Charlotte NC show

barlowe45

I am heading here for a couple of beers http://www.rockbottom.com/rbcharlotte/index.html before the show.

Will probably be there several hours early. I am coming in from Wake Forest, NC earlier in the day.

There is a thread here with a couple of people responded http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=73080

Maybe posting here will get a few more folks to see it.

QUOTE (InvisibleAirwaves13 @ Oct 22 2012, 09:30 PM)
I will be driving up from SC. There are several bars and eateries close to the arena but I am not sure which would be the hangout! Any Charlotte natives have the scoop?

Where at from South Carolina?

If you don't mind me asking?

QUOTE (Gemari77 @ Oct 24 2012, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (InvisibleAirwaves13 @ Oct 22 2012, 09:30 PM)
I will be driving up from SC.  There are several bars and eateries close to the arena but I am not sure which would be the hangout!  Any Charlotte natives have the scoop?

Where at from South Carolina?

If you don't mind me asking?

I am driving up from Sumter, SC with my wife. I drag her to at least 1 show per tour! I will also be headed down to the Tampa show to take that in with my best friend of 30 years!

There are a lot of good hotels, bars, and restaurants near the arena. The Epicentre complex in just across the street and it has a lot of dining and drinking options. I suggest a place called Mortimer's. It's your basic pub and restaurant with good food. It's just down an alley a the Epicentre. You can also hop on the light rail heading south and there are a variety of other places just off the stops.

I'm coming in from Cary/Apex. My sister lives near CLT, and her husband works in the downtown (or uptown) area of CLT. I'll ask her about some good places.

For those sticking around afterwards - check out the "Charlotte Music FActory". It's got several bars/clubs with live bands. My brother-in-laws' band plays there quite often. Also has studio space and an ampi-theater that gets mid-sized acts.

I won't be sticking around though. Gotta head back home - work in the morning.

The Rush playlist will be utilized heavily for the road trip!

QUOTE (Explorer67 @ Oct 24 2012, 03:47 PM)
There are a lot of good hotels, bars, and restaurants near the arena.  The Epicentre complex in just across the street and it has a lot of dining and drinking options.  I suggest a place called Mortimer's.  It's your basic pub and restaurant with good food.  It's just down an alley a the Epicentre.  You can also hop on the light rail heading south and there are a variety of other places just off the stops.

Mortimer's looks good http://www.mortimerspub.com/ sounds like a plan to me.

QUOTE (mlc @ Oct 22 2012, 09:40 PM)
I am heading here for a couple of beers http://www.rockbottom.com/rbcharlotte/index.html before the show.

Will probably be there several hours early. I am coming in from Wake Forest, NC earlier in the day.

There is a thread here with a couple of people responded http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=73080

trink39.gif maybe i'll see you there; coming in from Apex,NC. 2.gif

QUOTE (johndyar @ Oct 24 2012, 07:41 PM)
Coming from the Chattanoga area.

loved looking through those pictures. What an awesome experience! Glad Neil decided to get involved as well. I know that made for a special day!

And to be able to sit behind the drum kit, pluck the strings of Alex's guitar - WOW! Dream come true for sure!

Great stuff! Love Make-a-Wish!

QUOTE (mlc @ Oct 22 2012, 09:40 PM) I am heading here for a couple of beers -->"] before the show.

There is a thread here with a couple of people responded -->"]

maybe i'll see you there; coming in from Apex,NC.

Whereabouts in Apex? I'm on the boarder between Cary and Apex. Actually in Apex town limits, but have a Cary address.

I am in town and just called to make sure they and there equipment are here....we are good to go.

I will be at Mortimers at about 4:00 or 4:30 for something to eat and a couple of beers.

Should be at the bar with a long sleeve black S2000 shirt on.

OK, here is a short review of the Charlotte show last night. Atlanta was supposed to be my first show, but y'all talked me into going last night, and I owe y'all a huge debt of gratitude. The show was held at the new TWCArena, in uptown Charlotte, and I scored, along with a few other last minute attendees, side stage seats. Big crowd, IMHO, but y'all can debate whether they were a great crowd or not.

A little negativity before the positive: The effing ticketmaster fees are a rip off. Parking in a big city is a rip off(my fault, though, because I went on a whim, instead of studying the situation more), the sodas were $7.50, which is the biggest rip off of all time, but at least I don't drink alcohol.

No worries: Rush hits the positive side of the scales so hard that the negative stuff flies off. After the film(which, BTW, features James Franco("127 hours", etc)seeking the Watchmaker, the set list opened with my favorite song, Subdivisions, and the crowd went nuts. I was hoping they'd just sneak that one in somewhere, but I almost fainted when the opening notes started. Then, Big Money, which the video to it was cool. Then, an oldie, Force Ten, which was ironic, as Sandy has been wreaking havoc on the entire North-East of the US and Canada Maritimes. This promtped Geddy to quip how they were glad to be outta there and in the warmer south. Then, Grand Designs, a song that I've admitted only heard a few times, but, I know y'all will be glad that it made the setlist. Then, The Body Electric, one of my favorites. Territories, another song from Power Windows, was another song that I've only heard once, but I know the older fans will love to know is on the setlist. That song is deep, deep, deep, and I am glad they played it, and the video is really deep, too, Then, The Analog Kid, another good one, and then one of my all-time favorites, Bravado, a REALLY DEEP song, that I appreciate immensely. Then another song, that I don't recall hearing before, called Where's My Thing?, according to the guy sitting next to me, which is an instrumental, but Neil Peart does a drum solo during the song. I think this is the first occasion that the drums rotate. AWESOME!!!

I guess Neil needed a well deserved break to re-hydrate, so they went to Intermission.

Then, they play another segment of James Franco seeking the Watchmaker. Funny stuff, because the Rush members play characters that are a mix between the munchkins from TWOO and Larry, Curly, and Moe. Funny stuff. Then, the violinists come out and commence to start kicking ass with Rush. The crowd was more subdued during this segment, but, let me tell you, they accurately reproduced this album on stage. Amazing when you think about it. The order was: Caravan, Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, Carnies, The Wreckers, Seven Cities of Gold, Halo Effect, Headlong Flight, and, finally, The Garden, a song which is becoming VERY dear to me, and I almost cried when I heard it played live. That may be the best song ever written, by Rush, IMHO, and VERY, VERY, DEEP. You just have to pause and think about what they're trying to convey to you in that piece. Then, a surprise, The Manhattan Project, which seemed to be weird following Clockwork Angels, but a good song. Then, the drums rotated, again, and Peart played some kind of solo that sounded like it could have been in any Sci-fi movie, and then, Red Sector A, which is sort of a morbid song, but a good one, and it kicked azz live. Then, YYZ, and the place went nuts, and so did I. Then, the crowd really got into it with The Spirit of Radio and the show was over.

The band came back out with baskets of t-shirts and then commenced to play Tom Sawyer and 3 parts of 2112, which ended the show with the crowd jazzed. I love 2112, but, to be fair, Geddy does NOT sing this song like it is sung on the album, which is strange, because every other song he sings is an accurate reproduction. Perhaps, it's because he's done the song live over 6,000 times. Then, they leave, and another film plays, and everyone stays, hoping that they'll come back out, but it never happens.

I slept very, very well last night, after my dream of seeing Rush, for the first time, came true. I have missed seeing a lot of great athletes and musicians play, but I didn't die before seeing Rush, and I am very, very grateful. I have now been to the mountaintop.

This is a cross post from the Cleveland thread about the upper levels being curtained off, but its pretty much my review of Charlotte....

Charlotte was curtained off last night as well. Strange to see. Maybe it has something to do with $111 tickets (plus fees).

Maybe it's the set list. Dnt blame the arenas, it's not like they didn't want to sell those seats...are people really that naive?

I really regret not going to see them during Time Machine now. I'm sure ill get blasted, but last night was my least favorite Rush show ever( there has to be one right?). I totally understand the band wanting to support their new album, but I just don't like the way they did it last night. I see a lot of concerts, and of course, most of these are in support of new albums..but most bands tend to have a good mix of the old and new. Rush was very heavy on the new. I couldn't get into it, until the encore, and then it was over. That will probably be my last Rush show, unless they do something like time machine again.

I took my much younger wife to her first show a few years back during the SA tour. She didn't know anything about the band, but she really enjoyed it. So much so she wanted to go back when they came back to town within a year (I think). She really liked that too. I could tell last night she wasn't getting into it. But, neither was I.

Again, the band can do what they want, and I'm sure people will support them no matter what, but when they charge really high ticket prices, really expensive merchandise(saw a $50 T-shirt, oh but it did have sleeves), not mixing in enough old vs new material, in a bad economy, your gonna have dwindling attendance. I'm thinking that this may be their Swan Song and they are getting what they can, one last time...it was most likely my last time for sure.

Edited by Rush1981

This is a cross post from the Cleveland thread about the upper levels being curtained off, but its pretty much my review of Charlotte....

Charlotte was curtained off last night as well. Strange to see. Maybe it has something to do with $111 tickets (plus fees).

Maybe it's the set list. Dnt blame the arenas, it's not like they didn't want to sell those seats...are people really that naive?

I really regret not going to see them during Time Machine now. I'm sure ill get blasted, but last night was my least favorite Rush show ever( there has to be one right?). I totally understand the band wanting to support their new album, but I just don't like the way they did it last night. I see a lot of concerts, and of course, most of these are in support of new albums..but most bands tend to have a good mix of the old and new. Rush was very heavy on the new. I couldn't get into it, until the encore, and then it was over. That will probably be my last Rush show, unless they do something like time machine again.

I took my much younger wife to her first show a few years back during the SA tour. She didn't know anything about the band, but she really enjoyed it. So much so she wanted to go back when they came back to town within a year (I think). She really liked that too. I could tell last night she wasn't getting into it. But, neither was I.

Again, the band can do what they want, and I'm sure people will support them no matter what, but when they charge really high ticket prices, really expensive merchandise(saw a $50 T-shirt, oh but it did have sleeves), not mixing in enough old vs new material, in a bad economy, your gonna have dwindling attendance. I'm thinking that this may be their Swan Song and they are getting what they can, one last time...it was most likely my last time for sure.

Cry about it some more.

You MISSED your chance to see "the hits" on TMT.

Hey, I'm not crying. I'm glad you've grown up loving Rush. Just like I did. We are just a different generation, besides, they played plenty "hits" the two times I saw them on snakes and arrows tour. Not to mention the multiple shows I saw in the 80's way before you were born.

I wouldn't have missed TM if they would have played in Charlotte.

Snakes and arrows tour was far more enjoyable to me,

Edited by Rush1981

Here is the seating charts for upcoming shows. Rush's seating chart was on there yesterday and showed which sections were available, such as you can see on that link, for the other shows. Those sections simply weren't available.

Here is the seating chart for the show in Dallas, for example. You can see that all sections aren't available.

I think my point is that somebody, somewhere knows what the demand is, based on crunched numbers, I guess, and the sections aren't just "curtained off" because they didn't sell enough tickets.

Concerning high ticket prices: I hear people say, "I'd give Neil Peart $50,000 just to play in my back yard," but then complain about the ticket prices. No one complained about the price in my section. They were very happy to be 20 feet from Geddy. Yes, it is expensive, but so is parking, drinks, football games, gasoline, and even fast food. I think it is a function of inflation as opposed to Rush sticking it up someone's ass, arbitrarily.

I thought there was a great mix of older stuff, hits, and newer stuff. I had never been before, so I didn't care, either way, but a lot of people on here don't like the hits being played over and over. I think the set list is perfect. There should be something for everyone with their selections.

Edited by Aikenrooster

Here is the seating charts for upcoming shows. Rush's seating chart was on there yesterday and showed which sections were available, such as you can see on that link, for the other shows. Those sections simply weren't available.

Here is the seating chart for the show in Dallas, for example. You can see that all sections aren't available.

I think my point is that somebody, somewhere knows what the demand is, based on crunched numbers, I guess, and the sections aren't just "curtained off" because they didn't sell enough tickets.

Concerning high ticket prices: I hear people say, "I'd give Neil Peart $50,000 just to play in my back yard," but then complain about the ticket prices. No one complained about the price in my section. They were very happy to be 20 feet from Geddy. Yes, it is expensive, but so is parking, drinks, football games, gasoline, and even fast food. I think it is a function of inflation as opposed to Rush sticking it up someone's ass, arbitrarily.

I thought there was a great mix of older stuff, hits, and newer stuff. I had never been before, so I didn't care, either way, but a lot of people on here don't like the hits being played over and over. I think the set list is perfect. There should be something for everyone with their selections.

And, of course my links didn't show up. gees.

Hey, I'm not crying. I'm glad you've grown up loving Rush. Just like I did. We are just a different generation, besides, they played plenty "hits" the two times I saw them on snakes and arrows tour. Not to mention the multiple shows I saw in the 80's way before you were born.

I wouldn't have missed TM if they would have played in Charlotte.

Snakes and arrows tour was far more enjoyable to me,

Snakes and Arrows 07 setlist is practically unbeatable.

But I really DO like this years setlist.

My father tried to raise me on "the hits". FBN, COS, MP, and SG. COS was the only odd one that he has. I'm a much bigger fan than he. "Rush are hit and miss" is what he would say.

No, they're not hit and miss, at all. Slight hiccups, maybe, but not Hit and Miss.

Thankfully, he's seen his ways, and now loves them about as much as I do.