To front row or not to Front Row

cgfcgf

Let's see...this was about the 30th time I saw Rush. I've had 4th row a couple of times and super close side seats several times. I've brought most of my kids. I've spent a lot of money over the years. So when the Bridgeport show was announced I said to myself...let me think about sitting real close. I have never sat front row at any concert (sat 2nd row for VH earlier this year). Outside of Rush I've seen many other bands (Kiss 15 times, Judas Priest 8 times, Maiden 5 times, etc.)

We went to opening night in NH (my wife, my oldest (14 and big into Rush), and 2nd oldest (13, definitely into Rush just not as much as the first). For NH we sat Stage Right side seats real close.

So we started keying in on CT tickets from Sunday to yesterday. Ticketmaster locked us out twice (even though we were logged on so they should know I am not a machine looking for tickets). Then finally after being locked out at work and watching Stubhub all day I made the plunge for two front row in front of the keyboards. I went with my oldest.

Don't get me wrong...every show I go to with my kids (no matter who it is) makes me emotional. Me with my kids at a concert starring the music of my life...very powerful.

So front row. Let's see...my Holy Grail (but I payed for it and didn't luck into it). With the barricade making the front row a good 10-15 feet away from the players it makes it a little sterile. We had a great time. We rocked. We banged heads. We air guitared, air drummed and air bassed all night. But was it worth it...of course... it's front row but not being able to rest a drink on the stage or use the stage as my personal drum set makes me say...great I did it and now I'm done.

Don't get me wrong we are very fortunate to have the money to try this but you know what...I think we would have had just a good of a time being close on the side again. Maybe if you're more towards the center it would be better but being 10 or so feet away from the very front of the stage...it's like being at a stadium show where the barricades are a barrier. It didn't feel as intimate as it should have?

Again we had a great time and looking back the glass is half full but maybe my expectations (even though I suspected I would feel this way) exceeded the actual. Maybe because we saw virtually the same show in NH...but you know what...I'll probably go to Boston too (if work and family pans out properly).

I loved my front row experience in 2007. Nothing like it. It's ruined me a bit, and last tour I ended up abandoning my so-so seats and heading back to the lawn, which was way more fun.

For me, it's now get right up close or hang in back, watch the screens, and relax.

I wish I had an informed opinion on this matter.

Closest I've ever been is row 7.

I had front row on the Power Windows tour. I definitely wasn't 10 feet from the stage. I would say more like 3 or 4 feet. I was interacting a bit with Alex at various times and Geddy winked at my Expos hat. An experience I will never forget but man did I earn those tix waiting outside in the middle of winter all night. It was well worth it though.

Had front row about 7 feet away from Geddy on the T4E tour.

Amazing time. I will never forget it.

Edited by Todem

I lucked out back in 2008 on the Snakes & Arrows tour when someone was selling a front row ticket at Hershey Stadium...for face value.

I was just right of Alex's mic stand (facing the stage) and it was quite the experience. I was probably 6 or 7 feet from the stage but the stage there was quite high so it made it seem a bit further.

All in all...it was worth it, especially for face value. It sounds goofy to say, but the eye contact I made with both Alex and Geddy really made the show that much more special and I also got a nod from Geddy when I believe he saw my Spinal Tap tshirt I was wearing. This was the tour he had the mini Stonehenge stone on his keyboard which must have been a Spinal Tap reference.

Would I do it again? Sure would...

biggrin.gif

Maybe I'm torn between the price paid and the experience. I'm frugal by nature (my kids would say cheap - but they aren't going to be the ones footing 4 cell phone bills, cars insurance, college, etc.) but I just like to get my money's worth. Anybody can spend money. My sport is stretching my dollars as far as they can go.

I think if it was more luck than an analytical purchase (with some spontaneity thrown in) I would have 100% enjoyed it vs me feeling around 80% satisfied.

Anyways just wanted to share. I shouldn't be over analyzing the experience.

There's bigger problems in the world and in the state of today's music scene.

Again we are fortunate to have spent like that in today's environment.

Hope everyone has a great time at their show of choice.

I have sat 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th row center for Rush shows. Never front row. I can't imagine there is much difference in the feel.

I went to see the awesome Neal Morse last night in NYC and sat at a table right in front of the stage. The band was literally about 6 ft in front of me and very low. Really can't get any better. It was a show with a very intimate setting. They filmed a DVD of the tour last night. I ate dinner at my table. I had meet and greets. It was amazing!

As much fun as it is seeing Rush in an arena, nothing comes close to seeing a band you love in a tiny venue. Last night was beyond words for me.

If you are frugal then you should have waited to get tickets outside from scalpers. This tour isn't selling and the scalpers are being left holding their tickets. I got 7th row dead center in Bridgeport for 10 bucks each.

QUOTE (JAG @ Oct 12 2012, 12:55 PM)
If you are frugal then you should have waited to get tickets outside from scalpers. This tour isn't selling and the scalpers are being left holding their tickets. I got 7th row dead center in Bridgeport for 10 bucks each.

The show was sold out. Just sayin.

I had front row last June right in front of Al. A truly amazing experience but now seems almost dreamlike it went by so damned fast.

I've been lucky enough to be front row 4 times in my life at reserved seat shows:

Jethro Tull, SDSU Open Aire Amphitheater 1993 (also got to go backstage before the show and meet the band....Ian is very, very short but a pleasant guy Also got to watch the soundcheck....that was way cool....they didn't do any of their own songs but instead did a couple of blues numbers I'm guessing from the 50s).

Metallica, Shoreline Amphitheater (Bay Area), 1994 (2nd leg of the Black Album tour)

The Allman Bros. Band at Hospitality Point in San Diego when the lineup was Dicky, Gregg, Warren, Butch, Jaimoe and the late Allen Woody in 1997.

Rush last June as mentioned.

They were all incredible experiences but I think the Metallica show was the best as the ex and I had no idea we would be in the front row when we arrived at will call to pick up the tix. Apparently, they added a row of 12 seats right in front after the stage configuration was decided upon and then the computer randomly chose 6 pairs of tix waiting at will call to upgrade. I'm basing this on the fact that no one in the front row knew they were going to be there until picking up their tix at will call. Also, I got a fist pump from Hetfield when he saw me doing air guitar to the blues run Hammet does on the opening to "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" with my eyes closed as well as hand slaps from he and Newstead.

I've also stood front row a couple of times at Robin Trower shows in the last 15 years but they were shows with a first come, first stand on the floor and in the seats up off the floor, not reserved seats. Still really amazing as well.

I might add I could've been front row at Zeppelin in the Kingdome in Seattle July, 1977 as 2 friends and I waited in line all night to be one of the first people in (all GA seating/standing in those days) but the stage was so high we chose to stand about 12-15 "rows" back to get a better view of the whole band, especially Bonzo. It was a good choice.

Edited by driventotheedge

In 1982 I was smashed against the barrier all night by thousands of people. A couple of times I could have reached out and grabbed Alex' foot, but it might have ruined the song he was playing. Ahh, the days of general admission.

Very cool hearing other people's stories.

Yes being frugal I would have taken 7th row at that price in a heartbeat but I can't count on scalpers and over the past 4 years I've sort of figured out the Ticketmaster - secondary scalper market so I like to have some sort of ticket in my hand before I drive and park (even though for VH in Philadelphia in 2007 I went, parked and bought on site).

To me though concerts aren't the same as when we were growing up. Everybody stays in their rows for the most part. There's no rushing the stage. Security on power trips. It's just not the same. Yet I keep going because in 5-10 years who will be around that I want to spend money on?

Outside of being glad to go to these shows with my kids I'm also glad these bands are still touring and playing with a very strong resemblance of the "glory days".

I was front row and lucky to WIN tickets. I loved every minute of it, but yes, it went by fast. I would say second row is pretty much the same, just on person in front of you...

It did ruin me for future shows because if am more than 10 rows back, I get really cranky. fists crying.gif