Most miserable person you've seen at a Rush show?

Alchemical

That guy playing the drums . . .

Really, though, I'm just not an excitable person. I'll clap or whatever, but I really just like it listen and watch the band play. I don't display a lot of outward emotion. My guess is if Neil was watching his favorite band play, he'd look a lot like I do.

I never understood why people didn't cry at funerals. Then I stopped caring about how others reacted for I learned that folks have their own ways of dealing with and reacting to situations. When I am at a RUSH show, there are only 4 people present. Care to know who they may be?......

So, in essence, I really do not care who is happy or who is miserable at a RUSH show. Not my concern.

This is, BY FAR, the best reply to this post!!!

Words that we should all abide by, drgrendel!!! CHEERS!!

(I will personally buy you a beverage of your choice if we should happen to meet at any future Rush concert!!!)

Most miserable person I've seen / possible worst date ever candidate

In Concord CA, on my way to the restroom, I passed 2 women.

Woman 1: Very butch, jeans, t-shirt with rolled up sleeves, standing and rocking with full fist pump

Woman 2: Very femme, light colored sun dress, sitting there with her hands over her ears, rocking back and forth with body language that said "make it stop, make it stop"

I'm suspecting that relationship did not go far...

And Roger Waters? His voice has been completely shot for over 20 years.

I myself was physicallly miserable last night. A high fever/sinus infection/ painful cough.

But there was this pathetic couple about two rows ahead of me, that SAT the entire first set, then LEFT at intermission. Guess not hearing Limelight/Freewill/TS/TSOR pissed them off.

That guy playing the drums . . .

Really, though, I'm just not an excitable person. I'll clap or whatever, but I really just like it listen and watch the band play. I don't display a lot of outward emotion. My guess is if Neil was watching his favorite band play, he'd look a lot like I do.

I'm the same way. I stand during the show if the people around me are standing but I don't air drum, jump, dance or do anything like that. When I saw them from the 4th row I just stood there in awe, taking in the music. I do participate in the audience participation parts of 2112 and Spirit of Radio and I clap and cheer between songs, but otherwise I'm pretty calm. I'm still enjoying the show as much as everyone else though!

There is an interview with Neil Peart on YouTube where this subject comes up. He says it does hurt to see someone's girlfriend with their fingers in their ears and encourages guys to leave them at home if they don't like Rush, because they're playing as best as they can. Edited by Aikenrooster

This may sound harsh, but its the miserable *people* that refuse to stand at shows then get on your case for standing up in front of them. Frankly, even the ones that dont complain have annoyed looks on their faces that can equally comprise a true fan's fun at shows.

This was my experience at the Bristow show (300 section). Thankfully, I also went to the Newark show, which was the polar opposite - packed with fans going nuts. Much better experience all around, in fact. Anyway, thats my rant...

I myself was physicallly miserable last night. A high fever/sinus infection/ painful cough.

But there was this pathetic couple about two rows ahead of me, that SAT the entire first set, then LEFT at intermission. Guess not hearing Limelight/Freewill/TS/TSOR pissed them off.

Maybe they had an emergency at home? How do you know they even left the building? Could they have joined friends at other seats? Maybe they went backstage?

Seriously? How does one jump to such astute conclusions?

Maybe they had an emergency at home? How do you know they even left the building? Could they have joined friends at other seats? Maybe they went backstage?

Seriously? How does one jump to such astute conclusions?

Been to many Rush shows. I know a bored person when I see one. They had looks of boredom/disgust on their face. They also had texas hair. and Van Halen shirts on.

Well then I guess you would label me as being bored and miserable at a RUSH show. Wonder why I continue to go?

BTW ~ If I would, in my profession, draw conclusions based upon- "I know it when I see it" line, I would be fired.

Well then I guess you would label me as being bored and miserable at a RUSH show. Wonder why I continue to go?

BTW ~ If I would, in my profession, draw conclusions based upon- "I know it when I see it" line, I would be fired.

Okay, the Texas hair, and VH shirts was a bad joke.

I'm just saying, if you were there, you would've seen it. They WEREN'T enjoying themselves, at all.

Everyone else was standing during the first set, and showing reserved excitement. Even with as sick as I was, I made sure I tried to act enthusiastic.

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying. However:

1. I probably would not have seen it because I concentrate on what is happening on the stage and not what is going on with the audience.

2. I have been next to (floor seats) people who have sat through concerts (RUSH shows higher enrgy level shows than RUSH I may add), showing no emotion no nothing - who have praised the event and the band after it was over. In sum, they enjoyed the crap out of it.

Sorry but unless someone tells me directly that they like or dislike something, I will never assume that I know.

I understand what you are saying. However:

1. I probably would not have seen it because I concentrate on what is happening on the stage and not what is going on with the audience.

2. I have been next to (floor seats) people who have sat through concerts (RUSH shows higher enrgy level shows than RUSH I may add), showing no emotion no nothing - who have praised the event and the band after it was over. In sum, they enjoyed the crap out of it.

Sorry but unless someone tells me directly that they like or dislike something, I will never assume that I know.

Just to add my two cents to this thread...why would anyone

drag their significant other to a concert that they have no

interest in? Clearly/hopefully you know what they like so why force

the issue? I'd never ask my hubby to go to Rush shows...nothing wrong

with going solo!

...unemotional...

This describes just about everybody that was sitting around me at the Cleveland show or just the audience overall, for the most part.

Ive been to a lot of Rush shows, 18 I believe, and this is pretty much every Rush show ive ever been to since Power Windows. Rush isnt exactly an emotional or very energetic band, so they dont really drag that energy out of their audiences. It's mostly people just standing around. Sometimes someone gets ambitious and will do some air drumming. -____-

Another band I love as much as Rush but for entirely different reasons is Live. Their energy was just insane, the exact opposite of Rush. Going to their shows was an amazing experience and I still believe they were a MUCH better live band than Rush ever was due to their raw energy and tension in their songs that Rush never had, and the audience really feeds off that so at Live shows everyone was really into. Ed is a much more dynamic frontman than Geddy. Look at these people. Having a great time when they go into the high energy choruses. When they go into the last chorus around 3:53 that place is blowin up.

Of course Rush are better players and their songs are more complex, but its just more fun going to Live shows. Or was anyway, they broke up recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH03SJjed-k&t=3m53s

Edited by trenken
  • Like 1

...unemotional...

This describes just about everybody that was sitting around me at the Cleveland show or just the audience overall, for the most part.

Ive been to a lot of Rush shows, 18 I believe, and this is pretty much every Rush show ive ever been to since Power Windows. Rush isnt exactly an emotional or very energetic band, so they dont really drag that energy out of their audiences. It's mostly people just standing around. Sometimes someone gets ambitious and will do some air drumming. -____-

Another band I love as much as Rush but for entirely different reasons is Live. Their energy was just insane, the exact opposite of Rush. Going to their shows was an amazing experience and I still believe they were a MUCH better live band than Rush ever was due to their raw energy and tension in their songs that Rush never had, and the audience really feeds off that so at Live shows everyone was really into. Ed is a much more dynamic frontman than Geddy. Look at these people. Having a great time when they go into the high energy choruses. When they go into the last chorus around 3:53 that place is blowin up.

Of course Rush are better players and their songs are more complex, but its just more fun going to Live shows. Or was anyway, they broke up recently.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ

...unemotional...

ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sorry, trenken. I'm not impressed...They broke up?? Good...we're not missing much IMO...I think you'd need to be very high and/or stoned to listen to this for more than 10 minutes.....video gave me a headache....Rush asleep are better than these guys...

No energy at Rush shows?? Well then you haven't seen me playing pinball dancing, fist pumping & bouncing off the person next to me at Rush Shows for the entire show...

Edited by rushfanforever!

It looks like the problem (that I had on pg 1) was due to Photobucket. That site's a mess. This is the poor bored girl I was talking about (let's hope this link works better).

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/217209_1025349468313_1038_n.jpg

...unemotional...

Now THAT is a rock concert! Excellent post that is spot on!

It looks like the problem (that I had on pg 1) was due to Photobucket. That site's a mess. This is the poor bored girl I was talking about (let's hope this link works better).

Okay, I got my baseball bat to beat up whomever dragged this poor girl to the concert! ID yourself please!!!!

I admit I took my wife to see Rush even though she isn't a fan. I have this crazy optimism in me that keeps telling me one day she will wake up and see how great they are :) But I paid her back by taking her to see Journey :)

I hope she didn't look like the poor girl in the picture!

Okay, I got my baseball bat to beat up whomever dragged this poor girl to the concert! ID yourself please!!!!

If I had to guess, I'd say it was her mother. If not her mother, it was at least an older woman who was rocking out, trying to get this poor girl into it, but she was just dreadfully bored.

There were a couple of these around me...but who cares, I'm sure they are over the torture.

At the Tampa show there were a couple of guys sitting next to my daughter who looked like traditional Rush fans. Late 30's or early 40's, looked like they could have been somewhat successful by their dress, but they drinking mixed drinks, like Gin and Tonics instead of beer (which I found kind of unusual)...I didn't say much to them but they might have been foreign.

Anyway, they kept asking my daughter questions like, "Is this a rush concert?", "Who is opening for them?" ect... When Rush came on stage they asked her who they were and if they were Rush or the opening act...They were gone after around the third song.