Clockwork Angels, The sad thing about it!

losingit2k

The Sad thing about Clockwork Angels is that is came so late in there career. Meaning that we are not going to hear hese great songs live as often as we heard say "Limelight, Tom Sawyer, Freewill, 2112, Subdivsions, and The Spirit of Radio. It is such a great album that I wish It would have been released years ago so we could have had more appearances of these songs in Concert. At this rate we might hear them again maybe once or twice and thats it. And thats brings sadness to my heart, but at least we were able to hear them!

Even if Rush had never released CA, they wouldn't go out as 'caracatures' of themselves because they've always been progressing, evolving. The bands that record the same album over and over, or just play their classics at their concerts run the risk of becoming parodies. No matter what I though of any current Rush album of the time, I still respected them for doing their best at whatever approach they were taking. There are no crappy Rush albums. And as far as CA being too late in their career, totally not the case for me. I'm thrilled to hear what I consider their best album since PoW in this day and age of a declining music industry. The CA show in StL was amazing. The 9 CA songs in a row had the crowd more engaged then the 5 back-to-back S&A songs for that album's tour. CA live was similar to MP live, it didn't become monotonous and the Rush kinda flew through it. Great energy.

They are not going anywhere yet! Rush forever. default/drool1.gif

Well said, Chicken hawk.

My point was basically they will not continue on and on just playing their hits...Bob Dylan is a good example, and BECOME a caracature of their former selves. He was here in town...my wee little town...in August for a concert. Kind of sad, really. The Stones and The Who put on good shows, but, again, I'm sure there's a lot of "they're STILL touring?" being said out there.

It is sad that their career is coming to a close, but I'm happy that they, themselves, do not want to be "that" kind of band.

Even if Rush had never released CA, they wouldn't go out as 'caracatures' of themselves because they've always been progressing, evolving. The bands that record the same album over and over, or just play their classics at their concerts run the risk of becoming parodies. No matter what I though of any current Rush album of the time, I still respected them for doing their best at whatever approach they were taking. There are no crappy Rush albums. And as far as CA being too late in their career, totally not the case for me. I'm thrilled to hear what I consider their best album since PoW in this day and age of a declining music industry. The CA show in StL was amazing. The 9 CA songs in a row had the crowd more engaged then the 5 back-to-back S&A songs for that album's tour. CA live was similar to MP live, it didn't become monotonous and the Rush kinda flew through it. Great energy.

so true! classics are only classics because of time! I was @ the Charlotte show last night and the 2nd half with CA material and the strings were my fav. of the night. we probably have a few more tours to savour this new instant classic songs of CA, lets enjoy em while we can!

I have to admit that the 11/1 Atlanta show was very much a bittersweet experience for me for this very reason. I went into it knowing that this band's clock is winding down, like it or not. I went into it knowing that it could very well be my last show. I hope not, but I really don't think I've got too many chances left to see them again. And you're right. This new album is very much a masterpiece. I'm not disappointed by how "late" it appeared in terms of their career timeline. Frankly, I'm just grateful that the album I've been anticipating for so many years now finally got made. This is the record that I was imagining back when Snakes & Arrows came out. I'm just happy that we have it to enjoy, and that at the very least, I caught one show on that tour. If this does prove to be their last hurrah, (and I hope it's not), I can say that I plugged in & participated as much as I could. If 11/1 does ultimately prove to be my last show, I won't have any regrets. Every time I had a chance to see them, over the last 26 years, I pretty much took advantage of the opportunity each time. True enough, I would very much have liked to have caught one of the Red Rocks shows, as that venue is particularly special to me for other reasons, but that's cool. I did about as much as I could, and I'm good with that. If this is their last record & tour, there's no question that they will have gone out on top, on their own terms, in a spectacularly successful fashion. I hope there's more, but we'll just have to wait and see... Edited by ARParr

sadder still to watch it die then never to have known it.

(...well you knew someone was going to say it! lol)

Yeah, but they'll go out on top...and not as a caracature of their former selves.

See also: The Police / Synchronicity.*

*The live reuinion thing doesn't count.