Rush fails to give us a reach around again...

twwells

Just my take on the set, I think they decided to bust out some rare synthy songs to offset how ballsy the new record is. I was at the show in Pittsburgh, and I was the only one standing throughout most of the show. I wonder why those that prefer the heavy guitar driven material didn't give two shites about any songs other than Analog Kid, YYZ, Working Man, Tom Sawyer, and 2112.

I personally would have preferred a more "retro" song listing, but like others said before that the material from the 80's is all 30+ years old or close to it. Any song I can hear from Rush live is a good thing, except for maybe Nobody's Hero and Rivendell! beathorse.gif

Apologies, I meant I was the only one standing in my section. Anyways I'm glad I looked at the set before the show otherwise I might have been confused or underwhelmed at the plethora of synthy tunes.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to the other set on Cleveland!

QUOTE (twwells @ Oct 11 2012, 06:37 PM)
Just my take on the set, I think they decided to bust out some rare synthy songs to offset how ballsy the new record is.  I was at the show in Pittsburgh, and I was the only one standing throughout most of the show.  I wonder why those that prefer the heavy guitar driven material didn't give two shites about any songs other than Analog Kid, YYZ, Working Man, Tom Sawyer, and 2112.

I personally would have preferred a more "retro" song listing, but like others said before that the material from the 80's is all 30+ years old or close to it.  Any song I can hear from Rush live is a good thing, except for maybe Nobody's Hero and Rivendell! beathorse.gif

***SPOILERS***

I loved the 80s stuff! I loved the more obscure songs, like 'Grand Designs', 'Territories', and especially 'Where's My Thing?'. I actually squealed a little when 'WMT' came on. And I stood standing through the entire show, and sang along with everything. I was actually more excited for these songs than for 'The Spirit of Radio' or 'Tom Sawyer'.

Afterwards, I listened to a couple of guys mildly complain that they didn't play 'Free Will', 'Limelight', or 'Working Man' (again). I'm glad we got a break from them! And someone wanted 'Red Barchetta' again. I'd rather give more obscure songs a chance to shine, play something live that hasn't been done many times before....

Not, of course, that the more common songs aren't good! They are awesome songs, and I totally recognize them as such, but it's nice to give other songs a chance, ya know?

Edited to add: spoiler tag at top.

Edited by Mika

QUOTE (crazygeo @ Oct 11 2012, 07:55 PM)
just check set list fm...the sets will change a bit from night to night..we know what we will get in Philly..
ready to hear Territories...

Really looking forward to the setlist tonight.

Territories and Grand Designs... hell yeah!!! 2.gif

Plus I love they are playing a ton from Clockwork!!! applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Oct 12 2012, 09:51 PM)
Any time RUSH plays live is a reach-around for me.

I always wear two pair of undies to the show.

They might not have given us a reach around but they surely gave us a nice BJ!

ohmy.gif

However, songs I could have used on this tour considering they are touring with a string section:

Losing It, Limelight, and La Villa Strangiatto

yes.gif

Edited by losingit2k

I went to Philly last night. I moved to the nosebleeds where I could sit for 3 hrs and enjoy the show. I hate standing more than 5 min so I was in heaven. I got in a lil late, during Subdivisions, so at the break I asked the guy in front of us if I missed anything. I couldnt help but to laugh at him when he said just a waste of a 1st set...they played nothing he wanted to hear pretty much. Sucks fer him Edited by ucsteve667

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Oct 13 2012, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Oct 12 2012, 09:51 PM)
Any time RUSH plays live is a reach-around for me.

I always wear two pair of undies to the show.

They might not have given us a reach around but they surely gave us a nice BJ!

ohmy.gif

However, songs I could have used on this tour considering they are touring with a string section:

Losing It, Limelight, and La Villa Strangiatto

yes.gif

Well, they decided on Friday to play Limelight in Toronto.

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Oct 15 2012, 01:28 AM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Oct 14 2012, 07:48 AM)

Or not

They didn't play Limelight tonight, they could be waiting until their Tuesday show to bust it out.

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Oct 15 2012, 12:32 AM)

Or not

They didn't play Limelight tonight, they could be waiting until their Tuesday show to bust it out.

I believe Sunday was the A set list so, my assumption is that they're adding it to the B set list. They started playing it during sound check in Philly and right afterward is when crew was told they'd be playing it in Toronto.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Oct 15 2012, 02:36 PM)

Or not

I believe Sunday was the A set list so, my assumption is that they're adding it to the B set list. They started playing it during sound check in Philly and right afterward is when crew was told they'd be playing it in Toronto.

How do you know this?

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Oct 15 2012, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Oct 15 2012, 02:36 PM)

Or not

How do you know this?

Seriously??

Ummm... I was there.