Cleveland Show...Are you kidding me?

tripdad

The entire second tier was curtained off. Last year the show was a sellout. This year they close off nearly half the venue. It's no wonder Rush and several other bands avoid Cleveland dates and bypass the city. What a joke. Friends of mine are complaining that the induction is in LA this year and that it should be in Cleveland. Are you kidding me? Would anyone go?

It's my home town, but I enjoy seeing them in Chicago, Toronto, and Pittsburgh so much more since the people come out to see them!

Anyone else feel this way?

BTW...Why the heck do you shut down the forum on a show day? Maybe Cleveland wasn't much

of a show day after all.

Yeah trip, I've been saddened watching the slow sales up to show time.

It is embarassing seeing those black curtains covering the upper tier when were suppose to be a Rush hot spot.

The lower half from where i was sitting did look like it was full for the most part didn't see to many empty seats.

But the audience reaction seemed to be luke warm at best no disrespect to those who did there part and showed enthusiasm and energy. But it was mostly a subdued crowd until the encore set when everyone seemed to wake up.

What do you mean by the second tier curtained off? When I looked up from the floor, I saw very few empty seats, and the crowd was darn near deafening from where I was.

Yes, the upper bowl was black curtained that's the illusion to make it look full.

My seats were in lower sec 100 and from there I had a good overview of the crowd.

In 2002 Vapor Trails tour I was on the floor also at the Q/Gund arena and i also believed it was a full house until some TRF members exposed the truth that there was only around 8,000 and upper bowl was curtained. Glad to hear from where you sat crowd was responsive. But gotta tell you I didn't hear the same reaction lot of silence and polite clapping inbetween songs.

Yeah trip, I've been saddened watching the slow sales up to show time.

It is embarassing seeing those black curtains covering the upper tier when were suppose to be a Rush hot spot.

The lower half from where i was sitting did look like it was full for the most part didn't see to many empty seats.

But the audience reaction seemed to be luke warm at best no disrespect to those who did there part and showed enthusiasm and energy. But it was mostly a subdued crowd until the encore set when everyone seemed to wake up.

I found the same thing in Toronto... crowd seemed more subdued until it reached the encore stage. Personally, I thought it was more a result of the setlist...

The reason why Buffalo sold well is because the city was ignored on the last tour. RUSH needs to mix it up a bit from tour to tour. Abscence makes the heart grow fonder. Edited by drgrendel

The reason why Buffalo sold well is because the city was ignored on the last tour. RUSH needs to mix it up a bit from tour to tour. Abscence makes the heart grow fonder.

Yep. in October 2010 they ended the first leg of the TMT tour in West Palm Beach. 6 months later they started the second leg of the tour in Ft Lauderdale 30 miles down the road. Seemed stupid to me.

The reason why Buffalo sold well is because the city was ignored on the last tour. RUSH needs to mix it up a bit from tour to tour. Abscence makes the heart grow fonder.

Yep. in October 2010 they ended the first leg of the TMT tour in West Palm Beach. 6 months later they started the second leg of the tour in Ft Lauderdale 30 miles down the road. Seemed stupid to me.

Yeah, I think that was part of the reason for some of the low attendance at least in certain markets (like Cleveland) I do believe economy played factor with that in certain markets (like Cleveland) higher ticket prices many just can't afford it. I remember back in the day Rush would play Cleveland back to back years with new releases and no problem selling out often staying two nights. With ClockWork Angels being such a great album, really thought it would inspire a larger turn out. Times have changed.

This has been happening with RUSh for a while now. It's not what night the concert falls on or the economy, it's RUSH over saturating an area. Didn't RUSH play Columbus not too long ago? The days of RUSh playing back to back 15,000 seaters are over. They can definately sell out an arena if it's a one night stand withing a 3 or 400 mile radius.

The Vapor Trails tour was the worst for over saturation. Here in New England they played Hartford, Boston and Manchester NH. I think they pulled in maybe 5,000 for the TD Garden show (seating capacity 14,000 for concert). This was by far the worst attended RUSH show in my 50+ times seeing them.

Buffalo had 15,000 or so. I know the 300's (top tier) were full because I was in the last row.

Yep, the show was packed, but Buffalo has always been a great Rush town and they've never had much trouble selling tickets here. That's why it was so surprising when they didn't come here on The Time Machine tour. The show last friday would've sold well even if they did play here on the last tour. This area has always supported Rush very well.

Newark was packed, too. I saw on their website a concert can fit about 19,500 folks and it was very full that night...they played in Brooklyn next, but you have a very saturated market to fill the seats there over a few concert dates.

Was disappointed in Pittsburgh's turn out, but, that's like an Ohio concert date...people have many options around there and it gets all thinned out.

Buffalo had 15,000 or so. I know the 300's (top tier) were full because I was in the last row.

Yep, the show was packed, but Buffalo has always been a great Rush town and they've never had much trouble selling tickets here. That's why it was so surprising when they didn't come here on The Time Machine tour. The show last friday would've sold well even if they did play here on the last tour. This area has always supported Rush very well.

True, given the spillover from Canada to Buffalo it's almost a "home" show for them.

I think economy and over saturation could be a cause for low attendance.

There's still a good percentage of the population in this area that work in the manufacturing field.

Myself I work in a steel mill and my wife works at a dairy plant, decline in demand has forced companies to reduce hours and lay offs worse this year then last. The domino effect takes place and one effects the other, I can see someone facing the decision of paying bills and mortgage, kids needs to going to a rock concert. "Well I did see them last year and things are tight" That's a no brainer what you should choose. Found it interesting what mayyz said about perhaps a change of venues, really I could see Rush playing at the Wolstein Center on Cleveland State campus many big acts play there. Don't know the seating capacity but it probably a little smaller then the Q.

Edited by softfilter

Charlotte was curtained off last night as well. Strange to see. Maybe it has something to do with $111 tickets (plus fees).

Maybe it's the set list. Dnt blame the arenas, it's not like they didn't want to sell those seats...are people really that naive?

I really regret not going to see them during Time Machine now. I'm sure ill get blasted, but last night was my least favorite Rush show ever. I totally understand the band wanting to support their new album, but I just don't like the way they did it last night. I see a lot of concerts, and of course, most of these are in support of new albums..but most bands tend to have a good mix of the old and new. Rush was very heavy on the new. I couldn't get into it, until the encore, and then it was over. That will probably be my last Rush show, unless they do something like time machine again.

I took my much younger wife to her first show a few years back during the SA tour. She didn't know anything about the band, but she really enjoyed it. So much so she wanted to go back when they came back to town within a year (I think). She really liked that too. I could tell last night she wasn't getting into it. But, neither was I.

Again, the band can do what they want, and I'm sure people will support them no matter what, but when they charge really high ticket prices, really expensive merchandise(saw a $50 T-shirt, oh but it did have sleeves), not mixing in enough old vs new material, in a bad economy, your gonna have dwindling attendance. I'm thinking that this may be their Swan Song and they are getting what they can, one last time...it was most likely my last time for sure.

Edited by Rush1981

Charlotte was curtained off last night as well. Strange to see. Maybe it has something to do with $111 tickets (plus fees).

Maybe it's the set list. Dnt blame the arenas, it's not like they didn't want to sell those seats...are people really that naive?

I really regret not going to see them during Time Machine now. I'm sure ill get blasted, but last night was my least favorite Rush show ever. I totally understand the band wanting to support their new album, but I just don't like the way they did it last night. I see a lot of concerts, and of course, most of these are in support of new albums..but most bands tend to have a good mix of the old and new. Rush was very heavy on the new. I couldn't get into it, until the encore, and then it was over. That will probably be my last Rush show, unless they do something like time machine again.

I took my much younger wife to her first show a few years back during the SA tour. She didn't know anything about the band, but she really enjoyed it. So much so she wanted to go back when they came back to town within a year (I think). She really liked that too. I could tell last night she wasn't getting into it. But, neither was I.

Again, the band can do what they want, and I'm sure people will support them no matter what, but when they charge really high ticket prices, really expensive merchandise(saw a $50 T-shirt, oh but it did have sleeves), not mixing in enough old vs new material, in a bad economy, your gonna have dwindling attendance. I'm thinking that this may be their Swan Song and they are getting what they can, one last time...it was most likely my last time for sure.

I don't that anyone, certainly not me is blaming the arenas. I personally am disappointed with the support they are getting from the fans in some cities, for me Cleveland.

Regarding the set list (again), it's all about personal preference. I am sorry to hear you didn't get into it. For me, I love the new album and I love hearing the new songs live. I have seen RUSH several times over the past 30 plus years and I like hearing the new stuff because, well it's new! Your story of the show being your least favorite doesn't deserve being blasted. It's your opinion and that's fine. Many things go into making a show to be called your favorite beyond the set list. For me, this tour is probably my second favorite of all tours I have been to. R30 is by far still my favorite. Why? Loved the set list, loved the people I went with, and it was somewhat a return to seeing RUSH live for me after a many year break.

A casual fan stopped in my office the day after the Cleveland show and proclaimed it was the best concert he and his wife have ever attended. Not the best RUSH, but the best overall. He has only seen RUSH twice, last year and this year. So you have to agree, it's all about personal preference!

Rock on!

I'm really surprised this late in the game that Rush fans wouldn't want to hear more "deep cut's" or seledom played songs from often overlooked era's of the band. My impression always has been that the fan's have been with them for along time and not newbies and get bored with hearing the same songs every tour. So it is a shock that this tour has brought such negative responses because I'm sure Rush thought the same thing. And the fans would be happy for a different various set list.BTW Clock Work Angels was well worth hearing almost in it's entirety. Edited by softfilter