60 members have voted

1. 1. Reminder of past classic riffs

• Caravan (Double Agent)
    • Clockwork Angels (2112 Grand Finale)
    • The Anarchist (Fountain of Lamneth)
    • Carnies (Stick it Out opening riff)
    • Headlong Flight (Bastille Day)
    • Seven Cities of Gold (Virtuality)

For those of us that are Rush fans mainly because of Lifeson, this album is a dream come true. Alex is the greatest riffmaster of all time in my book. He just comes up with the coolest stuff and this album is a wet dream for those of us who love that stuff.

For me, each of these classic riffs remind me of a past riff. Some have been discussed and are more obvious, but others might just be my ears.

Caravan and Double Agent are pretty obvious and I think has mentioned here

CA and 2112 Grand Finale-eerily similar

Anarchist and Fountain of Lamneth-this one might be the biggest stretch, but that riff in the beginning section of Fountain is very close tp ALex's riff in The Anarchist right after "grows around me like a cage"

Stick it Out and Carnies-Both of the songs opening riffs are pretty sick, though Carnies is a little sicker

HF and Bastille Day-well chronicled and Rush even admits they did it on purpose

Seven Cities and Virtuality-maybe less obvious. Maybe I'm alone there, but I sure do hear it

Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with my comparisons, what's everyone's favorite riff?

I voted Carnies but in no way does it sound like Stick it Out to me.

The Anarchist has his best solo on the album though, sounds straight outta' GUP.

Edited by Del_Duio

Carnies by far. That's one of the meanest lines he has ever played. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to come across well live.

Oh, and the solo from the Anarchist is just beyond great (along with basically every other part of that song)

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Oct 24 2012, 12:16 PM)
Carnies by far. That's one of the meanest lines he has ever played. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to come across well live.

Oh, and the solo from the Anarchist is just beyond great (along with basically every other part of that song)

Yeah I thought the same thing. He doesn't seem to try to get the pinch harmonic thing goin' on stage. Takes quite a bit away from the riff.

+1

That is the sickest riff since Permanent Waves.

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Oct 24 2012, 10:11 PM)
I voted for "Carnies", but with all due respect...

...here's a picture of The Riffmaster,

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-su53ihaOJxo/T5C6ZUuCDVI/AAAAAAAAACY/wcbr8u4lVyI/s1600/ti.jpg

aye 1287.gif

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Oct 24 2012, 11:11 PM)
I voted for "Carnies", but with all due respect...

...here's a picture of The Riffmaster,

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-su53ihaOJxo/T5C6ZUuCDVI/AAAAAAAAACY/wcbr8u4lVyI/s1600/ti.jpg

Alex sure looked different back then

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Oct 24 2012, 03:06 PM)

Yeah I thought the same thing. He doesn't seem to try to get the pinch harmonic thing goin' on stage. Takes quite a bit away from the riff.

Not everyone is Billy Gibbons, and it's been since the 80's since he could do all those harmonics live.

Edited by Weakly Criminal

I voted for The Anarchist but Carnies is a close second. There really is a lot to love on CA for us Alex fans

Voted Headlong Flight cause its the only pair of songs listed that actually sound the same.

While I agree that a couple may be a bit of a reach, I am surprised you don't hear the Double Agent riff in Caravan or especially 2112 GF and Clockwork Angels. I think that one in particular has even been mentioned a couple times on here