A Newark Review (spoilers)

dtpoet

QUOTE (Barry @ Oct 21 2012, 01:50 PM)
We were in section 17, all the way off to the side of the stage, it was great because we were really close to the band (on Alex's side) but I definitely missed the experience of seeing the full show from the front.

Tomorrow night I am on Geddy's side close to the stage, so I will be seeing the show from both sides, just not from the front this tour!

As for the "gremlins" it was a bass pedal, not a drumhead. we had a great view from our angle...I saw the drum tech bring in a spare and stand behind Neil with it, and then he was trying to fix it for for most of the song, after the song was over, Neil stepped out from the Drums and let the tech swap the pedal.

This was our angle to the stage...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6320832/IMG_8206.JPG

I still think there were other sound problems, from where I was sitting. Everything else was pretty spot on, geds voice sounded great. just couldnt hear his bass very well like I could in Philly

I took a few videos, but plan to film most of the CA section in Brooklyn where i have orchestra seats. Here is the first one i uploaded.

Im uploading The Anarchist now - which sounded amazing!

As you can see the people in my section were standing. They stood the whole show and they rocked pretty hard on some new songs too. Also u can see the brunette violinist is now a blonde and u can see David Cambell doing a bit of his thing as well.

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Oct 21 2012, 04:11 PM)
I took a few videos, but plan to film most of the CA section in Brooklyn where i have orchestra seats. Here is the first one i uploaded. http://youtu.be/B8zpwJ_ORxQ Im uploading The Anarchist now - which sounded amazing!

As you can see the people in my section were standing. They stood the whole show and they rocked pretty hard on some new songs too. Also u can see the brunette violinist is now a blonde and u can see David Cambell doing a bit of his thing as well.

Nice! Thanks for sharing!!! Looking forward to The Anarchist, that song ROCKED!!!

Hope you get some good footage @ Barkley's tomorrow!

See you there!!!

trink39.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (RushIslander @ Oct 21 2012, 12:11 AM)
Nice review! I'm still up, wired from the experience tonight!

It was quite a good job of a bass drum pedal change during a song. Geddy mentioned "the gremlins up here tonight", LOL! There also was no audio for the opening video.

I was in section 2. Too bad everybody was sitting back there; it is awkward freaking~out to LIVE Rush in a seat...oh well. Some asshole(s) behind me thought it was funny throwing peanuts or something at me for it, hit me twice...if you're reading this, I wish you well....and go screw yourself! LOL!!!

There is no doubt, imo, that Clockwork Angels is a late period Masterpiece from Rush, and it is AWESOME live!

See ya Monday!!!

2.gif

Be glad they only threw peanuts at you. I had a full beer tossed at me during Tom Sawyer

Beer isn't cheap there either. I don't know if I've ever been pelted with anything at a Rush show. I did take a capped half full plastic water bottle to the head at Ozzfest in (I think) '96 (Marilyn Manson, Pantera, Ozzy and Sabbath with Mike Bordin on drums instead of Bill Ward). The left side of my scalp swelled up, and it looked like I had a giant plate in my head for almost a week. And at Motley Crue a few weeks back they had some asshole on stage spraying a large area of the crowd with a giant water cannon (imagine a gigantic version of the guns used for amusment park games where you "race" against other players to win a stuffed animal).

Not having read all their bios, but I'm fairly certain the members of the string ensemble are quite respected musicians on their own right. I was wondering how the interaction was going to go between them and Ged & Al, but it was great. They certainly interact on occasion. I wouldnt be surprised if by next year, their not dragging obe of them to tbe middle of stage for some goofy stuff.

YYZ with strings was so freakin awesome - the best version ever IMO. I said it in the OP but really want to stress it here - the strings make it so my h better than prerecorded sample. It's beyond better.

SPOILER

Pags - setlist A has The Body Electric for MD, Bravado for The Pass, Manhattan Project for Dreamline, and Seven Cities for Wish Them Well

I am so happy they did WTW!!!! That was so rocking live!!!

I know I am not the first to point out another "age crack"(what is cane old, exactly?) by the original poster thinking anyone with a gray hair should be playing shuffle board instead seeing Rush. I guess when I hear people being surprised that Rush still has fans who are old enough to remember Paul McCartney wasn't always a solo act, it is a surprise rather than how wonderful it is the group appeals to so many. I remember when my wife and I saw The Eagles and there were FOUR generations of a family in the audience(a 13 year old who knew every lyric, her mother, the grandmother AND the great grandmother). I didn't look at it as surprising, I looked at it as being very, very cool and wishing my family could be that tight. Certainly, it was the exception to the rule but funny enough, they had all done the same for Coldplay!!!

So I am sure no insult was meant but, like George Romney and his 47% crack, maybe say how amazing it is Rush has such a wide range of fans who may not have discovered them at age 12 but when they were a "Working Man" instead of making it sound like Rush needs to do a secret show at the home for the Aged since the young 'uns aren't comfortable with them there wink.gif

Dude, what the hell? Did you not see the part where I said I was 44? I've got more gray than black in my beard nowadays and I'm the the hair on head will soon follow.

It was an observation, not a judgement. It surprised me - that's it. It surprised me to see kids as young as 9, 10, etc. Can you please point out where I said it was a bad thing? Yes, it surprised me to see what appeared to be a 70-something year old man walk down the aisle beside me. Never said it was bad.

Lighten up.

For the record, I believe in my heart of hearts that Rush being enjoyed by multiple generations is one of the most delightful notions I have ever had in my entire life. It's beyond wonderful.

One of the highlights of the event happened well after the performance. It was in the parking garage. See, as my 17 year old and were getting into the car, we noticed a dad with his son getting to their car adjacent to us. The boy appeared about 8 or 9. They each had on identical Rush t-shirts; the boy's so big, it reached down past his knees.

I looked at my son and he at me. Then we smiled at one another. Another bonding moment between a father and son; but this wasn't on a ball field or a school project or a wood pile or hay field. This bond was about music. Music that touches souls, young and old....

Battle of the Bands...?? Rush played the first set...Second set, RUSH, blew them away!!

I've been to 40+ Rush shows and I've never left a show disappointed...some shows were good some were great...

But this show...I loved the first set.They played all my fav's from Power Windows and busting out Analog Kid I always a welcome..so I was content.

Then the second set..

OMG! What energy! Soooooo tight! Geddy's voice filled with passion! All the guys were Spot on!

All the CA songs they played were so compelling. Totally see their recent LP in a new light.

The little orchestra..spectacular! The videos, the set on the stage...it was like being at a carnival.

To top it off, Alex with that Lead on Grand Finale... WOW!!

This is not supposed to be folks..old Guys just don't do this shit anymore...LOL

The Rock & Roll hall Fame (hall of crap-ola That's another topic..) probably thought these guys would go away...ain't happening!

I have always compare Rush shows from when I've first seen them on the Hemisphere's tour in N.Y.C. and I was Blown away! Some shows were close yet never topped that show, but Saturday nights show was epic..to say the least. (happy to say) .... they blew away that Hemisphere's show!!

These guys never seize to amaze me..I am so glad I've found them (maybe they found me)

Happy to be a Rush fan....forever!!