Do you prefer indoor or outdoor venues to see RUSH

zac2112

Just curious to get feedback, I much prefer the outdoor ampitheaters since they are built specificaly for concerts, and the accoustice are so much better. Downside obviously the weather, and having to start the show while its still light out in the summer?

I'm torn cuz I love outdoors at The Gorge. Just a beautiful setting and great acoustics. Sleep Country Amp not so much plus with all outdoor shows I don't like it being light out (as you mentioned) during the first half of the show no matter where it's at. Haven't seen the guys indoors since first leg of the T4E tour so looking forward to Key Arena in 2 weeks and 6 days (not that I'm counting or anything tongue.gif ). I'm row 16 on the floor so acoustics should be fine. Generally with indoor arenas, being lower is better for sound quality, no matter how far back.

All in all I suppose I'd say outdoors if it's The Gorge and maybe indoors if not.

I prefer outdoor for acoustics. The Tampa and West Palm aphitheaters sound fantastic, no echo or slap from the back of the room.

QUOTE (briremo @ Oct 24 2012, 03:52 PM)
I prefer outdoor for acoustics. The Tampa and West Palm aphitheaters sound fantastic, no echo or slap from the back of the room.

Agreed, and I think the atmosphere of an outdoor show is better as well. Havent made it down to WPB but Tampa as you know has a great big, mostly grass parking lot which is great for pre show tailgate which adds to the overall experiance imo.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Oct 24 2012, 04:09 PM)
For RUSH?

Indoor all the way.
They put so much into the 'show' that gets lost in the hour+ of daylight.

Although I would love to see them at Red Rocks and The Gorge next year (if those do indeed happen).

I agree, Indoor all the way for RUSH. The Visual Aspect alone is reason enough.

yes.gif

i think its cool that Rush is now playing larger indoor venues after years of the smaller outdoor venues. their popularity is surging so they can sell the extra seats. not bad for a band that's got a 40 year lineage. now someone's gotta convince them to keep playing TIL 2112!

that being said, i did really enjoy them in the outdoors. I've seen them at Jones Beach, at Montage Mountain and PNC Arts Center among other outdoor venues. There is no better outdoor venue than Jones Beach though - seeing a band as the sun sets on the ocean, what is really better. The seats I had at Montage Mountain though were so close to the stage, but the indoor light shows are a great reason to see them indoors. I remember the Presto tour and the big Rabbits and the lasers... can't do that so well outdoors!

Outdoors, provided the weather is agreeable. I think on the R30 tour, we got misted on a little but we had a tarp ready to go. It wasn't *too* bad, but a deluge would've sucked. Though we did see one poor girl carefully trying to navigate some mud and she ended up eating it flat on her butt, lol.

Also, with the lawn seating we always get, it's easier to get away from loud drunk douchebag frat boys wearing backwards white baseball caps if need be. wink.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Oct 24 2012, 08:21 PM)
I like 'em both! But my favourite place to see Rush play is at the Jiffy Lube Live in Bristow, VA because every Rush gig I've been to there has been pure magic wub.gif

That is a nice venue.. I haven't seen Rush there, but I drove from South Carolina just for the opportunity to see Dream Theater and Iron Maiden on the same show, at that venue back in 2010.

If Rush used an opening act, I'd prefer the outdoors because it would be dark by the time the opening act finished... But, I agree with others about prefering indoors for the visual aspect. There's nothing like the whole place getting dark and the intro starting...then bam!

I grew up seeing Rush play 'only' in arenas, so there is something magical about arena shows for me. Haven't seen them in an arena in 15 years and I'm really looking forward to this tour.

I like both indoor and outdoor about the same. Although indoor concerts always feel more personal to me.

Living in Los Angeles, outdoor venues all the way. The Hollywood Bowl for S&A was awesome and the Verizon Ampitheater in Irvine for R30 was great once I got past the horrendous traffic jams that place is stuck with.

The fact the boys are playing at Gibson Theatre(indoors) in LA is one reason I am staying away this tour. Saw both legs of TM tour and was horribly disappointed not only in the sound but the place is deteriorating both structurally(seems like a/c system wasn't added when they turned it from an outdoor venue into an indoor one) and when it comes to customer service. Guess I miss the days when the word "usher" actually meant they ushered you to your seat with a flashlight. Now you walk in the doors and get a human doing a Mapquest imitation and is just screaming directions to you. Really presents an annoyance when a late arriver is standing around looking for their seat or find someone else in their seat because those people got no help either.

Edited by jjgittes

I prefer outdoor, Blossom Music Center then the Q downtown Cleveland.

Although Last year Time Machine was a magical experience, looks like it's back down to cold reality. Low attendance for this Sunday's show for whatever reason. sad.gif Blossom usually draws better, of course wouldn't of been a good idea end of October North East Ohio outdoor venue tongue.gif Today is unseasonably warm but come Sunday cold and rain.

Interesting question. When I was younger it was indoors all the way. As I have gotten middle aged I am taking better care of my ears so as not to lose my hearing when I am actually old.

Now, despite my not being thrilled with it still being light out for an hour +/- of the show, I prefer outdoors.

Depends on where, and my seats! Hershey, PA outside is HORRIBLE unless you are in the first 20 rows! It's a big old football stadium, and the side (bleacher) seats are so far removed from the stage area that it's just not worth it....field seats over 20 rows are just bad...flat field...no view....yuck!

Places like Montage Mountain in Scranton aren't bad because they made the venue for concerts, and I've seen a bunch up there, and have no complaints as long as you're within the "seated" section...if you are on the field, they are crap!

Saw the boys in Allentown at the fairgrounds, and it wasn't great, but wasn't really bad....my seats were decent...

Inside, most places have good sight lines....can't complain TOOO much, lately...