If you've seen the show/heard recordings/read the

gudbuytjane

Has this changed your relationship with Power Windows at all? I am listening to it right now, and this is probably the most interested in it I've ever been. I've even warmed up to Hold Your Fire, but so far PoW has eluded a place in my heart.

I'm on "Manhattan Project", and enjoying it a lot. I think this setlist might have finally made me a PoW lover.

-Jane

2.gif

QUOTE (tas7 @ Oct 18 2012, 03:02 PM)
Power Windows was a relief after the disappointment of Grace Under Pressure.

P/g was one of the best..

Not only Power Windows but Clockwork Angels! I used to listen to the album only as a whole because individually it didnt appeal to me as much as other stuff but now I love every second of it! But yes, I love Power Windows even more now!

If Big Money was removed from PoW, then it would easily be my favorite RUSH album. I remember first hearing it(the entire cd) and thinking it was incredible. Still is in my thinking...apart from the song mentioned above.

2.gif

I think seeing the live shows adds to the value of each song that was played. It seems like I'm enjoying those songs more then I would have had I not heard them live. CA still for me after 45-50 plays in its entirety, I'm still hearing small nuances that give me chills. It's incredible how much detail has gone in to it. I've also been warming up to Presto (b/c of The Pass), PoW (b/c of Territories, The Big Money, and Grand Designs. Middletown Dreams was ok, but not as good as the others), HYF (Force Ten!, That was so awesome live!), and Roll The Bones (b/c of Where's My Thing and Dreamline which were spectacular!) As Neil says in the tour book, most of their songs are "Made 2 B Played," and he's right. The live shows give so much more definition to the songs and make them even more incredible then they already are! Edited by pfrushfan0122

Never liked the album at all.....Middletown Dreams was interesting because I lived in Middletown, PA at the time (and before that album wrote a letter to Neil...weird coincidence? Who knows....)

But PW was never a favorite of mine...HyF is probably the second least played in my collection (RtB is the least played)

I look at the tunes they are playing this tour, and give them the pass on it...you have to love that they don't continue to play the same X-amount of songs year after year after year, and they give each album it's "due"...

Bottom line...it's 2.gif they are still playing live...they aren't playing the same 20 tunes, and they can still do it!

But...I'm still not pulling PW out of the sleeve and giving it a go on the turntable...... cat.gif

QUOTE (Don'tMeetInBars @ Oct 18 2012, 09:51 PM)

It's cool to hear those songs with how Rush sounds NOW.

No doubt, I almost wish they'd go back and record all their old albums with their late career sound. That's partially why their idea to get as much as possible as a live recording is so great.

I used to loathe Power Windows when I was a kid, but over the years it has become one of my faves - easily one of Rush's top tier works and, for me, it's the peak of their synth era.

Had you told me before this tour that Rush would be favoring it strongly in their set I would have laughed, so good on them.

I think the themes of PoW are strikingly relevant today, and I think the juxtaposition between the synth heavy sound of the first set versus the hard rocking, "organic" sound of the second set work very well together.

#5 on my all time favorite Rush albums list.

Power Windows was a bombastic production. Neil's drums explode out of the speakers. Rush used strings and sequenced keys for the first time.....lot's of bold moves and a totally new approach to how they record albums with Neil playing to a click track etc.

Peter Collins re-invented Rush on Power Windows.

Some fans did not change with them....but fan's like myself embraced this new direction that started with Signals and culminated with Hold Your Fire.

A key period for Rush and IMO what made them so unique and great.

They took all the new wave sound influences around (Tears For Fears for example) them at the time and crafted a brilliant Rush album.

The genius of Rush has always been being able to internalize the sounds around them at that time and incorporate it into their signature style.

The 1982-87 catalog is a shinig example of why Rush 25 plus years later is still relevant.

This setlist is amazing.....and 11/3 can't get here soon enough.

Edited by Todem

Maybe I'm not as hard-core as I once thought, not as much as many people on here for certain!! Holy shit... But, when Rush would put out a new album, I would just go and buy it. Then I'd listen to it. I never thought of disecting it or analyzing it or labeling it as anything.

When I first listened to Power Windows, to me, it was just another good Rush album. I didn't didn't think about how much synth, how compressed, "are the drums up front enough," or whatever. It was Rush.

For the record, I always thought PWs was a great album and a heavy one too. Listen to the guitar in Territories.

great post. I always liked Power Windows, I first bought it when I was 13 (28 now). but I would totally agree that hearing these songs definately made me appareciate it a whole lot more.

I barely recognized Territories until the chorus, and since the show 5 days ago I've been listening to it almost daily.

I really enjoyed Grand Designs. I remember how Rolling Stoned referred to Alex's solo as "white noise" in a review, and me playing PW and GD in the parting lot at work with an old friend. Power Windows. The good old days. 2.gif

QUOTE (dtpoet @ Oct 18 2012, 01:48 PM)
Emotion Detector is one of my favorite ballads. P/G was my first concert. PoW was my first album where the passion really took off.

Not sure I'd call it a ballad, but the traditional RUSH jam done 80's synth style makes it one of my favorites. You just prompted me to turn the sound down on the game and listen to it now. Thanks!

Power Windows... let me think. I was 20 years old and in the Navy living in Pensacola, Florida. That means I bought it on cassette. It was so big and loud and I immediately liked it better than Grace Under Pressure. It is very much of its time. It sounded very 1985. When my daughter sees pictures of that time or old TV shows or hears the music she asks how we could stand to be so corny and ill dressed. I just laugh and say you had to be there honey. I can't wait until she has children of her own so I can A- turn them onto Rush and B- show them all the old corny pictures I have of her. She used to love to watch Power Rangers so my Power Windows will trump her in the end.

Being in the military meant I couldn't get to very many show by anyone so finally hearing so many 80s songs on this tour was like a free ticket back in time and I appreciate Rush so much for taking me back there.

Edited by drbirdsong