The 'We love Geddy's singing!' thread!

Mika

My favorite DVD release. :wub:

The Snakes and Arrows? Me too. Great songs, and Geddy sounds amazing in it. The first couple of times I watched it, I couldn't get over how nice his voice sounded. And, of course, I got more exposure to songs like 'Digital Man', 'Entre Nous', and 'Mission'. I think this version of 'Mission' is my very favourite, and I prefer this version of 'Digital Man' to the original, too. :) I listen to the orginal, and I'm like, "Hey, where's the climactic vocal ending? The 'He plays fast FORWARRRRRRRD, yeah'?"

Oh my gosh when I listen to "Ghost of a Chance" from the DVD I just melt into a puddle.

• Like 1

Was it in the BTLS documentary where a guy goes "I just couldn't believe it. THAT voice came out of HIM?!"

Geddy Lee ROCKS. One of the best vocalists out there, for sure!!! He sounded damn good back in July, some of the notes he hit and actually held flawlessly- my jaw dropped more than once!

• Like 2

My favorite DVD release. :wub:

The Snakes and Arrows? Me too. Great songs, and Geddy sounds amazing in it. The first couple of times I watched it, I couldn't get over how nice his voice sounded. And, of course, I got more exposure to songs like 'Digital Man', 'Entre Nous', and 'Mission'. I think this version of 'Mission' is my very favourite, and I prefer this version of 'Digital Man' to the original, too. :) I listen to the orginal, and I'm like, "Hey, where's the climactic vocal ending? The 'He plays fast FORWARRRRRRRD, yeah'?"

Oh my gosh when I listen to "Ghost of a Chance" from the DVD I just melt into a puddle.

Agreed (although I don't know if I would have expressed it that way, myself- but I get what you're saying, gangster). I got to see that song performed on the Roll the Bones tour, I'm sure, but I don't think I've seen it performed since. (I don't remember if it was done on the Counterparts tour or not, but that was my last tour until this year).

Of the live albums over the past decade, Snakes and Arrows is the one I go back to the most frequently, and Geddy is a big reason why. I don't have much time to watch the DVD releases, but it's always nice whenever I do.

I wanted to find this thread because of an earlier post, a couple of months back, so I've got some searching to do. Excuse me...

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I could listen to Geddy singing "Whoaaaa-hoaaaaaa-hoaaaaa" all day :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwcRgNpOsjA&feature=share&list=PLBvnnsm1pE_Jx7Eb7zlQhLYp7X9isC4qY

Can't wait to hear the properly recorded version of this song :wub:

• Like 1

A nice old bump indeed, Eel...

Just noted an old post of mine in this thread where I said I normally skip a thing or two on Hold Your Fire...? Absolute bollocks! I do not. Must have been thinking of Power Windows (as I almost never listen to the first nor last song on that one- but it's still a very strong album).

• Like 1

I love Geddy´s voice so much that it´s even great when he is sick, like during Time Machine Tour!

No other can be sick and still sound that good... I am happy that I at least saw Rush live 3 times....

• Like 2

I love Geddy´s voice so much that it´s even great when he is sick, like during Time Machine Tour!

I agree! I heard so much about how 'bad' Geddy apparently sounded on the Time Machine release, before I ever actually heard it. I thought he still sounded very, very good, despite not feeling well.

• Like 1

I have too much to say on this topic so will probably keep coming back to this thread to add things as I think of them!

As a starting point, I want to comment on how sassy Geddy can be with the way he delivers certain lines. Some examples are:

-"A face of naked evil" in Carnies

-The verses in Good News First, especially "What happened to your old benevolent universe"

-The middle eight in Clockwork Angels

It's almost like he's drawn inspiration from the vocal style used in R&B with some of these parts and I love it :)

• Like 1

nice bump, my wife would approve! for me the rush thing is mostly about alex's guitar playing and i'm much more interested in guitar stuff than in vocals and lyrics in all music, but i'll give props to geddy's voice because the guy sings his ass off, always did. he doesn't have the same range anymore but he still has power and balls and with a band like rush that's what really matters!
  • Like 1

LIVE IT ALL AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINNNNNN!!!!!!!!

This!. As a singer (and a girl), this is even difficult for me to sing!

Yes, love Geddy's voice. It was a main draw the first time I listened to their music, that, and the lyrics. Geddy sings with such emotion. It really wasn't until I sat front row in front of Alex that I really could appreciate the amazing talent that man has. I could hardly believe how fast his fingers flew across the strings. It was weird many times my brain had a hard time comprehending that the movement I was watching were creating the music my ears were hearing. Truly an awesome band.
  • Like 1

Ha ha I was just thinking that one reason women, well me in particular, might like Geddy's voice is that we can sing along with him. I mean I have trouble singing along with someone like Barry White...kwim.
  • Like 1

I can't really sing along to early Rush songs like 2112, Closer To The Heart, and others, but i still love his voice.

Another great moment, much more recent.

"They call me the Working MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN"

That sustain!

Just noted an old post of mine in this thread where I said I normally skip a thing or two on Hold Your Fire...? Absolute bollocks! I do not. Must have been thinking of Power Windows (as I almost never listen to the first nor last song on that one- but it's still a very strong album).

If it was the last two you had it right the first time... :)

Ha ha I was just thinking that one reason women, well me in particular, might like Geddy's voice is that we can sing along with him. I mean I have trouble singing along with someone like Barry White...kwim.

I'm a guy and I can sing along with him too. XD

• Like 1

If it was the last two you had it right the first time... :)

:tsk:

No, it wasn't anything!

I relish every brilliant note of that album!

:madra:

That's very true.

How did we make it EIGHT pages without including THIS? GOD! This performance features absolutely MINDBLOWING emotional singing by Geddy! Power is oozing out of EVERY note, and that scream at 2:20... WOW! His best performance EVER!

• Like 1

Other great moments!

"Beauty flashing in the AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIR!" (Garden Road)

"The gifts of life, are held, within these WALLS!" 2112 (Passaic 1976)

"My lifeblood, spills OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVER" (2112)

Any live version of "TORN APAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART" from Cygnus X-1, way more powerful than the studio! Examples include the Different Stages album, as well as the Black Forest and Oak Oppression bootlegs.

• Like 1