Disney buys out Lucasfilms; Ep. 7 on the way

Presto-digitation

Forget the Dark Side, Leia is now a Disney Princess!!

Exactly. It all becomes meshed now. One day soon we may just see Cinderella slice and dice Simba with a lightsaber.

I'm looking forward to new SW movies. They just might be great.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget the Dark Side, Leia is now a Disney Princess!!

Exactly. It all becomes meshed now. One day soon we may just see Cinderella slice and dice Simba with a lightsaber.

I'm looking forward to new SW movies. They just might be great.

This is one of the most horrifying mental images I have ever seen. :scared:

I was never a fan of Cinderella but The Lion King was my childhood in a nutshell!

&& the only Disney individual I want to see Leia compared to is MULAN, because she was awesome. While all the other Disney heroines were off chasing down the gentlemen she was out there "making a man" out of everyone (and saving China, among other things).

But I digress as I so often do. Honestly this whole idea kind of frightens me. Then again, I don't think Disney could degrade the franchise any further. If anything, maybe they could bring back a little bit of that old feeling from the GOOD films? Regardless I don't much want a seventh film... unless it's going to be an awesome reboot like Star Trek​ (2009), but come on, that was J.J. Abrams. That man will go down in history like Spielberg.

I've been thinking about it, and the whole Disney Star Wars thing might not be a bad idea. What the prequels really needed was to not be written by George Lucas or directed by George Lucas, and now that problem is solved. And Star Wars really always appealed to kids (or the kid in everyone) with lots of violence, but never really showing a lot of blood or anything, so maybe Disney will do it justice, especially since they'll certainly have a lot of pressure on them to deliver a respectable product.

I've been thinking about it, and the whole Disney Star Wars thing might not be a bad idea. What the prequels really needed was to not be written by George Lucas or directed by George Lucas, and now that problem is solved. And Star Wars really always appealed to kids (or the kid in everyone) with lots of violence, but never really showing a lot of blood or anything, so maybe Disney will do it justice, especially since they'll certainly have a lot of pressure on them to deliver a respectable product.

Keep in mind that Disney did Pirates of the Caribbean, which had a fair amount of violence and the like in it. While I can't say the later films were all that fantastic, I thought the first couple were great and some of Disney's best non-animated material. So I think they could do a decent job with it.

I was actually talking about this with my English professor (he's a big sci-fi fan who's actually published a few Star Wars novels through Pocket Books or whoever does them) and he pretty much said what's been said - that it couldn't really get worse.

There have been successful reboots, like the Batman franchise and of course Star Trek. I think if they treat the seventh film like a reboot rather than a sequel, it could be good.

So I saw Kevin Smith give his spoken word/comedy thingy last night (very fun) in Greenville, South Carolina and he dropped this nugget: Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire) has been chosen to write the screenplay for Ep. VII. So if this is true, you heard it here first.

I'd like to find a DVD version of the original un-re-special-super-duper-effect version.

The opening scene in the Star Wars (1977) is still burned into my garbage brain all these years later as I sat there in a dark theatre as a 10 year old girl beside my step-dad - an endless ship chasing a diplomatic transport. A classic cinema moment to me. The re-do was fine, but I want to see Han kill Greedo in cold blood ("Yes, I bet you have"). I don't want silly creatures at Mos Eisley. Okay, I liked the new Jabba footage.

Star Wars lost me at the Ewoks. I still have some old trading cards (Canadian and U.S. edition) and an original super-size comic of the first movie. I have no idea where to get rid of such things.

Hopefully, Disney can do for Star Wars what Abrams did for the Star Trek reboot. Brilliant, I think.

And, yes, I'd pay to watch Episode VII. :sigh:

Keep in mind that Disney did Pirates of the Caribbean, which had a fair amount of violence and the like in it. While I can't say the later films were all that fantastic, I thought the first couple were great and some of Disney's best non-animated material. So I think they could do a decent job with it.

I was actually talking about this with my English professor (he's a big sci-fi fan who's actually published a few Star Wars novels through Pocket Books or whoever does them) and he pretty much said what's been said - that it couldn't really get worse.

There have been successful reboots, like the Batman franchise and of course Star Trek. I think if they treat the seventh film like a reboot rather than a sequel, it could be good.

I think a reboot would be a mistake. Go forward. Use some of the old characters/actors and age them as they really are. Hell, Luke wouldn't even really be THAT old if they decided to use real time. Naturally, they should keep R2 and C3PO. Sparingly using about 5 or 6 of the old characters would be enough I think to have it grounded enough in the series WITHOUT it being milked too much.

I think a reboot would be a mistake. Go forward. Use some of the old characters/actors and age them as they really are. Hell, Luke wouldn't even really be THAT old if they decided to use real time. Naturally, they should keep R2 and C3PO. Sparingly using about 5 or 6 of the old characters would be enough I think to have it grounded enough in the series WITHOUT it being milked too much.

:yes:

Huge mistake IMO. There's plenty of material to continue on and create an original movie with original characters along with the older versions of the current ones.