2013 US tour definitely happening

nhlrush

I was guessing that a summer 2013 tour to hit some of the markets, and the outdoor venues with the CA setlist (and with the string section) that they didn't hit this tour, (after a nice break) then a 2014 as a greatest hits sort of tour for the 40th anniv. and culminating in a farewell to touring sort of show...come on, they're 60 (or soon to be) how much longer can it really go on??

That said, I will see them at any chance I can until they call it a day!

I was guessing that a summer 2013 tour to hit some of the markets, and the outdoor venues with the CA setlist (and with the string section) that they didn't hit this tour, (after a nice break) then a 2014 as a greatest hits sort of tour for the 40th anniv. and culminating in a farewell to touring sort of show...come on, they're 60 (or soon to be) how much longer can it really go on??

A few years ago, Geddy was dealing with some issues in his hand /fingers. Last tour, Neil had the whole ear infection thing. Now, he's dealing with tennis elbow.

(John Arrowsmiths excellent photos at -->"] show Neil's new appliance.)

There will come a point where they can't physically perform at the level they would demand from themselves. After this tour, they could strip it down on the next tour, go back to having an opening act, and just do two 45 minute sets of "hits" for an R40 tour. But, I doubt it. This next leg is probably their last tour.

Edited by Rush-O-Matic

It goes without saying that there are no promises of tomorrow or the future in general....so it could certainly happen that any one of them decides its just too much of a grind, or they don't feel they have the chops anymore to play an extended tour, or they just don't want to anymore....

but...

Even Neil, who has a very young daughter growing up, has said that a band plays live and I just don't see a day when Rush puts out new material and then doesn't tour to play the album (or at least a big chunk) live....

The R40 tour is a total no brainer....they can go out and play all the usual venues, possibly stretching it to two 30-40 show legs seperated by a few month break, and play a setlist that brings out all the old time Rush fans....for example, they play some sort of R40 overture, jacobs ladder, Broon's Bane/Trees/Xanadu, Hemispheres, Natural Science, Something for Nothing, etc. etc.

That kind of setlist brings out of the woodwork a whole slew of rush fans who are big fans of the 70's stuff....Throw in some deep cuts from the 80's, 90's and you have a successful tour without having to put out any new material...

then after an extended break, they get together probably for the final time (but who knows) and put out another hour of new material, and then tour extensively off the new album....

there's no way to know if any of this will happen, but as long as they all stay healthy and interested, I don't see why they wouldn't keep going for another 6-8 years.....10 years might be stretching it, and yeah, three hour shows are a grind, especially for Neil, but he has made some adjustments with his solos to spread it out over the whole show...

I would be shocked, really shocked, if Rush ever had an opening band again on a tour....I don't see them scaling back the show to play for less time on a nightly basis...I think they either stick to the current format that has gone on since the Test for Echo tour or they just don't do extended tours anymore....

If they decided not to do an extended nationwide tour, but wanted to do a limited engagement set of shows like multiple nights in cities like New York, LA, Chicago, etc...that would be better than no live Rush at all, but I see a few more extended tours before they are done...

My guess would be an all out tour or none... no limited engagement, short tour of the world's most famous small venues kind of thing...

But I really do feel that they'll at least give a "40" tour a shot, My thoughts... start the show with the R30 Overture, play stuff from the olden days...start the second half with the R40 overture picking up where the R30 left off with snippets of stuff from Signals through Counterparts or T4E and then another set....(just a thought)

Anyway....

If Neil is feeling that it's not happening, though, I don't see if happening at all. Physical stuff sucks, and I'm finding that as I get older, recovery isn't as easy as it once was! I don't see myself playing a hard set like that on drums for 3 hours anymore, his velocity is probably twice to three times as hard as mine these days, and I'd be willing to bet he feels it in his bones on a constant basis!

It goes without saying that there are no promises of tomorrow or the future in general....so it could certainly happen that any one of them decides its just too much of a grind, or they don't feel they have the chops anymore to play an extended tour, or they just don't want to anymore....

but...

Even Neil, who has a very young daughter growing up, has said that a band plays live and I just don't see a day when Rush puts out new material and then doesn't tour to play the album (or at least a big chunk) live....

The R40 tour is a total no brainer....they can go out and play all the usual venues, possibly stretching it to two 30-40 show legs seperated by a few month break, and play a setlist that brings out all the old time Rush fans....for example, they play some sort of R40 overture, jacobs ladder, Broon's Bane/Trees/Xanadu, Hemispheres, Natural Science, Something for Nothing, etc. etc.

That kind of setlist brings out of the woodwork a whole slew of rush fans who are big fans of the 70's stuff....Throw in some deep cuts from the 80's, 90's and you have a successful tour without having to put out any new material...

then after an extended break, they get together probably for the final time (but who knows) and put out another hour of new material, and then tour extensively off the new album....

there's no way to know if any of this will happen, but as long as they all stay healthy and interested, I don't see why they wouldn't keep going for another 6-8 years.....10 years might be stretching it, and yeah, three hour shows are a grind, especially for Neil, but he has made some adjustments with his solos to spread it out over the whole show...

I would be shocked, really shocked, if Rush ever had an opening band again on a tour....I don't see them scaling back the show to play for less time on a nightly basis...I think they either stick to the current format that has gone on since the Test for Echo tour or they just don't do extended tours anymore....

If they decided not to do an extended nationwide tour, but wanted to do a limited engagement set of shows like multiple nights in cities like New York, LA, Chicago, etc...that would be better than no live Rush at all, but I see a few more extended tours before they are done...

I would have to wonder why a "normal length" set is out of the question. Very few bands put on these marathon shows--yeah few bands write music for so many years, but still, it's not unheard of to play one or one and a half hours instead of double that. It would still be a long show, and they'd have a much easier time. Sure folks will whine. Big whoop--people are already whining even though the show keeps getting longer. "The videos are too long and they suck, I hate the setlist, Geddy's bass was too loud, Geddy's bass was too soft, the strings were too loud or soft, the VIP schwag sucks, Alex is losing hair, I couldn't see Neil because Geddy's nose was in the way, it was so boring I fell asleep, my ass is too fat for these tiny folding seats," etc, ad nauseum.

They are human, so why insist on super-human show durations?

It's kind of funny to see everyone laying out Rush's plans for the next 10 years. All I can say is "easy for you to say" lol

What we know about these 3 guys is that they have incredibly high standards and expectations of themselves. Like it or not, they are physically not holding up the way they used to and that will only get much worse. The point is nearing when they will not be able to play at this level anymore and will not want to go out and do it half assed or only a 90 minute set list. It's just not their nature.

Yes, Rush is making more money then ever from touring and that's really the only way for them to make money these days but that doesn't mean they will keep doing it for the sake of making money. If they are breaking down and just not enjoying it anymore because of the physical toll they won't do it.

I would say the 2013 tour is a foregone conclusion, if nothing else for the chance to hit outdoor venues....something they prefer over indoors.

After the 2013 leg, expect a long rest. through 2014. That brings us to 2015 and approaching 65. One more tour? One more album? Call it a day? Hard to say, but definitely sense the end is near

Well, I think all my speculation is based entirely on the premise that yes, they might call it a day at any time for any reason...

One day Neil could wake up and say, "I have a little girl, I don't feel like being away from her anymore," and boom, he's done...rush is done...

My speculation is based on the fact that they know the end is near and they are really juiced right now that they have this kind of popularity and can still perform at a high level....when that high level starts to fade, who knows? days, months, years....no one knows...

My commentary is really a best case scenario, what I am hoping for, not expecting....

I just did 10 shows and have three more Texas shows to go for 2012 specifically because it could end soon. we just don't know....

having said all that.....

I still think the R40 tour is a no-brainer....if they want to do it.....

They don't need new material.....if they play the epic classics, the venues will be full....they are on a roll....and think of this....let's say they come back from Europe and do 30 North American dates from July-September....

If they came out with an R40 tour in spring 2014, that still gives them the entire Fall/WInter of 2013-14 to rest....and without having to worry about a new album, it could truly be rest, without all the writing sessions, meeting, etc...it can just be time off....

but on the flip side....these guys like to work, they might start getting ancy to write some new material....and with the success of CA, they might feel like its time to seize the moment....

if you read the last few months of interviews, it sounds more like they know this is the swansong and they want to take advantage of the time left, not sit around, i think they feel they have their 70's and beyond to sit around and rest on their achievements....to me, I see them going full steam ahead (forgive the pun)...

but as always, one of them slams their hand in a car door, yeah, its all over, that's the way life works...

I have very little doubt they will celebrate their 40th birthday with a massive tour with a major setlist aimed at covering all their era's. I am talking a 25-28 song setlist. A monster. And side one of 2112 being one of the shows highlights and draws for a lot of the older 1970's era Rush fans.

R-40 seems like a no brainer for the band as their last tour if that is in the cards in the next two years.

25-30 more dates next year......a nice break in the winter and then R-40 to start up in full spring of 2014 through the end of the year.

Then......who knows.

I think it makes a lot of sense as long as they are feeling good. They are on a major roll and true resurgence.

I would have to wonder why a "normal length" set is out of the question. Very few bands put on these marathon shows--yeah few bands write music for so many years, but still, it's not unheard of to play one or one and a half hours instead of double that. It would still be a long show, and they'd have a much easier time. Sure folks will whine. Big whoop--people are already whining even though the show keeps getting longer. "The videos are too long and they suck, I hate the setlist, Geddy's bass was too loud, Geddy's bass was too soft, the strings were too loud or soft, the VIP schwag sucks, Alex is losing hair, I couldn't see Neil because Geddy's nose was in the way, it was so boring I fell asleep, my ass is too fat for these tiny folding seats," etc, ad nauseum.

They are human, so why insist on super-human show durations?

I think they just enjoy playing?!? With the body of work that they have, I think it's tough to NOT play that long...and I'd almost be willing to bet that back when they still DID the opening act thing, that someone pissed them off and they said "that's it, we're doing our own show, no opener" I don't think that the length of the show will dictate whether they continue to tour or not...

People don't seem to realize Rush has already scaled back their sets starting with the Time Machine tour. The intro/outro videos of that added up to almost 11 minutes. Factor in the 20 minute intermission and you don't have a 3 hour show, you have a 2.5 hour show and it used to be that Rush's and most everyone's standard concert length was approx. 2 hours with no intermissions. I'm not complaining as I'm sure these tours are very tiring and you are still getting a longer set than any other band is doing these days.

I think most of next years concerts will be outdoor.

I wish they would of done this for Cleveland, skip the Q this year.

And play Blossom Music Center Cuyahoga Falls late spring/summer?

Whatever they decide to do, I'm ok with. They've busted their butts for nearly 40 years (actually longer than that), and they have nothing left to prove. If CA is their swan song (I hope it isn't), then I can't imagine them going out on a better note.

That being said - I hope they do another 2013 leg and come to Raleigh. Then I hope they do an R40/farewell tour and then ride off into the sunset.

let them tend their gardens...

I think they just enjoy playing?!?

All the more reason to shorten the set once the current format becomes too strenuous. They may have high standards, but when it comes down to retiring vs continuing, they could easily extend their touring career by just playing shorter shows, especially if they really love to play as much as they seem to. I tend to think they'd want to keep going as long as possible instead of stopping due to an easily remedied obstacle.

They didn't come to KC, so I ventured to StL in the unlikey scenario they don't come here on a second leg. But they will, Rush has never missed KC and we always have a huge turnout and response. And Rush missed bigger markets than KC this time. I think there is a four month gap between US and European dates, so yeah, they're comin' thru again.

Bottom line....

they skipped a ton of usual stops, if they want another successful US run, its there for the taking....

I can think of at least 30 places that they either skipped or could return to....

They will no doubt return to Chicago, Philly, NY/NJ, Detroit, West Coast...etc...

Plus they skipped Denver, Portland, Nashville/Memphis, Raleigh/Greensboro, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Milwaukee, etc. etc.

Plenty of venues to play....

I've noticed that the hat, and a shirt I got from the shows I attended, have "North America 2012~2013" stitched and printed on them.

I can't wait for the "2013" part of the tour!!! ;)

Well, there you go. If you can't trust merchandise stitched together by underpaid child labor in a Communist country, who can you trust?

:dweez: