Most miserable person you've seen at a Rush show?

Alchemical

...unemotional...

This describes just about everybody that was sitting around me at the Cleveland show or just the audience overall, for the most part.

Probably because the setlist was garbage, for the most part.

The set list isn't garbage. You're a tool. Yes I would change out some songs, but it's a surprising list altogether.

...unemotional...

This describes just about everybody that was sitting around me at the Cleveland show or just the audience overall, for the most part.

Sad but true... (excluding myself of course!!) lol Lower sec 100 screamed yelled STOOD , not the entire show but enough to show my appreciation. Had to be considerate of the complacent senior crowd and really the lack of enthusiasm dragged me down. You want to feed off the energy of fellow concert goers and it drains your own energy to nil when everyone around you is sitting there like zombies. Agree with your other post on here also about the older crowd being so narrow minded when it came to the set list. Really surprised me how Rush loyalist could be so stuck in a time warp and want to hear the same songs tour after tour..... btw I'm 50 but when I see Rush live it's like I'm in my youth again Power Windows tour Richfield Coliseum..... Edited by softfilter

On September 15 an older couple was in front of us. During Alex's solo intro to Halo Effect, they asked us if the band was going to play any good songs. We proceeded to tell them that all the songs being played were good, but that they just never heard of them before. Then they sat down and grumbled to themselves until YYZ.

That couple can definitely be described as "casual fans".......too bad for them.....

Edited by Workaholic Man

I prefer to sit than stand. But I'm short, so I'm forced to stand. default/rage.gif

I'm very tall (6'6") and prefer to stand but have to sit on the back of the chair to reduce myself to the same basic height as those standing around me.

Edited by driventotheedge

Most miserable I've seen would have to be the heavier set woman who fainted because of the heat twenty minutes before the start of the show during the Snakes and Arrows tour in 2008. It was outdoors, August and one of the hottest days of the year. She had passed out and was subsequently removed by security because they figured she was drunk. I remember listening to her argue her case, along with six people around her defending her, but they didn't care. She was removed and I didn't see her again that night. Very poor judgement by security.

On September 15 an older couple was in front of us. During Alex's solo intro to Halo Effect, they asked us if the band was going to play any good songs. We proceeded to tell them that all the songs being played were good, but that they just never heard of them before. Then they sat down and grumbled to themselves until YYZ.

That couple can definitely be described as "casual fans".......too bad for them.....

I don't understand why people like that even buy a ticket. It's like people going to see Grateful Dead just to hear "Touch of Gray" or buying tickets to a Sabbath reunion show just to hear "Iron Man". I just don't get it. If all you enjoy hearing is stuff from Moving Pictures, then please stay at home and listen to the album. Like it or not, they made numerous records after that, and yes, some of them were better.

Edited by Snyder80

I don't understand why people like that even buy a ticket. It's like people going to see Grateful Dead just to hear "Touch of Gray" or buying tickets to a Sabbath reunion show just to hear "Iron Man". I just don't get it. If all you enjoy hearing is stuff from Moving Pictures, then please stay at home and listen to the album. Like it or not, they made numerous records after that, and yes, some of them were better.

I could be wrong, but perhaps many casual fans (with disposable income) go to a Rush concert like others go to the movies, or bowling, or to the neighborhood block party. It's simply something to do.....

And then they sit there and wait for Tom Sawyer to be played....

To you guys that take your wives...why even bother? My wife and I have established that we don't like a lot of the same music, and I have no problem with that..... I've seen a lot of concerts and didn't take her...I want to enjoy the show and not worry if she's having a good time or not...she let's me go and by the same token, I let her go to shows I don't want to see (Bon Jovi was one, Cher was another) When I figured this out was once when I took her to a show that had Foghat, ELO Part II and Kansas...She thought Foghat was decent, LOVED ELO, but when Kansas got about half way through their set, (and played Dust in the Wind) she was ready to go, and bugged the living crap out of me...I DIDN'T leave, and said, go to the car, go get a soda.. I'm staying! From that point on, I didn't force her to go to any shows, I ASK before I get tickets if she wants to go, and if she says no, I won't get her one...easy enough!

The OP's experience reminds me of the time I went to see ZZ Top with a friend...there was a husband and wife couple sitting in front of us, and during their set, pretty much just sat there, and politely clapped...when they started playing the 80's stuff that MTV made popular they GOT UP AND STARTED ROCKING OUT! Then when they finished with some other old stuff...sat back down, and did the same thing....really? At the time I was not a HUGE fan, but I enjoyed the playing, and knew MOST of the songs and had a good time...those two...didn't except for the few 80's "hits"... You just have to laugh...

I saw Bob Dylan about 20 years ago, and that was the only concert where I didn't know all the songs. I went to the Dylan concert mostly because he was Bob Dylan, and I wanted to see a living legend. It was a really good show....just Dylan, his three bandmates, and about 20 spotlights. The crowd LOVED it.....

That show aside, I would never spend a bunch of money on a concert where I know only a few songs. I go for the full concert presentation, where the songs I love are brought to life before my very eyes.....it's a magical experience.

Edited by Workaholic Man

...unemotional...

Probably because the setlist was garbage, for the most part.

The set list isn't garbage. You're a tool. Yes I would change out some songs, but it's a surprising list altogether.

Oh, please. The Body Electric? Territories? The Garden? Manhattan Project? I agree that some songs were great, and I'm all for a non-casual tour for the fans, but those songs? Even if you do not include The Garden due to it being a new song, The Body Electric, Territories, and Manhattan Project are all boring as hell. This is all arguable, but the 80s setlist was generally pretty boring, and the proof was all around you at the show. If they want to play obscure 80s songs, that's fine, but they could have made them FUN songs to listen to. Play Between the Wheels, Digital Man, The Weapon, Kid Gloves, THE ENEMY WITHIN for Christ's sake! They haven't played those songs in forever, and any one of those would certainly be more thrilling than sitting through Territories. What a snooze fest. A great chunk of Clockwork Angels was also a mistake. I'm all for them playing new songs, but maybe they could have spread them out, or displace some of them with some older ones. Take out Seven Cities and put in a shortened Xanadu. Take out The Garden and replace it with Circumstances/La Villa. I don't care how overplayed those songs are, they are certainly more thrilling than The Garden was.

Subdivisions

The Big Money

Force Ten

Grand Designs

The Enemy Within

Digital Man

The Analog Kid

Bravado

Where's My Thing

Far Cry

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Halo Effect (maybe replace it with The Trees)

Xanadu (abbrev.)

La Villa Strangiato

Between the Wheels

Red Sector A

YYZ

The Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

Now how much better is that setlist? And that's only with a few minor tweaks. This tour and setlist could have been so much better, AND catered to both hardcore and old school fans.

I'm always the most miserable person at a RUSH concert.

Deal with it.

default/rage.gif

default/rofl3.gif (Hey forum moderator....why don't the icons work??)

LMAO

Edited by tripdad

I never understood why people didn't cry at funerals. Then I stopped caring about how others reacted for I learned that folks have their own ways of dealing with and reacting to situations. When I am at a RUSH show, there are only 4 people present. Care to know who they may be?......

So, in essence, I really do not care who is happy or who is miserable at a RUSH show. Not my concern.

Edited by drgrendel

That's what surprised me the most, that Rush this stage of there career still draw "casual" fans to there concert. Edited by softfilter

Me when they played Nobody's Hero at the first Rush concert I saw in 1996

Seriously I don't understand why anyone would bring their significant other if that person doesn't like Rush, the ticket prices alone should make that prohibitive. My wife and I go to concerts together for groups we both like and go separately to groups we don't both like.

Had to be the guy behind me in Charlotte. It was like a play-by-play. Should have just stayed home and watched BLS. This guy thought he knew everything about Rush. Critiqued each song during the intermission and all he did was scream for songs that he knwe weren't being played. I finally turned around and asked if he was so miserable, why was he still here....

My wife and I have an understanding. When it comes to Rush - I need not ask - she is not a fan. She gets why I'm a fan, and kids me for listening to "geek rock", but I really don't care. I know I won't be dragging her to Rush, and she knows she won't be dragging me to Celine Dion.

She does joke and always says I should be the guy in the Volkswagon commercial - because "I am that guy" - lol.

This is all arguable....

YES, you're right! Then WHY do you even bring this shit up? It's all OPINION. Everyone has their favorite songs and their songs they don't like or think is "boring". Your dislike of the setlist is completely irrelevant to someone who does like the setlist, and vice-versa.

Don't like what they're playing? DON'T GO.

This is all arguable....

YES, you're right! Then WHY do you even bring this shit up? It's all OPINION. Everyone has their favorite songs and their songs they don't like or think is "boring". Your dislike of the setlist is completely irrelevant to someone who does like the setlist, and vice-versa.

Don't like what they're playing? DON'T GO.

Complaining about the setlist needs to stop. Not like it's going to change anything...

Last year a huge chunk of my section which was pretty close to the stage on the first floor was completely out of it as if they had been playing Dog Years over and over. The people in back of us were pissed and didn't want us to stand even for a moment. The tickets were excellent but nobody was standing. This year I was on the floor, front row. The energy was high at all times.

'07, West Palm....I had 3rd row Alex side, but there was a guy in a wheel chair with a busted knee exactly 2 row in front of me...front row...so I asked him if I could sit in his seat...front row...he said "HELL YEAH!!!! I'm not using it!!!!"...so that's where I sat for the show, great right?....WRONG!!!!

It was right next to not only the most miserable person at the show, but possibly one of the most miserable people on Earth. She was horrible, obviously dragged there by her husband and none too proud to let me know how miserable she was.

First she was royally pissed off I was not sitting in my propper seat and called security on me, but the guy in the wheel chair said it was fine...so did the security guy..that just added fuel to her fire.

She bitched about Geddy's voice all night saying "He's no Roger Waters".

No song they played was good enough for her ears...she bitched about every song.

She hated every song and kept bitching for them to play something she liked.

She kept bitching to her husband, who was an obvious pro at dealing with her as he thoroughly ignored her which only encouraged her to bitch to the next person in line....which was me!!!

She compared every song to Pink Floyd or Roger Waters whom she was obviously a big fan of and had just seen a couple weeks before...Now I love RW and PF but I hated him/them that night.

Of course I kind of egged her on, and kept nagging back, but after a while I grew tired of her (as I'm sure her now ex-husband) was and just sat back and enjoyed the show.

They were gone before the encore.