Where's My Thing? is not translating well live.

D3strukt

Surely it can't be me when I hear something wrong with the way Alex plays those opening chords.

Is it his wall of sound, or actually the way he's playing it.

Also, forgive for the spoiler, I've got a fever of 102, can a mod fix this please?

Edited by D3strukt

I think the issue some may have with Alex's playing is the tone. The original had that kind of processed sound he avoids like the plague now, so the main chords are naturally gonna have a very different feel given the sounds and tones he now utilizes. And he is playing them a tad different to coincide with the change in tone.

Part of what made it awesome for me was the reveal. I always avoid spoilers for concerts, so when they started playing it in a slightly revamped form, for the life of me I couldn't tell what it was. After a few moments (maybe just before or as Geddy hit the bass line), it clicked, making the experience that much sweeter.

I always thought the song was irritating at best. It sounded so much better live and I found myself enjoying the song for the first time. I listened to it on my MP3 player the day after, it still sounds irritating.

The song itself is going over very well live.

The inclusion of the drum solo really gets the crowd charged up.

But yeah, Alex has changed his tone from 20 years ago... it's a little off-putting until you remember it's 2012, not 1992.

This song was probably the highlight of my concert night, as it was #2 of my top 3 wish songs, and the surprise was kept intact by not finding out the setlist beforehand! I recognized it when Neil's cymbal-rhythm started up, and I'd accidently had my camera on 'film' mode, and so managed to record the entire song (though, of course, the recording is crappy!). I loved this song, I'd actually squealed once I'd recognized it.

That said, I'm not as big a fan of the album version. I have the live version from the 'The Big Money Meets the Big Apple' bootleg on my ipod, and the sound is just so much better than the album version - much more dynamic and more depth. I will say, that the guitar sound for the CA tour version isn't as good to my ears as the sound from the Roll the Bones tour, but if I push my slight pickiness aside, again, it's an awesome song, and I'm so glad they pulled this one out! I'd always felt this song needed more love than it's been shown, and I'm glad the boys seem to feel the same way!

Incidently, I've started to learn this song on guitar (and bass), as one of my very first songs that I'm learning....

IMO, Where's My Thing is the best of the 90's instrumentals, and it was great to hear it return to the set, especially linked to a drum solo. Yes, it's different, but it's been 20 years, which is a lifetime for a band that likes to change things up as much as Rush does. While it's not quite as awesome as it was in 92, it's still a very good instrumental, and I'm glad they brought this back, rather than do the very overplayed Leave that Thing Alone.

Now if they could bring back the very fine Limbo for the next tour (or even the next leg), that would be truly great.

In my opinion, Where's My Thing and The Analog Kid were the easy standouts of the first set. They killed live! Which is surprising, considering I'm not the biggest fan of WMT. That said, it kicked ass live! Loved the newer, ballsier sound.

I agree. I saw the first Toronto show, and Where's My Thing? and The Analog Kid were definite first set highlights. The crowd roared for both.

-Jane

I think it sounds off when they've been playing it because, to me, the focus of the main riff in the song is supposed to be the bassline, with the guitar in the background, but in all the recordings I've heard so far, the guitar is overpowering the bassline and you're mainly hearing the repetitive and uninteresting guitar part during the main riff. That could just be due to the quality of the recordings, I don't know, but it totally throws the song off.

Just curious if it is NORMAL to not remember details of the show?

I'm having a hard time recalling certain events, but as a whole the Tampa show was great.

I feel that, due to me being sick, this may be the reason why I wasn't able to fully enjoy it.

It was a large blur.

Cocktail of drugs at 4. Drove to Tampa, was drained from that alone. Slept in the passenger seat for an hour while dad listened to the FBN/COS albums. Woke up, went inside (no pat down, went right in, was nice for a change.) Sat down at our seats. I started feeling REALLY bad by this point. Fell asleep.

Video came on, blah, blah. Subdivisions wakes my ass up. I get up distorted, then the first set goes by with me screaming and yelling and enjoying it (I remember Geddy nailing AK and GD).

Falls back asleep for the 10 minutes of the intermission (it might've been 20, It was before, but this time it seemed shorter.)

Get woken up by Caravan. Once again, I am disoriented and only get back into the groove at the end of Caravan.

Clockwork Angels goes by, Anarchist, e.t.c. Headlong Flight comes up, and I air drummed to it, but then set down, because everyone in my section was, for some f***ing reason.

Section was sitting, from The Wreckers, to Red Sector A.

Then the songs I don't care much for came on. YYZ (The Spirit of Radio was good. I sang along as best I could. I think.) TS/2112.

Then I drove home in a completely altered state of mind with Power Windows playing faintly in my ears.

f**k it, I'll be at Sunrise or Jacksonville, or Orlando next year anyway, so it's no big deal.

The one thing I do remember, with absolute clarity is alex doing the toking face during Tom Sawyer.

That had me coughing up a storm, because it made me laugh so hard. And the hot female violinist.

Edited by D3strukt