Signals is 30 years old

LedRush

1 is the best Rush album, 19 is the worst  

53 members have voted

1. 1. 1 is the best Rush album, 19 is the worst

I have very mixed feelings about this album. When I first started to like Rush after borrowing a copy of Chronicles, Signals was where I stopped listening. While I've come to appreciate the album, I still rank it in the bottom half of Rush albums.

It was also the first album showing the band getting weaker. I've always appreciated that our favorite band explores new sounds, but this will always be my least favorite or those sounds. Signals had some good songs, but I always look upon it with a little bit of "what if".

I put it at no. 2. This was my first exposure to Rush (New World Man) and therefore is somewhat special. I also think that this was the album where they developed the best balance between bass, gtr, and keys. It also contains two of my favorite Rush songs ever.

As older Rush fans will testify we had no youtube, iTunes or myspace so after the huge success of Moving Pictures we had no idea of what Signals was going to sound like.We did get info from interviews saying there would be more keyboards.

As an album it has its flaws soundwise but it wouldn't be Signals otherwise.I personally think it has dated really well and Alex's guitar work on the album is underated,and I always find myself going back to it.

Anyone remember those big equalizer units we used to get with stereo systems back in the eighties.Who else spent ages trying to get Alex's guitar to come out of the mix more?

Still love it and The Signals tour was the best live experience I've ever had.

I have it as 13th on my list. I bought this album the day it came out and I was a freaked out by the synths. The only track I liked immediately was Digital Man (Alex's solo! the syncopated rhythm!), the rest of it....meh. It took a while for this album to grow on me and I enjoy it today, but it is still a lower half album for me.

It was the first Rush album I owned on CD (1985) and one of the first three CDs I bought (Eagles Greatest Hits Vol II and Pink Floyd DSOTM were the other two and I still own both of them). Signals, I sold after I updated to remastered in '97.

Where did 30 years go? Holy cow.... huh.gif

I voted 8 but meant 9...It's a great album...

But, for me, I ranked it a little lower than some earlier albums like Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves...

And I enjoy some latter albums like Power Windows, Grace Under pressure and Clockwork Angels a bit more than Signals...

Still an amazing album and I can remember the day it came out and hearing New World Man on the radio, which I believe is one of Rush's best songs played live.

Edited by WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

Extremely overrated. Outside of Subdivisions and maybe The Analog Kid, they missed the mark. Most of the rest of the album has "ok" stuff, but certainly nothing I'd call a classic or in the same ballpark as their previous stuff.

This is the album that got Terry Brown fired and you can hear it in the recording. It just didn't work

Signals has been one of my favorites, and currently ranks number 2 on my list. I feel that this, with the exception of Countdown, is a lyrical masterpiece. Music wise, the addition of synth without reaching the levels it is used in proceeding albums is excellent, and I can never get enough of this. From beginning to end, this is a fantastic album that I can always listen to.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Oct 23 2012, 06:26 PM)
Extremely overrated. Outside of Subdivisions and maybe The Analog Kid, they missed the mark. Most of the rest of the album has "ok" stuff, but certainly nothing I'd call a classic or in the same ballpark as their previous stuff.

This is the album that got Terry Brown fired and you can hear it in the recording. It just didn't work

I always got the impression that he was fired because he didn't like Signals or the direction the band was going. I remember a quote from somewhere that he begged them not to do Digital Man.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Oct 23 2012, 07:18 PM)

I always got the impression that he was fired because he didn't like Signals or the direction the band was going. I remember a quote from somewhere that he begged them not to do Digital Man.

Maybe the murky production was Terry's revenge. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Oct 23 2012, 09:18 PM)

No, I think it had ,ore to do with arguments during the recording process about the direction, and I don't think Rush was happy with the way it came out in the end. Recording and mixing with implementing keys wasn't his bag anyway

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 23 2012, 02:42 PM)
I gave it a 6. It's a very strong album, except for Losing It, and Countdown. I'm also not fond of Analog Kid at all.

I gave it a 6 as well, only because I Feel Clockwork Angels is a better overall album and knocked it out of the top 5th positions. As I see it now, my line up goes as follows:

Hemispheres

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Clockwork Angels

A Farwell to Kings

Signals

Power Windows

Grace Under Pressure

Counterparts

Hold Your Fire

Not in bad company.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Oct 24 2012, 07:14 AM)
Signals
Power Windows
Grace Under Pressure
Counterparts
Hold Your Fire

Not in bad company.

All evidence to the contrary. This looks more like my bottom five list.