A Newark Review (spoilers)

dtpoet

I've been a fan since I was 13. I'm 44. I've seen tours from P/G thru RTB - none since. I was "with" many of you on opening night, watching the setlist unfold and even playing the songs as it did. I've been excited about this day for several months, especially since I would be taking my 17 yr old to his first concert.

My first pleasant surprise came when we got to our seats. Our seats were on the lower section, but since they were across the arena, I figured the guys would look like ants. Not so. Sweet.

The start. I knew we were getting set B, which was fine. Our view was great. The sound wasn't as loud as I anticipated (no hearing plugs required). There was a hiccup during Big Money as I believe Neil's bass drum pedal broke! A tech frantically tried to fix it during the song. GED said it was the drum head, but it seem clear to me that tech was trying to get the pedal in place. I was hoping for an Alex joke, but the fix was made immediately after the song. Hmm, wonder if that will make the next book!? Lol.

The rest of the first set was clean. Im a product of the "synth era" so 4 songs from PoW is just fine and dandy by me!! If there was any fault in the sound, I'd say it was not being able to hear Ged's high bass notes at all. Even the lower notes were lower in the mix then the guitars, drums, and keyboards. This was "fixed" for the 2nd set.

The CA songs were fabulous!! Proplecwent nuts for both Anarchist & Carnies. I gotta say though - live - Wish Them Well was my favorite CA song. It had energy and pop and it flowed from beginning to end. Overall, I loved the strings!!! You can feel the difference between the live strings and triggered strings. Besides, they brought a rocking energy with their presence; grooving and swaying. They were awesome!!

The arena becoming standing room only at the end with the classics. Most of the audience sat most if the time - BUT - I think that has more to do with the arena itself rather than anything with Rush. The seats are very compact. Even sitting, you were one good sneeze from elbowing the person next to you.

Some observations; (1) I was amazed at how kids were there. I don't mean teenagers, folks. I mean kid-kids; 9, 10, etc. (2) grandpas. Not your user your usual I-had-kids-early-in-life old people. I mean, where's-my-cane old! (3) woman. The notion that chicks don't dig Rush is a myth in my book, my friends. They were everywhere. (4) confused by the 2 guys a section over who totally jammed out to CA but sat for YYZ, SOR, etc. I'll be baffled by them for awhile. My son pointed them out to me. (5) smartphones. I could see so many of them on in the floor section, I thought it was an added light sequence for the show.

All in all, after not seeing them for over 20 years, I did not go away disappointed in the slightest. In fact, the experience will probably get better over time. Rush songs are great. Rush songs live are priceless. All I know is that sometimes - the moment can indeed meet the ecpectation of the dream....

Edited by dtpoet

Nice review! I'm still up, wired from the experience tonight!

It was quite a good job of a bass drum pedal change during a song. Geddy mentioned "the gremlins up here tonight", LOL! There also was no audio for the opening video.

I was in section 2. Too bad everybody was sitting back there; it is awkward freaking~out to LIVE Rush in a seat...oh well. Some asshole(s) behind me thought it was funny throwing peanuts or something at me for it, hit me twice...if you're reading this, I wish you well....and go screw yourself! LOL!!!

There is no doubt, imo, that Clockwork Angels is a late period Masterpiece from Rush, and it is AWESOME live!

See ya Monday!!!

2.gif

Edited by RushIslander

It was a weird show for me. I was in the upper deck, as I was in Philly and the sound was fantastic there. but Subdivisions sounded great, than the Big Money thing happened and we lost all low end up there. and it never really recovered it seemed. so I pretty much settled for watching Neil play for the remainder of the night. It also seemed like I was hearing mostly stage volume from from the drums, aside from the triggered effects. which was kinda cool in its own right. Maybe it was me or where i was sitting, over on Alex's side. But one thing for sure, Ill never go to a show at the Prudential ctr again. Edited by ucsteve667

QUOTE (dtpoet @ Oct 21 2012, 09:05 AM)
RushIslander - which row? Just Hopi g you weren't one the 2 guys I poked fun at! Lol.

i doubft it but hey, we had our own "C'mon!" guy yelling at us to stand up and all that. I did my time yelling goin back to the Presto tour. I am quite contenet these days to go upstaiers, sit and watch and listen. really digest the show comfortably. I prefer to sit for most of a 3hr show. doesnt mean Im any less interested or excited, just older with bad knees

A couple of thoughts to add from row 15 center:

1. Everyone in front of me pretty much stood for the entire show with few exceptions, so I stood for the entire show, too.

2. Alex had a hairpiece for the first time that I've ever noticed. If I were him, I would have made sure it was blatantly the wrong color, but his actually looked OK asie from a tuft of hair sticking out in back.

3. We got some good older songs--No Working Man, but instead, YYZ, TSOR, Tom Sawyer and 2112 all in their glory in NJ.

Snapshots from Newark...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by HalfwayToGone

its a given on the lower levels and floor you are going to stand. Which is why I generally go up top

UCsteve--yeah, I know. Just mentioning it since the OP said that most of the audience sat for most of the show. Up off the floor level, I guess that's usually true depending where you sit. I'm 45 and have suffered some major mosh-pit related injuries back in the day, so I hear you about sitting it out, but I guess I'm in a mid-life crisis, because I've been in general admission pits up against the barricade to almost all of the recent shows I've gone to except KISS and Rush. Standing in the front for Down or Meshuggah is intense, but somehow I'm much better at it than when I was younger.

My second (and last show of the tour). They were simply fantastic. Sounded great, lots of energy and the packed house was completely into it. The NY/NJ area always brings it! No one sat on my section the entire show. The new stuff went over extremely well from my vantage point.

I've said this before, but IMO there's nothing like seeing this band indoors. I went to the Bristow show earlier in the tour and the sound sucked. The crowd was dead too (typical of DC btw). VERY glad I decided to go again...

All in all easily best show I've seen since R30, and one of the best since I first saw them in 82 (like some others on this thread!)

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (HalfwayToGone @ Oct 21 2012, 09:58 AM)
UCsteve--yeah, I know. Just mentioning it since the OP said that most of the audience sat for most of the show. Up off the floor level, I guess that's usually true depending where you sit. I'm 45 and have suffered some major mosh-pit related injuries back in the day, so I hear you about sitting it out, but I guess I'm in a mid-life crisis, because I've been in general admission pits up against the barricade to almost all of the recent shows I've gone to except KISS and Rush. Standing in the front for Down or Meshuggah is intense, but somehow I'm much better at it than when I was younger.

Hey you have my paper as yer avatar heh. Meshuggah live is amazing...

I was impressed by how full the arena was. Honestly, I was a little surprised by the size of the crowd. Where I was sitting nearly every one was into the entire show, except one guy who sat down from time to time to read his iPad.

I'm glad Rush picks the set lists they do, no matter how disappointed I may be reading it on paper. Last night, they were into it. Energized and committed. Neil sounded FANTASTIC. The string section was wonderful. Alex was as committed as ever. And Geddy's singing was near perfect.

Another great show from one of the best bands ever.

Edited by ReRushed

I have to agree with those who have said that the sound wasn't too great. I also saw the Philly show, and the sound there was much better. It was still good- don't get me wrong- hell, it is Rush, after all. I sat closer this time, Geddy's side, about halfway up, so it was cool to see the guys a bit clearer. I really like the strings- they add so much. And the violin girl (third from the right) is smokin' hot. Blonde hair last night.

I'm glad I decided to go at the last minute. A two hour drive, but definitely worth it.

I love the line from the set two into film, after the tax man calls the guys dwarves- "We happen to be G-nomes."

I've only seen them since the Time Machine Tour (both legs) and last night's show was easily the best one out of the three I've seen. Really, and I mean REALLY happy that I got to see songs like Grand Designs, Middletown Dreams, Territories, The Pass and Where's My Thing live...to be honest, I preferred Setlist B to Setlist A by a slim margin. The Clockwork Angels portion was amazing! The videos/lighting on this show was also great, particularly during Grand Designs, Territories, and especially during the Clockwork Angels portion. Loved the pyro fest at the end of Carnies. The band was on fire (minus the hiccup during The Big Money). Geddy's voice was incredible last night, it beats his vocals on the last tour by a landslide.

I really hope there's going to be a DVD (or at least a live album) of this tour...it'd be a damn shame if there wasn't.

RushIslander - which row? Just Hopi g you weren't one the 2 guys I poked fun at! Lol.

I was in row 6, seat 7...I had a red baseball hat on and was in full Rush spaz~mode. Nothing over the top though as I remained seated.

I don't care about being mocked, but getting pelted with whatever that was, was a little ridiculous. After the second time, I just turned around and gave a general "hell YEAH!!!" response to most behind me. That seemed to end the attack...or their aim fell short by then, LOL! I could tell it wasn't from far behind me where the ballistic assault was launched.

It is what it is, and whatever...I had a blast. GREAT SHOW!!!

On a side note...I drove in from Long Island, and decided to go through Manhattan. Took the Williamsburg Bridge through Delancy St. to the Holland Tunnel...took about an HOUR and a half to get across Gotham City! Total grid~lock! Got to The Rock for enough time to grab one beer and a bight to eat then find my seat...then the house lights went dark before our "silent movie" into Subdivisions, LOL!

Shoulda took the Cross Bronx...

Edited by RushIslander

QUOTE (RushIslander @ Oct 21 2012, 10:34 AM)

I was in row 6, seat 7...I had a red baseball hat on and was in full Rush spaz~mode. Nothing over the top though as I remained seated.

I don't care about being mocked, but getting pelted with whatever that was, was a little ridiculous. After the second time, I just turned around and gave a general "hell YEAH!!!" response to most behind me. That seemed to end the attack...or their aim fell short by then, LOL! I could tell it wasn't from far behind me where the ballistic assault was launched.

It is what it is, and whatever...I had a blast. GREAT SHOW!!!

On a side note...I drove in from Long Island, and decided to go through Manhattan. Took the Williamsburg Bridge through Delancy St. to the Holland Tunnel...took about an HOUR and a half to get across Gotham City! Total grid~lock! Got to The Rock for enough time to grab one beer and a bight to eat then find my seat...then the house lights went dark before our "silent movie" into Subdivisions, LOL!

Shoulda took the Cross Bronx...

At least your assailants were right behind you laugh.gif My father and I kept getting pelted with ice cubes and beer cups in Bridgeport from the mezzanine thing above us. Shot a couple of middle-finger/f**k-yous up there but why would that end the barrage of projectiles we were receiving?

We, too, were sitting down most of the show. We enjoy kicking back and taking in the show like gentlemen. http://ma1.twimg.com/profile_images/2626935547/ru0s04127otvbz6n761s_normal.jpeg

I don't know if that was the reason for the attack or if they were just morons. (They were morons regardless)...

Still waking up here from last night - need to absorb show in brain for a bit before I say anything.

coffee.gif coffee.gif coffee.gif

We just home from the Newark show, pleasant 3 hour drive this morning...frikin awesome show...but hey it's RUSH and we love this band!

We did VIP but I was nervous arriving as it was a couple hours into the presale so i was bracing for row 15 but we did get row 7 right in front of Geddy. The seats were amazing and well worth it the $$

I'm over 50 now but can still stand & rock out for the whole show...hey since Rush gives their all for us we as fans should give ours!

I will agree that the sound wasnt as loud as I have come to expect, clear and crisp where we sat but lacking the ear-ringing goodness as so many previous shows lol. Coming in I was disapointed we were not getting SCOG as opposed to Wish Them Well...but I gotta say live that song was awesome.

Was it my own personal dream set, no not really but my God they play their hearts out for us and it was just another wonderful night. We will catch another round at during the 2nd leg.

Geddy was in great voice last night, sounded better than he did to me on both nights of the Time Machine tour that we caught. At the end of Headlong Flight his voice was just amazing, I was grinning no doubt like an idiot singing along, arms pumping...swore Geddy looked right me & flashed me a smile...asked my girl she yes I think he did!

I was there and in my section (7) everybody stood the whole show! It was awesome! A few people sat during the garden but then everybody got up for Dreamline. I was really surprised with the energy from the crowd. Got really loud at times and saw quite a few people dancing, headbanging and jumping all over the place. The first few rows looked absolutely on fire the whole show and the whole place was delirious with the last 4 songs and for the first time ever i saw women going by themselves to a show! I Saw some 30 sum year old babes on the Path train with Rush VIP passes on the way back to NYC. Lot of people talking how great it was on the train except for a couple of 2 old guys who were saying the show was crap cuz they only recognized the last few songs and just like it happens here ppl got defensive and shut them up quickly lol One guy told em you've should seen the previous tour where they played MP in it's entirety and those 2 were like "oh yeah? f**k!" lol

Overall, it was a fantastic show, they all played incredible, great energy, Geddy smiled a lot, and his vocals sounded POWERFUL. He hasnt sound this good since Vapor Trails tour. Also David Cambell was there and he was conducting the strings very passionately and looked really cool with a CA hoodie on. I also noticed that the attractive brunette violinist is now a blonde! Also, loved the stage, the mad scientists and other characters that showed up, the tvs going up and down, it was just fantastic.

Edited by Astroboy2112

We were in section 17, all the way off to the side of the stage, it was great because we were really close to the band (on Alex's side) but I definitely missed the experience of seeing the full show from the front.

Tomorrow night I am on Geddy's side close to the stage, so I will be seeing the show from both sides, just not from the front this tour!

As for the "gremlins" it was a bass pedal, not a drumhead. we had a great view from our angle...I saw the drum tech bring in a spare and stand behind Neil with it, and then he was trying to fix it for for most of the song, after the song was over, Neil stepped out from the Drums and let the tech swap the pedal.

This was our angle to the stage...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6320832/IMG_8206.JPG