Couple of RushCon articles

Prattster

First one's about the convention and the culture:

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/10/16/th...e-cult-of-rush/

Also, there's a companion article where they asked Lotus Land (the Rush tribute that played RushCon) to review the show:

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/10/15/co...and-lotus-land/

(I thought their comment on the crowd was... overly diplomatic. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't come up from the States and tell a local paper that a Toronto crowd was lame either).

QUOTE (Prattster @ Oct 16 2012, 12:27 PM)

Also, there's a companion article where they asked Lotus Land (the Rush tribute that played RushCon) to review the show:

(I thought their comment on the crowd was... overly diplomatic. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't come up from the States and tell a local paper that a Toronto crowd was lame either).

T.O. crowd was not lame, far from it 2.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Oct 16 2012, 03:51 PM)

Well, sometimes it all depends on where you're sitting doesn't it?

Hey if it (the crowd excitement level) was enjoyable for you, then awesome. My intention was not to be crapping on it as much as expressing my disappointment in what I saw. My last two Rush shows in Toronto the crowd was off the hook, and I came back with that expectation. Unfortunately, that wasn't what I felt this time around.

Nothing to do with the boys performance which was as good as the other two shows I saw. On the plus side, we had a real good angle on ALL the strings this time, and it was fun to watch.

Plus I'd have rather been at that Rush show having a (for me) sub-par (where "par" is a very high standard) then being anywhere else doing anything else.

I'll take every chance I have to see Rush in their hometown until it stops happening. And I'll NEVER take it for granted.

QUOTE (thirteen @ Oct 16 2012, 05:30 PM)
Two Aussie Rush fans!!!!!

Finally I don't feel so damn alone.

There's another guy too... forget his handle, but he joined here when the forum first started.

I know his real name though.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/iluvgeddy/meonrushdotcom-1-1-1.jpg

QUOTE (canadianice @ Oct 16 2012, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Prattster @ Oct 16 2012, 12:27 PM)

(I thought their comment on the crowd was... overly diplomatic.  On the other hand, I probably wouldn't come up from the States and tell a local paper that a Toronto crowd was lame either).

Lame in the section I was in. Other than me, just about everyone in my section sat for just about the entire show until near the end.

This was my first Rush Con and has been on my bucketlist for ages. I loved it.

I met tons of people and there were people from Germany, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, and all over the US there.

It was always easy spotting the Rush fans around the motel since everyone wore Rush garb for the most part and breaking the ice was easy, "Where you from?" "How many shows?" etc..

The events were cool and fun. A girl, "Carrie" (sp?) won the Name the tune contest with some impressive recall and won a band autographed lithograph which was awesome.

A young couple won a local radio contest and the local DJ did a live event from RushCon and gave away a signed guitar, tickets a meet and greet and host of other goodies to them. They were both extremely gracious and I spend some time talking with them. They even said they felt a little guilty since so many fans were such long time fans and more deserving. I assured them that the best part of it would be the lasting memory from it, and that them being young would be able to hold onto that much longer than us oldies. Besides, it's always great to see young fans love them so much.

Lotus Land was simply f***ing outstanding. They didn't play anything that Rush was on tour, and opened with the R30 oldies tribute and from then on we knew it was going to be awesome. Cinderella Man, Camera Eye, and many other greats. Seriously, if you ever get the chance go see them. Fantastic!

The Kevin Anderson talk was fun and informative. Pics with Chromey. Hard Rock and Geddy and Alex guitars hanging. Toronto was a great city, safe, clean, diverse and tons to see and do.

I got a shitload of pics and videos at Anthem records. There is something about seeing the Gold album of All The World's a Stage and 2112 that puts you in a moment of awe.

Other stuff was all great as well.....

Hanging with a hundred new friends all with the same passion for Rush. I mean, can it really get any better? I think not!

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 17 2012, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Oct 17 2012, 12:28 PM)

The events were cool and fun.  A girl, "Carrie" (sp?) won the Name the tune contest with some impressive recall and won a band autographed lithograph which was awesome.

She is a regular member here.

Yeah, I didn't ask to many people if they were members here for fear of hearing, "Oh you're that ASSHOLE!". laugh.gif

QUOTE (thirteen @ Oct 16 2012, 05:24 PM) Awesome to see that the operations manager of Rushcon is an Aussie.

She is a member here on TRF.

:hi:

At the risk of necro-posting, I only just spotted this today. Haven't been on TRF much in the last few years.

Greetings, thirteen! Yep, Australian-born, albeit with a half-Canadian/English/wierd-ass mutant accent these days. :D Just waiting on Canadian residency to come through. Indeed, as I type, I'm currently in Australia taking care of a few things.

Hope all's well in your part of Oz. I see you're heading to Vegas for R40. If time/coin/opportunity allows, you should join us for RushCon 15 in Los Angeles. It'd be cool to meet you. :cheers:

QUOTE (thirteen @ Oct 16 2012, 05:24 PM) Awesome to see that the operations manager of Rushcon is an Aussie.

At the risk of necro-posting, I only just spotted this today. Haven't been on TRF much in the last few years.

Greetings, thirteen! Yep, Australian-born, albeit with a half-Canadian/English/wierd-ass mutant accent these days. :D Just waiting on Canadian residency to come through. Indeed, as I type, I'm currently in Australia taking care of a few things.

Hope all's well in your part of Oz. I see you're heading to Vegas for R40. If time/coin/opportunity allows, you should join us for RushCon 15 in Los Angeles. It'd be cool to meet you. :cheers:

Hey Pixie! I think I met you in Vancouver a few years back. Should stop by here more often :)

Hey Pixie! I think I met you in Vancouver a few years back. Should stop by here more often :)

That's certainly possible! Was it perchance at a pre-show meetup before the S&A Concert at GM Place, May '08? A RushTour.com banner might have been involved?

That's certainly possible! Was it perchance at a pre-show meetup before the S&A Concert at GM Place, May '08? A RushTour.com banner might have been involved?

Ya that was the show! That was a good Rush week for me. I carried that banner and saw three shows that week all from the first few rows :) :)