My thoughts on the Brooklyn Show NYC 10.22.12

Digitallware

I got home from the Brooklyn show(Rush' first time ever playing in Brooklyn) about an hour and a half ago and I must say I was impressed by how on top of their game the guys were. Geddy's voice was top notch and they all played very well!

If you went to the Brooklyn show what are your thoughts on the show?

p.s.

Also I made a bootleg, would like advice on cleaning it up, bass seems too high otherwise sound great with my laptop's "rock" eq. Any advice much appreciated!

So what does everyone think of the new venue in downtown Brooklyn? Just curious as I know it's located in a dicey neighborhood...

Used to live in the Midwood section (Kings Hwy & Ave P) of Brooklyn about 20 years ago so things might have changed for the better....hopefully....

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Oct 23 2012, 12:13 AM)
i got some fantastic footage in HD and stereo cant wait to share in youtube but im tired as f**k and i gotta work tomorrow but ill start uploading tom afternoon. Got some nice pictures as well!
1022.gif

Awesome! I can't wait to check it out, thanks Astroboy2112! Please burn/backup the raw footage to DVD for archival purposes, you never know if a video DVD could be made out of it!

QUOTE (rushfanforever! @ Oct 23 2012, 12:06 AM)
So what does everyone think of the new venue in downtown Brooklyn? Just curious as I know it's located in a dicey neighborhood...

Used to live in the Midwood section (Kings Hwy & Ave P) of Brooklyn about 20 years ago so things might have changed for the better....hopefully....

laugh.gif

I'm not too familiar with the area(though I live in NYC) I would say while there I didn't notice anything odd or wierd. Mostly empty streets, quiet, people in their 20's and 30's. Seemed chill to me.

The area around the venue has been really sanitized. Wasn't scary at all.

As far as the show.....It was excellent! Sound was good in Section 117, Row 2. The bass was a bit low in the mix when everything else was pounding, but stood out nicely when it was highlighted. The crowd was a lot like my wife and myself. Into it, but relaxed. We sat the whole show and enjoyed it very much. After building chicken coops for 9 hours today, there was no standing for me.....but at 42, I tend to sit where I can relax.

My wife said something at the end of the night that I have to agree with. "I missed Working Man". Strangely enough, even though it's been played a number of tours before this. I liked her idea......drop 1 song from CA, put Tom S at the end of the 2nd set, and add WM to the encore before 2112. That would put it over the top........

QUOTE (LocalsBandGuy @ Oct 23 2012, 12:21 AM)
The area around the venue has been really sanitized. Wasn't scary at all.

As far as the show.....It was excellent! Sound was good in Section 117, Row 2. The bass was a bit low in the mix when everything else was pounding, but stood out nicely when it was highlighted. The crowd was a lot like my wife and myself. Into it, but relaxed. We sat the whole show and enjoyed it very much. After building chicken coops for 9 hours today, there was no standing for me.....but at 42, I tend to sit where I can relax.

My wife said something at the end of the night that I have to agree with. "I missed Working Man". Strangely enough, even though it's been played a number of tours before this. I liked her idea......drop 1 song from CA, put Tom S at the end of the 2nd set, and add WM to the encore before 2112. That would put it over the top........

Agreed Working Man makes every Rush show BETTER. I'm listening to my bootleg and it reminds me how awesome they were last night!

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Oct 23 2012, 12:13 AM)
i got some fantastic footage in HD and stereo cant wait to share in youtube but im tired as f**k and i gotta work tomorrow but ill start uploading tom afternoon. Got some nice pictures as well!
1022.gif

Excellent!!! I hope you got Alex doing the 2112~Shuffle!!!!!

What a GREAT show! My 3rd so far, and the best! Venue and area were great too. If that place was once a dump, it sure isn't now.

Clockwork Angels was just very powerful tonight, I LOVE it. I was on the floor getting my Rush~freak on... I think I have whip~lash, LOL!!!

Alex's little 2112 dance while he was, err... patiently waiting for his replacement guitar(must have blown a string) was HILARIOUS!

I like this set list best between the two, especially for TMP, and 7 Cities.

GREAT SHOW!!!

trink39.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I live north of the city (Westchester County) and just got in and, naturally, the first thing I did was sign on here to see if anybody else had posted about the show and found that a lot of other folks had the same idea I had!!

What an great show!! I agree with the comments about the Alex dance - very funny. Hey - it might start something new, rather than an Alex rant we can have an Alex dance!!

The setlist was killer. I had managed not to find out what was on the setlist in advance so I was very pleased and shocked by some of the songs (wont say which ones but if you know what the setlist is like you will understand my comment). It was not just all the CA songs (which were very good) but all the older songs. Glad to see one album in particular get a lot of attention. Trying not to give away to much just in case somebody wants to read this but avoid spoilers - though why you would come here and then expect not to encounter them is beyond me.

Best of all was the condition of Geddy's voice. I have said several times in TRF that I have grave concerns over the state of Geddy's voice. I saw the guys once on TMT and twice of S & A and Geddy sounded much, much better than on either of those tours. On both of those tours he needed several songs to get warmed up and going. Even after that point he had some trouble. Not on this night. It was like he had gotten in a Time Machine and gone back about 10 years. Wow!!!

One other note on the Alex dance - he may may have been out of commission (or rather his guitar was) but the guys are just sooo good. Geddy and Neil never missed a beat and once Alex got that replacement guitar he just got back into 2112 without a bit of trouble. Total professionals, all 3 of them (not that its a shock, but its nice to see it in action - hope somebody caught it and can post it someplace).

The arena was a bit smaller than I thought it might be, but not bad. It was great that it was right next to the subway stop - based on reputation I had no interest in staying around in that part of town so I was glad to be able to leave with a horde of very happy Rush fans and get right on the subway and leave. I actually think I have herd that that part of town has gotten somewhat better, but I had no interest in testing it.

I thought the crowd was ok and all the comments I got on the subway and back at Grand Central Station were real positive.

Heck of a show - given how good it was I am now wondering if perhaps, just perhaps the guys might have one additional album and / or tour left in them (something I had discounted till tonight). Will keep my fingers crossed hoping.

trink39.gif

Howdy,

After several mishaps where I was to meet a friend, waited on the downtown IRT platform for over an hour to later discover he'd gone straight to Brooklyn, I made it there over a half an hour into the show. By then my friend had gone, and his ticket went to waste.

This was a downer for two reasons: for one I had planned on recording the performance, and while I did and the sound is good for what I did catch, I do not have much of the first set. Secondly, in missing the beginning the flow of this gig did not work for me and it wasn't till the final 40 minutes after they had finished the Clockwork Angels material that I was able to get into it. I was so disconcerted by my experiences I didn't even buy a t-shirt as I always do after a gig.

I am hoping they return next year on a second leg of this tour so I have the opportunity to see this show in it's entirety.

I will be editing my portion of the show and uploading it later this week. Perhaps I, or someone else, could create a matrix with someone elses recording of the first set. From what I've heard this is one of my best.

Peace,

Jeff

I went to Brooklyn show last night. First thought was about the venue....it's LOUD!

I'm amazed at how great Geddy's voice still sounds, especially during Headlong Flight, which he nailed. Also enjoyed hearing some songs that I've never heard live before. I never worry about set lists. Usually, the more obscure songs turn out to be the one's I enjoy the most (last show, Presto, this show, Grand Designs)- The 9 songs from Clockwork Angels all sounded great. Headlong Flight, while not my favorite song on the album, is ridiculous live

All I know is that for 3 hours, I was entertained, had an amazing time, was blown away, and got to see the best band in the world in a beautiful new arena. What can be better?

My wife and I had a blast last night, firstly its great having Rush play a show a mere fifteen minute subway ride from my front door!

There was a SNAFU with getting people through the doors, first you had to line up and get the security wand and pat down and then line up again to get your ticket checked, I couldn't understand why they couldn't have done that in the same line.

Teething problems I suppose as the venue's only been open a month.

By a stoke of luck section 217 was curtained off and we ended up in a lower section with a great view.

Loved the first set, I actually felt quiet emotional when they broke into "The Body Electric" as I thought back to listening to that album on my walkman in my teens and wishing I could see it live and here it was 22 years later.

As a few others have remarked Vocally Geddy was on fire, hitting every high note.

Really enjoyed the string ensemble, they were a great addition to the sound, The Clockwork material was fantastic especially, Caravan, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight Seven Cities and The Garden.

Loved Alex's impromptu dance routine during his guitar fail in "2112" I imagine he thought, "well these people paid to see a show, so godammit I'll give them one!" 2.gif

I was gonna go to this one (would have been my second Rush show), but finances weren't there at the moment as well as being on a Monday night, which makes it difficult with college. I'm hoping that they will tour in NY again on the second leg, hopefully at SPAC. Hearing everyone talking about this show makes me wish I found a way to see them at Barclay. Here's to hoping!

Time for to post a few more thoughts. I was beat when I got in last night and had planed in advance to take today off so I could recover from the show (although I obviously posted upon getting in from the show).

As somebody else mentioned, loud arena. Did not mention last night but I thought Neil's drum work was (as always) great. The 2nd solo did not get the same reaction the first one did but I liked them both a lot.

As far as the songs go, Analog Kid was great and got a huge fan response as did Headlong Flight. Subdivision, Big Money, Grand Designs - wow.

The Garden and Halo Effect really hit me. I thought they might and they did with a vengeance. The first because I am feel its sort of a goodbye song and I don't want it to be, the 2nd because of some things in my personal live. Had to fight of tears a few times. Thats never happened to me at a Rush show before.

Somebody else mentioned hoping they come back around and play SPAC next year. I 2nd that motion. Thats normally where I see them. Since I don't think they will do that I blew through a lot of my hard earned $. Picked up the CA book, tour book and not 1, not 2 but 3 t-shirts.

Wonderful show. smile.gif

Band was great.

Crowd was eh (probably a lot of casual fans expecting to hear Limelight, Red Barchetta, etc.)

Sound in the uppers was awful. Subdivisions was barely identifiable. From what I've read, sound in the the lower bowl was fine. It's a new arena, so I would assume that sound guys from different bands communicate with one another and will offer tips on what works and what does not.

I loved the set list. I love all the great MP and PeW stuff, but I've heard it all before 1,000 times. It was good to hear some of the mid-late 80's stuff for a change.

I didn't love the trio of solos from Neil. The first two seemed like he just pulled out sections from his usual solo; and the electronics just seemed gimmicky.

Good show, overall.

I live in Brooklyn and never expected to be able to travel one subway stop from home to see the greatest band in the galaxy!

The show was phenomenal. The venue was big but still intimate somehow. The staff were very nice and efficient. The only bummer was shelling out $12 for a 1.5 oz pour of Makers and $10 for a Stella on draft. No biggie in the scheme of things.

As for the show, what can I say...I purposely avoided all Rush related websites/forums so that I could be surprised by the set. And I was most definitely rewarded for this. The Analog Kid? Big Money? The Body Electric? Grand Designs?! Never would have guessed the boys would play half of Power Windows.

One thing I have to say is that this set list struck me as focusing on dark themes. Starting with the ominous keys of Subdivisions (outcast youth), later with The Manhattan Project (nukes), Big Money (greed/corruption) and Territories (war). The second set also revealed a dark vibe on some of the songs from Clockwork Angels (The Wreckers, The Anarchist).

In any case this tone really gave the show some gravitas and pathos. Easily my top 3 Rush shows of all time.

What really grabbed me more than anything though was the fact that these guys play the songs they want to knowing that the real fans are going to love it because they "get it". A truly unique band putting on an awesome show. Nuff said! 2.gif

Edited by Jmo2112

My wife and I were there in section 15, lower bowl. The sound IMHO was perfect from there. Ged sounded great and was right on target as far as I'm concerned. Overall the band was excellant. We also sat with some nice people on both sides of us. It's not to often you can hang with a lot of people and get into some deep discussions about your favorite band.

QUOTE (Capt starman @ Oct 23 2012, 07:05 PM)
My wife and I were there in section 15, lower bowl. The sound IMHO was perfect from there. Ged sounded great and was right on target as far as I'm concerned. Overall the band was excellant. We also sat with some nice people on both sides of us. It's not to often you can hang with a lot of people and get into some deep discussions about your favorite band.

I was in this section as well; the sound was terrific. If I had been on time it would have been even better.