The Garden question....

32Ford

QUOTE (Snaked @ Oct 18 2012, 09:04 PM)
The first thing I thought of when I first heard the song was the hand on a clock. It kinda looks like an arrow...

"The hours tick away, the cells tick away"

On that note, what do the cells represent? I'm thinking it might be something like cells dying off, but is there something deeper than that?

As for 32ford's question, I'd have to agree with MusicalAbby2112 with the arrow representing the clock hand always moving forward.

QUOTE (32Ford @ Oct 18 2012, 07:32 PM)
"The arrow flies while you dream..."

As you wonder about what could be, precious, irretrievable moments of your life as it is. The message: live in the now.

Or...

Awake or asleep, time keeps on tickin'. The message: we, as individuals, are insignificant in the grand scheme

The arrow is the arrow of time. It is shot from a bow (birth), it flies forward until something gets in its way or it loses momentum and falls to the ground and stops moving (death). I don't think it is anymore complicated than that.

The cells in your body are constantly degrading and being replaced. Eventually this process slows down and ends.

Not everyone wants to think about the end of their life, but when you reach sixty years of age as Neil Peart recently did then you know that baring some heretofore unknown medical miracle you are closer to the end than the beginning. It is only natural for him to turn his analytical mind towards such subjects.

• Like 1

To add to Dr Birdsong about the arrow of time. The term is also used in scientific circles to talk about deep time. The deep time of the universe.

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Oct 20 2012, 04:56 PM)
To add to Dr Birdsong about the arrow of time. The term is also used in scientific circles to talk about deep time. The deep time of the universe.

goodpost.gif This is exactly it. Most of the song has a lot of puns about time.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 21 2012, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Oct 20 2012, 04:56 PM)

goodpost.gif This is exactly it. Most of the song has a lot of puns about time.

And just because I can't resist...

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Thank you Groucho.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 19 2012, 10:41 PM)
The arrow is the arrow of time. It is shot from a bow (birth), it flies forward until something gets in its way or it loses momentum and falls to the ground and stops moving (death). I don't think it is anymore complicated than that.

The cells in your body are constantly degrading and being replaced. Eventually this process slows down and ends.

Not everyone wants to think about the end of their life, but when you reach sixty years of age as Neil Peart recently did then you know that baring some heretofore unknown medical miracle you are closer to the end than the beginning. It is only natural for him to turn his analytical mind towards such subjects.

^^ This ^^

Have you never heard the saying "Time flies like an arrow"?

Tempus fugit: time flies

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flys like a banana

-Groucho Marx

And the rest is history..

Maybe I'm overthinking...

That's all I got

Tempus fugit: time flies

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flys like a banana

-Groucho Marx

And the rest is history..

Maybe I'm overthinking...

That's all I got

Oops beat me to it lol

Double post too damn. We touch screen. Its snowing out :P

If the lyrics to the song are pretty straightforward, what the heck does this mean?

In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?

It is what it is — and whatever

This is the most nonsensical piece of something somewhere.

If the lyrics to the song are pretty straightforward, what the heck does this mean?

In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?

It is what it is — and whatever

This is the most nonsensical piece of something somewhere.

As for the first line...the many possible worlds you live in depends on your religious faith (or lack there of), Hindu, muslim, catholic, creation...the list goes on, each of those belief mechanisms ties back to some belief that there is a higher power that will reward us if we are good and doom us if we are bad. If our life on earth is really based on that, our lives are indeed one bizarre test. As an aside, I love the way that line ties back with BU2B, with the "All is for the best..." and the theme of "The universe has a plan"...if there really is a plan, some non believers certainly would find that very bizarre.

As for the second line, you are generally stuck on your religious belief system based on the environment/country/region that they were brought up in and are unlikely to be swayed significantly from this belief. Thus the now popular refrain..."it is what it is" meaning "you are going to believe what you believe" . Don't even bother to try to change my views on this...meaning "Whatever", I am going to believe in what I want to believe in and it's barely worth discussing.

After this brief foray into all this subject, the song turns to what really is important. The here and now in this life, giving and receiving love and respect..