mind. If there is a 2013 leg, I'm going. I don't give a donkey's dump if I have to fly somewhere, I'm going to see this band... for the 28th time.

Your hubby is lucky that his wife is teaching him about good music!!

Nice...

Keep in mind The Honda Ponda is similar to the way the Forum is and Madison Square Hovel is...theyre Barns ! its not like sound at Irvine Meadows or Universal Amph. The Front of House eng. will ring that place out forever and still be on the verge of feedback on the other hand he tends to have tyo mix on the fly a little as the crowd will effect the accoustics whether they are screaming or not .....But since i was in the front row with speakers and neil pointed squarly at my Cabasa , my ears rang until this morning.

I posted a review stating this.

I cringed when I first saw that they were playing the Honda Center. I have never seen a concert there that had good sound. and this show was no exception. I was in the 3rd row Geddy's side and had a blast but was baffled by Alex's guitar sound, or should I say lack of sound. It almost sounded like he was being drowned out by Geddy at times. Extremely odd as it's almost always the guitar drowning everyone else out.

If they come back in 2013, I really hope it's back to Verizon Wireless in Irvine and back to the Great Outdoors

The Ponda (not a typo) Center has always had terrible sound. My mom used to take me there for Evangelical Crusades (don't ask) and it was painfully hard to hear what the preacher/swindlers were saying.

Anyway, we were in the first row and of course things sounded great but down there but we had a hell of a time even noticing the string section and really had to strain to hear them. It sounds like it was funky in some way for everybody depending on where they were sitting.

But like my husband and I say, Rush could sit up there and play Tiddly-Winks for three hours and we'd be thrilled to be there.

Carmenator... GREAT pictures!! The close ups of the guys on stage are pretty much all the same, from venue to venue, but the crowd pictures are cool. I really like the second one - with all the crazy lights on the first twenty rows.

Your pictures have made me make up my mind. If there is a 2013 leg, I'm going. I don't give a donkey's dump if I have to fly somewhere, I'm going to see this band... for the 28th time.

Your hubby is lucky that his wife is teaching him about good music!!

Nice...

Thanks for the kind words, Rugged Dude! I'm glad I was able to influence your wise decision in making up your mind to see Rush for a 28th time :-o I hope to be able to see them for a 3rd time in the near future. My hubby is always groaning about going to concerts when I buy us tix, but he always ends up saying "man I'm glad I went 'cause they were awesome". I told him it's my wifely duty to expose him to good live music \m/