Most miserable person you've seen at a Rush show?

Alchemical

At tonight's show this woman sitting next to me was so obviously dragged there by her husband. She sat and looked pitiful almost the entire time while everyone around her stood, and in all honesty her husband only got excited for TSoR too. Makes you wonder why these folks even bother going to a RUSH show, much less purchase tickets within the first 15 rows!

Yeah, I am afraid this criticism will be made of my wife at the Atlanta show, unfortunately. She will be stoned and enjoy it, but she won't be standing and air drumming like me. Sorry, you had to sit with a unemotional couple.

...unemotional...

This describes just about everybody that was sitting around me at the Cleveland show or just the audience overall, for the most part.

One theory is that possibly many people don't know about or appreciate the new album. There is another possibility: I am probably going to direct the thread in a course that you may not wish, but I think technology has a lot to do with this. In the old days, all one had was the radio and the cassette tapes and that is about it. Now, one has the DVDs and the MP3s and the SlackerRadio and everyone can carry the music around with them everywhere and the reproduction of the sound is exact. I wonder how much this plays into it. I don't really see how someone can sit on their hands when Rush is giving every ounce of energy. I know there were very few people sitting in Charlotte tonight.

OK. This new code isn't working for me. I tried to edit that post 5 times and got no closer. It would show pics in my preview, but not actually display them. Here are a few different versions, of which I hope at least one works:

OK. This new code isn't working for me. I tried to edit that post 5 times and got no closer. It would show pics in my preview, but not actually display them. Here are a few different versions, of which I hope at least one works:

Yes, but I saw lots of kids rocking out. Actually, I was stunned at the amount of kids I saw. I thanked every parent that I saw who brought their kids, too. I was raised in a Pentecostal household, so I didn't know who Rush was, but, if I did, it would be considered the devil's music. Perhaps I would have been more successful in my life, if I had known who Rush was, when I was young. So congrats to the folks who are raising their kids correctly !!!!

...unemotional...

This describes just about everybody that was sitting around me at the Cleveland show or just the audience overall, for the most part.

One theory is that possibly many people don't know about or appreciate the new album. There is another possibility: I am probably going to direct the thread in a course that you may not wish, but I think technology has a lot to do with this. In the old days, all one had was the radio and the cassette tapes and that is about it. Now, one has the DVDs and the MP3s and the SlackerRadio and everyone can carry the music around with them everywhere and the reproduction of the sound is exact. I wonder how much this plays into it. I don't really see how someone can sit on their hands when Rush is giving every ounce of energy. I know there were very few people sitting in Charlotte tonight.

Yeah, OK, I typed an incoherent post, here. What I was trying to say is that because of technology, people, perhaps, don't have the anticipation of seeing the show, like they used to before. I don't know. We love them and that's all that counts.

My girlfriend isn't a RUSH fan, at least she wasn't before the show. She could maybe name two songs, most likely Tom Sawyer, and Spirit of the Radio, due to the air play they still receive. When we got to our second row seats before the show started, with the house lights still on, she kept saying 'oh my God, we're so close!!'. She didn't even really want to go, but I kept telling her I wanted her to experience a Rush show up close. When the show started, she kept pulling my arm, and yelling in my ear 'this is amazing!!!'. She recognized more songs as the show went on, and screamed her lungs out between songs. Maybe it was the $14 martini and $11 beer she consumed at half time, but she totally got into it, and three days later, she's still talking about it.

Everyone around me was getting into the show. I had a couple girls next to me. They looked totally like the 'librarian type'. Hair pulled back with liitle glasses. They were all quiet up to the time the show started. Once the show started, they went nuts. They were air drumming, and making moves like I've never seen while mouthing every lyric.

Seeing them live is altogether different than getting previews on YouTube or a previous tour DVD. Even though I've seen the staples being played a number of times, I still enjoy them differently when I hear them live.

At one point in my life I used to wonder why everyone at a concert didn't go absolutely nuts whilst the band they were seeing was performing. As i have grown older and matured, I have realized that people have their own reasonings for attending a show and and have a myriad of ways to enjoy it. I tend to just concentrate on my own level and enjoyment and let people to themselves. In sum, a person sitting down at a concert is not necessarily miserable. I can personally attest to that. Edited by drgrendel

On September 15 an older couple was in front of us. During Alex's solo intro to Halo Effect, they asked us if the band was going to play any good songs. We proceeded to tell them that all the songs being played were good, but that they just never heard of them before. Then they sat down and grumbled to themselves until YYZ. Edited by Dscrapre

I took my wife to CA - I previously took her to the Vapor Trails opening night in Hartford, CT and she was into it. That was a really special night.

For the CA tour, it's a long show. She knew most of the first set and was generally pretty happy. We were on our feet the entire show as we were on the floor. After intermission I could tell she wasn't comfortable standing for that long. She didn't know the material, but the light/video stuff seemed to make up for some of that for her. In the end, it was a bit too long for her - not knowing the new album at all. She was ready to leave before the encore, but we stayed for the whole thing and left during the exit video.

I'm not sure she would go to another show, but that's okay. I'll be at the next one around here.

Most miserable person I have ever seen was the gal that the cops were dragging out of the Toronto show on October 14th! She was not a happy camper as she was handcuffed behind her back and drug out on her knees screaming bloody murder!

Anyone that goes with a boyfriend..husband...whatever the case...should at least TRY to look like your having a good time. Isnt that what a good relationship about? Doing things for your other?

..T he ones that sit , or stand ...silent..still..no emotion...COME ON !

Anyone that goes with a boyfriend..husband...whatever the case...should at least TRY to look like your having a good time. Isnt that what a good relationship about? Doing things for your other?

..T default/rage.gif he ones that sit , or stand ...silent..still..no emotion...COME ON !

Yeah, or don't go. I mean, I wouldn't go with my wife to see a country music concert, because I don't like that music. Let someone else have those seats.

..T default/rage.gif he ones that sit , or stand ...silent..still..no emotion...COME ON !

First RUSH concert my fiance attends with me, we land front row....she clapped and smiled the entire time. In her own words..."I absorbed the whole show." I expected her to enjoy it in her own way.

I really do not get all these expectations that posters are placing here....this is America right?

Edited by drgrendel

I think we can all agree that lying/faking it is the basis of any good relationship.

@cygnusNah. It's more likely what happens when a bunch of stuck in 1976, 1980-81 old people pay good money expecting to only hear those songs, totally forgetting the fact that Rush has more in their catalogue than the first album, 2112, PeW, and MP.

Edited by TheWK90

...unemotional...

I was in section 101, about center behind FOH mix and most were sittin for entire show! I realized the new generation of Rush fans are very proper, polite and sorry but very BORING!!!!!!!!!! I shall WISH THEM WELL.