NIGHTMARE IN BRIDGEPORT!!!

Tick

NIGHTMARE IN BRIDGEPORT!!!

Trying to get into last nights Rush show was one of the worst experiences I have ever encountered. I live 10 minutes from the venue so I hoped in my car at 6:25 to head over. Show start time was 7:30.

We made it to the exit ramp by 6:35. Plenty of time to get in right?

HELL NO! NOT EVEN CLOSE! The traffic is a standstill and you would literally go minutes without moving a cars length. It is about a half mile from the ramp into a parking garage but it mind as well have been 60 miles. I could have made the hour long ride to Mohegan Sun and been there in less time! The time ticks away. 6:35 turned into 6:50. 6:50 turned into 7:00.

We were barely getting anywhere. By probably 7:10 a reality was setting in would would not even be in our seats by the 7:30 showtime. I was losing my mind. Cars from all directions trying to make it on to the main strip with the garages. The frustration mounted as hundreds of cars started laying on the horns and shouting out there car windows.

People were getting out of there vehicles and peeing in bushes along the side of the highway. The time continued to tick away. 7:10 quickly turned to 7:30 and still we sat in hopeless gridlock. We inched our way forward as the honking of car horns remained a symphony in the background. Finally at approximated 7:50 we found ourselves parked in a garage and we hurried towards the venue.

When we got in the building we heard Rush playing and we still had to hit the rest room before going to our seats. In the rest room we were informed this was the first song of the night. That was good news. Perhaps the band caught wind of the chaos that was taking place outside and delayed as long as they could. In the end Rush put on there typical great show but the night was marred by the nightmare outside. Never am I ever going back to this venue. Its amazing they don't have a handle on how to efficiently get people into the venue. A nightmare to remember!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, traffic jams suck. I remember the first time seeing Pink Floyd in Philly ages ago - traffic came to a standstill on a bridge (I-95) and we were there for what seemed like an eternity. Worst part, we could see the stadium (outdoor) and see the lasers and lights when the show started.... we missed almost half of it.

QUOTE (LedZep @ Oct 11 2012, 07:51 AM)
Yep, traffic jams suck. I remember the first time seeing Pink Floyd in Philly ages ago - traffic came to a standstill on a bridge (I-95) and we were there for what seemed like an eternity. Worst part, we could see the stadium (outdoor) and see the lasers and lights when the show started.... we missed almost half of it.

I am thankful I was 20 minutes late and only missed 1 song. Got lucky on that one.

getting into philly aint that bad from jersey. i'm gonna get there at 5 and tail gate for a bit. i figure we can't be stuck in traffic for 2 hours trying to get over the bridge into the stadium complex area. it's not like it's an eagles game. runs pretty smooth in and out of that area in all directions. if anything leaving the area with everyone at once is not that much fun.

gonna hear middletown dreams instead of body electric cause they played that the last show.

At least you guys got the good set list:

1. Subdivisions

2. The Big Money

3. Force Ten

4. Grand Designs

5. The Body Electric

6. Territories

7. The Analog Kid

8. Bravado

9. Where's My Thing?

10. Far Cry

Set Two

11.Caravan

12. Clockwork Angels

13. The Anarchist

14. Carnies

15. The Wreckers

16. Headlong Flight

17. Halo Effect

18. Seven Cities of Gold

19. The Garden

20. Manhattan Project

21. Drum Solo

22. Red Sector A

23. YYZ

24. The Spirit of Radio

Encore:

25. Tom Sawyer

26. 2112 Part I: Overture

27. 2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

28. 2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

I hope I get this setlist in Tampa with Middletown Dreams in place of Bravado.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Wow! I was at the show as well, coming in from Westchester County. I was so concerned about traffic on the Turnpike at rush hour (no pun intended) I took Merrit to Norwalk then hopped on 95. Got to the arena about 6:30 and parked no problem as well.

Sorry to hear about what happened.

QUOTE (Curly @ Oct 11 2012, 10:20 AM)
10 minute drive or 10 minute walk from venue?

Drive. Why would I drive to a 10 minute walk?

QUOTE (LedZep @ Oct 11 2012, 06:51 AM)

I was staying in Norristown with a friend, and got there PLENTY early, but I didn't get back to his house until about 4:00am after that show!

QUOTE (Tick @ Oct 11 2012, 06:28 AM)
A nightmare to remember!

will you ever be the same? tongue.gif

sorry to hear about that. i know you have seen them many times but there is a strong sense of urgency to get to a rush show. particularly with todays ticket prices.

QUOTE (mk2112 @ Oct 11 2012, 11:45 AM)
can i ask a daft question....if it's a 10 minute drive, then isn't it a distance that could be walked? I guess it's too late once you're stuck in the traffic though!

No, its not really walkable. It would be a 2 hour walk,(aprox 9 miles) and you don't want to be walking through Bridgeport. No, you don't do that. no.gif

and I don't think you would want a 9 mile walk home either.

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (Tick @ Oct 11 2012, 07:05 AM)
QUOTE (LedZep @ Oct 11 2012, 07:51 AM)

I am thankful I was 20 minutes late and only missed 1 song. Got lucky on that one.

Too bad they didn't open with that Diane Sawyer song eh?

QUOTE (Snaked @ Oct 11 2012, 07:27 AM)
This is why I ALWAYS get to whatever venue the show is at nice and early.
You NEVER know what might get in your way if you wait till there is just enough time.

Me too, but the problem is some folks have to work on show day. I'm taking the day off for the Seattle show, driving up there (3 hour drive) and should arrive by mid-afternoon. That's my goal anyway as I want to get there before rush hour traffic kicks into high gear. My buddy that lives up there that's going with me is also taking the day off, or at least half of it so will come downtown to the arena early as well and we'll start pre-functioning late afternoon. trink39.gif

My sincere sympathies for your traffic issues last night. I had the same thing happen in LA at Metallica's Summer Sanitarium show at the LA Coliseum about 15 years ago. Near total gridlock trying to get into the area and we missed 2 bands, Powerman 5000 and someone else I can't remember.

Hey, try going to see RUSH live at the Verizon Ampitheatre in Irvine, CA. I swear, even if RUSH was starting at 7AM on a Sunday morning, it would still take an hour to get from the freeway off-ramp into the venue.

Agree with the early arrivals crowd. I have seen Rush several times and can't recall a time they started much more than 15 minutes past the time printed on the ticket. I know they need to in order to give us three hours but I appreciate it. I remember the Stones starting an 8PM show at 9:15PM. Ironically, Mick blamed it on Keith getting caught in the traffic around Dodger Stadium.

I drive New England for my job and this was the ONLY reason I didn't make the drive down to Bridgeport (from Mass.) to see RUSH. I dread driving anywhere in the state of CT just for the sole reason of TRAFFIC! I've never been in a state where there are too many cars for the types of roads in CT.

I'm sorry to hear your experience; I would have been pretty devastated to miss out on any of the concert! sad.gif

I went out of town to catch my show, and chose to stay at a place a 10-minute walk from the venue. Left nice 'n' early, got to the venue an hour before the show was scheduled to start, and passed the time chatting with random Rush fans. The walk home afterwards, however, was rather sketchy - not a very good part of town, and quite a number of single guys swarming around, looking for a girl to have a good time with. I ended up getting a little lost on my way back, made the poor decision to cut through an alleyway, with guys lingering behind me just outside my field of vision... was very, very happy when I finally got inside my building and locked the door behind me! scared.gif

I've always managed to walk to my shows, mostly because I have to go to another town to see Rush, and end up staying at a place within walking distance. I can't imagine sitting in a traffic jam, watching the clock tick away and becoming increasingly anxious as I realize I'm actually going to miss some of the show! sad.gif It's like a nightmare!

Edited by Mika

QUOTE (Snaked @ Oct 11 2012, 09:27 AM)
This is why I ALWAYS get to whatever venue the show is at nice and early.
You NEVER know what might get in your way if you wait till there is just enough time.

Agreed. I always, always do this. Even for bands I love less than Rush. I know it's not always an option for everyone on a work day, but that's what vacation days and personal days were made for, it you can use them.

QUOTE (ClassicB @ Oct 11 2012, 01:44 PM)
I drive New England for my job and this was the ONLY reason I didn't make the drive down to Bridgeport (from Mass.) to see RUSH. I dread driving anywhere in the state of CT just for the sole reason of TRAFFIC! I've never been in a state where there are too many cars for the types of roads in CT.

Most of CT is actually pretty good. However, Bridgeport does not fall into that category laugh.gif

Nor does most of southern CT... unsure.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Oct 11 2012, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (ClassicB @ Oct 11 2012, 01:44 PM)

Most of CT is actually pretty good. However, Bridgeport does not fall into that category laugh.gif

Nor does most of southern CT... unsure.gif

Yes, traffic in CT is always tough (I-95 or Merritt Pkwy, doesn't matter I've sat for hours on both). Ugh. That's one of the reasons I didn't go to Bridgeport, too.

Bummer of a way to begin an evening.

QUOTE (jjgittes @ Oct 11 2012, 11:27 AM)
Hey, try going to see RUSH live at the Verizon Ampitheatre in Irvine, CA. I swear, even if RUSH was starting at 7AM on a Sunday morning, it would still take an hour to get from the freeway off-ramp into the venue.

Yeah Irvine Meadows as it used to be known as is brutal......and getting out after a show is even worse. Same with the Gorge up here in Washington state. Long time to get in and even longer to get out.