Members of Rush do drugs? (Real ones, not pot)?

LedRush

Well, if it means anything.... Alex did tell us in Seattle Tuesday night that he loved Washington state and, "Let's light one up!" Between that and the High Times interview I'm pretty sure he still lights one up now and then. :madra:

He also smoked "red apples" all the time, whatever they are (Marlboro reds?).

"Red Apples" is the name of a cigarette brand that does not exist. Tarantino has referenced them in a few films of his. One scene in which Red Apples are mentioned is in Pulp Fiction when Bruce Willis orders them at the bar after he talks to Marsellus Wallace. Peart isn't going to freely promote some ciggy company. ;)

In the Beyond Lighted Stage, Geddy says about Caress of Steel "I think we were pretty high when we made most of that record" or something, if i remember right :D
  • Like 1

Im sure they did drugs in their 70s heyday... could care less what they did then or do now (which Im sure is slim to none irregardless of this blog)

I've always assumed that all the bands from back then did drugs and if it didn't kill them or make them look like Keith Richards it was no big deal :LOL:

Is Keith Richards still alive..? :P

Im sure they did drugs in their 70s heyday... could care less what they did then or do now (which Im sure is slim to none irregardless of this blog)

I've always assumed that all the bands from back then did drugs and if it didn't kill them or make them look like Keith Richards it was no big deal :LOL:

Is Keith Richards still alive..? :P

:yes:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/542897_522318384462566_1846870781_n.jpg

• Like 2

I have to align myself with those squares out there that would be disappointed with extended drug use by RUSH. I like to think that when Gene Simmons talked about Geddy, Alex and Neil hiding out in their dressing room while everybody else was going wild, that meant that they didn't buy into the drug culture wholesale. Sure, they used drugs, but I hope that it was transitory more than anything else. RUSH has been my life music group since I was 10 back in 1981, and I consider them the "good" guys of rock. I hope that is the case. I'm sure it is.

-Ski

Check out the clip of Alex on you tube pissed/stoned off his tits on the beach trying to play 2112!!

Link??

My name is Peter Brockbank, and I wrote Legends of Brocklehurst. I joined The Forum when, by accident, I came across this discussion. First I want confirm I did drive NEP on both '88 and '92 legs of the European Tour. I am not some internet wannabe pretending to be someting I am not. Everything I wrote in my story is true as far as my aging memory can tell. I had no idea that the mention of certain matters while visiting Neil in The Savoy Hotel would cause to much distress. After reading comments about that post, I removed the " offending " words.

The reason I mentioned that in the first case was to prove Neil is in fact human, not a machine, a lot of you fans have this set idea that he is unfriendly, uncommunicative, and generally is a dour character. I have always maintained, as Chris Lea does in the part he wrote, Neil is a very funny, humane, caring guy. I never could have guessed at your reaction. I really think some of you are very naive when I read your comments. As well as brilliant musicians, do your heroes also have to be paragons of virtue ? No one is saying anyone is a drug addict, over doing various chemical stimulants. It is a fact at certain times all rock groups have indulged. There was no slur meant on anyone's name. If I said I got drunk with one of the band, would that be wrong ? How the fact that one, or all, of Rush have taken drugs, now and then, can alter the way you think about them is amazing, and almost unblievable to me.

I can't speak for the USA but over here half the people under 40 ( and plenty over ) are using recreational drugs at leat once a week. The other half can't afford to !.

I would be pleased to read your thoughts on this, and will answer any questions.

Edited by Roadcrew

Hi, Peter; thanks for your thoughts.

I think a lot of us hold Rush as being special, and thus kind of above the usual trappings of rock-stardom. Many of us are pleased that the Rush boys seem to be rather outstanding people with no blatant problems often associated with a rock-and-roll lifestyle, and this elevates our appreciation of them. Of course, one can say that well, why should anything affect our liking of their music other than the music itself? and this is a fair question. Speaking for myself, the favourable image I've formed of the Rush boys has made their music that much more special to me. If the same music was being produced by rude, mean, and yes, drug-addled men, my appreciation of their music would be lessened. Yes, that's being biased, but integrity is a big turn-on (to use a term Geddy's been fond of!) to me, and for me and for others, integrity includes the abstinence of reliance on drugs.

I understand the dabbling in recreational substances, for creativity's sake or otherwise, but it's the reliance that's not my cup of tea. I have an idea of Rush being awesome enough with their musicality that they don't need drugs to be able to produce awesome music, and I respect that, though I realize that's just my idea of them, and not necessarily how it is. I like to think that the boys don't need drugs to be able to make music, don't need drugs to be able to live day-to-day. They have an image as normal guys, and doing drugs doesn't really fit in with this image.The boys seem to be on a level that they don't need artificial influences; they are comfortable with themselves and their capacity to live well, without 'enhancements', and I think this has been attractive to a lot of fans.

I don't want to put Rush on a pedestal, and am uncomfortable when others do so, because if Rush fails in my own selfish expectations of them, they will fall and I'll be the only one hurting from it. No one is perfectly virtuous, and it is unreasonable to think anyone should be. I think Rush just have a particular, more 'clean-cut' image, and this has attracted a lot of people who are happy to see a band make it big without chemically cheapening themselves.

To move on slightly: I'm pleased when I hear, say, about Geddy striving to be fit and healthy; this meshes with my own lifestyle beliefs, and I'm happy when a 'celebrity' I admire is interested in being well. Being biased, my respect for Geddy, and therefore Rush, increases. This makes no logical sense to increasing my enjoyment of their music, but it does.

Basically, it comes down to personal beliefs. If someone believes in racial equality, he would be sad to find out his favourite band has used racial slurs. If someone doesn't like the use of any kind of drugs, that person will be sad to learn his favourite band is big on drugs.

Gosh, this has taken forever to type out. I hope anyone reading it isn't bored and that I get a point or two across! :S

• Like 2

Prime Mover,

Cheers for your reply. I totally understand your thoughts, and think it is really the beliefs of most of the Rush fans I know. The first time I met some of the TNMS ( English Rush Site ) members with my son, Mark, we were amazed at their clean cut attitude. I sort of expected there to be evidence of drug taking, or at least some mention of it. When I asked if anyone dabbled, and remember I grew up during the '60s when most people tried something, one guy said, " I have fancied trying some drugs, and visiting a brothel. " Mark who was in his twenties replied, " I suggest you try them together. " The guy just looked at him like he was mad.

I have often been let down by people I looked up to when I met them. Sadly you don't have to be a decent person to be a star, whether track, field or music. I do think you are completely correct in your assessment of Alex, Geddy, and Neil. They are all very honest, caring people. But in their business it would have been almost impossible not to have tried something, but of course that wouldn't make them bad people.

Edited by Roadcrew
  • Like 1

Holy shit, Mika... you should be a GD writer! Well done.

There is one constant thing (Mika, please find me a better word for "thing" here because I can't, plus I'm just too lazy to try right now) with Rush fans. And, that is that many of us think we "know" the members of the band. I used to be like this at one time. Who knows what celebrities ACTUALLY do on their own private time and really - who cares, as long it doesn't hurt anyone.

Was I a little disappointed when I heard about Alex getting in trouble iin Florida a few years ago? Sure. Because it didn't suit the band's image of what we believe them to be. I thought, "No way, not Lifeson! That guy never gets into trouble!" But, when I heard what really happened, the whole story, I figured I would have ended up in trouble with the law too, if I was in the same situation.

The only reason we hear about crazy stuff like Brittney Spears shaving her head and smashing a window with an umbrella is because that genre of "kiddy pop" is always at the top of the entertainment headlines. Unfortunately.

I'd be surprised if any of the members of Rush use any drugs other than the odd bit of pot. But, if they do, it's their choice... personally, I am TOTALLY against ANY DRUGS (including pot) but again, it's none of my goddam business what others do.

At the end of the day, these guys make great music, put on a great live show and at least to us, seem like normal guys. Now, if I went to a Rush concert and one of the guys was so wasted that it ruined the show, I'd want my goddam money back. But, from this band's track record of nearly 40 years, I'd say the odds of that happening are about as good as someone getting nailed by lightning twice in the same day.

Author's note - Mika, how did I do other than the "thing" part in which I stumbled badly? :huh:

Holy shit, Mika... you should be a GD writer! Well done.

There is one constant thing (Mika, please find me a better word for "thing" here because I can't, plus I'm just too lazy to try right now) with Rush fans. And, that is that many of us think we "know" the members of the band. I used to be like this at one time. Who knows what celebrities ACTUALLY do on their own private time and really - who cares, as long it doesn't hurt anyone.

Was I a little disappointed when I heard about Alex getting in trouble iin Florida a few years ago? Sure. Because it didn't suit the band's image of what we believe them to be. I thought, "No way, not Lifeson! That guy never gets into trouble!" But, when I heard what really happened, the whole story, I figured I would have ended up in trouble with the law too, if I was in the same situation.

The only reason we hear about crazy stuff like Brittney Spears shaving her head and smashing a window with an umbrella is because that genre of "kiddy pop" is always at the top of the entertainment headlines. Unfortunately.

I'd be surprised if any of the members of Rush use any drugs other than the odd bit of pot. But, if they do, it's their choice... personally, I am TOTALLY against ANY DRUGS (including pot) but again, it's none of my goddam business what others do.

At the end of the day, these guys make great music, put on a great live show and at least to us, seem like normal guys. Now, if I went to a Rush concert and one of the guys was so wasted that it ruined the show, I'd want my goddam money back. But, from this band's track record of nearly 40 years, I'd say the odds of that happening are about as good as someone getting nailed by lightning twice in the same day.

Author's note - Mika, how did I do other than the "thing" part in which I stumbled badly? :huh:

:D You done good! ;)

Thanks for adding your thoughts with mine! You're right about there being a constant... er... commonality... amongst Rush fans: we feel that we 'know' them, though of course this isn't correct - how can we know people we've never met, or at best, met through a meet 'n' greet? What we 'know' is our own perception generated through what we see via media (interviews, concert footage, documentaries, etc.) and filtered through our own special lenses as per what we want to see.

An example of this: I think Geddy is a down-to-earth, easy-going guy with a great, dry sense of humour, and is non-confrontational, humble, and rather soft-spoken (which is why his f-bombs still catch me off guard, lol!). My boyfriend has a totally different view of Geddy, through his limited viewings of Rush concerts I've played while he half-watches or the 'Beyond the Lighted Stage' I made him watch (!) - he thinks Geddy is arrogant, full of himself, sarcastic, and he wouldn't want to hang out with him, because he'd probably want to punch him. I changed the subject before I got too angry and defensive. But this just goes to show that everyone has their own opinion, especially of the boys' characters. I know my perceptions aren't universal truth, but heck, I like thinking of the boys as being 'good' in my books.

Would love to write more (oh dear!), but must run off to work.

Say, what's a GD writer, BTW? :)

GD is "polite" for goddam. You should be a goddam writer, because you're pretty goddam good at it! Please give your boyfriend a lesson on Rush. Sounds like he could use it!!

We Canadians... :LOL:

No offense, but the header of this thread silly. To assume--or want to believe-- they haven't is ludicrous.

The bigger question: WHO CARES?

To think there is some virtue in not drinking, smoking (eating meat, avoiding sweets...ad nauseum) is just plain silly. Anything used in moderation should not pose any problems to a stable individual. In fact, it probably will enhance their experiences, if not their life.

You can't see the reference to drugs as I removed it when I realized people were upset at such a suggestion. Save you skimming through the blog again !

Prime Mover has covered the salient points, yet again, very well.

Having met all three of your heroes, both through work, and socially, my take would be this.

Neil. Obviously I knew him long before he achieved fame in Rush. Neil hasn't really changed. Friendly, humerous, mainly black, and white, not many grey areas, very loyal, and generous, but doesn't suffer fools.

Geddy. Took longer for me to be accepted as he was very suspicous of my past, but once I was, I found Geddy to have a great sense of humour, says what he thinks. He is a more private person than Alex. I didn't spend a lot of time with him on my own but I guess he doesn't suffer fools either.

Alex. Alex is exactly what you would expect. Tremendous fun, always laughing, makes you feel very welcome. He was the one who would always come over if I was in a bar, and tell me to join him. I enjoyed every minute I spent in his company, and though a few times we had a good drink, I never saw him worse for wear, or anything but polite, hilarious, but totally in control.

Personally I think it is a mistake to have preconceived ideas about anyone, whether they are famous or not. If you do meet them, make your own mind up, other wise don't have a strong opinion, or you could be very disappointed. In this case accept Rush individually, and collectively, are brilliant musicians, and maybe not worry too much what they are like as people.

Remember first, and foremost they are human beings, and like all of us have frailties, make mistakes. Fame is no guarantee of a decent human being, but in the case of Rush I think they all are.

• Like 3

The reason I mentioned that in the first case was to prove Neil is in fact human, not a machine, a lot of you fans have this set idea that he is unfriendly, uncommunicative, and generally is a dour character. I have always maintained, as Chris Lea does in the part he wrote, Neil is a very funny, humane, caring guy. I never could have guessed at your reaction.

But you can tell just by looking at Neil that he is all of that - his sensitivity is written all over his face. I can even see the pain at times when he plays certain songs. And all this I got just from watching one DVD of one concert.

I am glad about this discussion, because when I was watching the Rush In Rio documentary and Geddy had a hissy about leaving his stage shoes in the van, I was disappointed in him. Then I thought to myself that I would probably be the same way after thirty plus years of fame and adulation, of being pampered and fawned after. But, then, my next thought was: "Lorraine, you are already like that without fame, fortune, the adulation of fans, etc. etc." :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

I don't suffer fools well either - which makes it difficult to be me. ;)

Edited by Lorraine

The reason I mentioned that in the first case was to prove Neil is in fact human, not a machine, a lot of you fans have this set idea that he is unfriendly, uncommunicative, and generally is a dour character. I have always maintained, as Chris Lea does in the part he wrote, Neil is a very funny, humane, caring guy. I never could have guessed at your reaction.

But you can tell just by looking at Neil that he is all of that - his sensitivity is written all over his face. I can even see the pain at times when he plays certain songs. And all this I got just from watching one DVD of one concert.

I am glad about this discussion, because when I was watching the Rush In Rio documentary and Geddy had a hissy about leaving his stage shoes in the van, I was disappointed in him. Then I thought to myself that I would probably be the same way after thirty plus years of fame and adulation, of being pampered and fawned after. But, then, my next thought was: "Lorraine, you are already like that without fame, fortune, the adulation of fans, etc. etc." :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

I don't suffer fools well either - which makes it difficult to be me. ;)

Yes, I remember watching that part in the Rush in Rio doc, but I was heartened by how mild of a hissy fit Geddy was having! :D That was one laid-back and easy-going tantrum!

I was more startled by his use of f-bombs, in breaking his nail and describing his love of soup! :D Oh, the soup.

You can't see the reference to drugs as I removed it when I realized people were upset at such a suggestion. Save you skimming through the blog again !

Prime Mover has covered the salient points, yet again, very well.

Having met all three of your heroes, both through work, and socially, my take would be this.

Neil. Obviously I knew him long before he achieved fame in Rush. Neil hasn't really changed. Friendly, humerous, mainly black, and white, not many grey areas, very loyal, and generous, but doesn't suffer fools.

Geddy. Took longer for me to be accepted as he was very suspicous of my past, but once I was, I found Geddy to have a great sense of humour, says what he thinks. He is a more private person than Alex. I didn't spend a lot of time with him on my own but I guess he doesn't suffer fools either.

Alex. Alex is exactly what you would expect. Tremendous fun, always laughing, makes you feel very welcome. He was the one who would always come over if I was in a bar, and tell me to join him. I enjoyed every minute I spent in his company, and though a few times we had a good drink, I never saw him worse for wear, or anything but polite, hilarious, but totally in control.

Personally I think it is a mistake to have preconceived ideas about anyone, whether they are famous or not. If you do meet them, make your own mind up, other wise don't have a strong opinion, or you could be very disappointed. In this case accept Rush individually, and collectively, are brilliant musicians, and maybe not worry too much what they are like as people.

Remember first, and foremost they are human beings, and like all of us have frailties, make mistakes. Fame is no guarantee of a decent human being, but in the case of Rush I think they all are.

Nicely said! Your descriptions of the boys (is it ok to call a trio of 60ish-year-olds 'boys'? :)) is pretty much what I'd expect, too, through my own pre-conceived notions! I do think Neil gets a bad rap as being dour and not fan-friendly, but not every celebrity is going to be an extroverted limelight hog! Neil seems to cherish his space and anonymity, and I can respect that. His personal life is of no concern of mine - it's only his musical life I should be interested in.

But where do we draw the line? Rush fans love Rush, but this very often crosses the line into liking the boys behind the music - as I've said before, I think this is part of the big appeal of Rush. The boys seem like people that I would like should I ever come across them, and thus they are subject to my own criteria for liking people, if that makes sense; my own values get held over them, which does include my opinions over taking drugs.

Whew, it gets too deep, doesn't it?

I've had a couple of situations before where I've held friends in a high esteem, and found out something a bit unsavory about them which has swayed my opinion. And I mean little things, like I discovered a girl absolutely loved the show Jersey Shore (I'm not a fan of these kind of reality tv shows) or another girl wouldn't curb her swearing around her young children. Because of my own opinions, I've kind of judged these people, but this doesn't mean that my appreciation of them as friends is lessened. They still bring things to the friendship table that I enjoy, and I simply have to accept a matter of different opinions between us (within reason, of course!) Although, there is one friend that has gone too far into the casual drug world, and I simply am not much interested in maintaining our friendship, because on her end it revolves around drugs too much... too much of a disparity in lifestyles.

Yes, we should like Rush only for the music, but I thnk it's a huge bonus (for me, at least) to enjoy great music that's created by seemingly awesome guys. I know they're not perfect, and not just in whether or not they've dabbled in drugs or whatever, and I don't expect nor want them to be. I wouldn't want them to be huge drug users, as this is not my way of life, but still, it's kind of selfish to inflict my own opinions on them.

And there seems to be a bit of a trend with, "well, it's the music industry, and it was the 70s; of course they did drugs!" I think it's more a matter of if they want(ed) to do drugs on their own terms, not as keeping with the expectations of the times or whatever. This is kind of representative of doing things on their own terms, which is another facet that fans like: Rush don't march to the beat of anything other than their own drum. But, of course, that's only my opinion as someone that has not met them!

Argh, I always end up with these long posts, sorry!

ETA: I'm Mika, BTW; the 'Prime Mover' is my posting level / member tag! :D

Edited by Mika

I was more startled by his use of f-bombs, in breaking his nail and describing his love of soup! Oh, the soup.

That is correct - it was the soup that got them through and the best part of the whole tour.

Yes!

But my very favourite part of the whole doc was the shrimp cot... oh, how I laughed until I cried when I watched it for the very first time, and how happy I was that Geddy had such a sense of humour!

I was more startled by his use of f-bombs, in breaking his nail and describing his love of soup! Oh, the soup.

That is correct - it was the soup that got them through and the best part of the whole tour.

Yes!

But my very favourite part of the whole doc was the shrimp cot... oh, how I laughed until I cried when I watched it for the very first time, and how happy I was that Geddy had such a sense of humour!

Mika, I almost forgot about that. I laughed and laughed and thought how quick he was with that comeback. It even cracked Alex up!

Also, when the credits started to roll, and someone (it sounded like Geddy...not sure) said to Neil, "Neil, no wonder why you're going deaf!" And Neil said, "What did you say?" Then Geddy (?) repeated it, and Neil said, "What?" :LOL:

I want to add this and I am only, of course, speaking for myself.

When you discover a band whose lyrics touch you at different levels as well as the music, it is only natural that you begin to look behind the music to the men who created music and wrote the lyrics. I don't mean them any harm, nor am I trying to be invasive into their personal lives.

I'm starting to really like reading the posts made by Mika and Lorriane. Some seriously common sense-infused women!

:ebert: