Led Zeppelin: 'Celebration Day'

Gompers

He plays well in the spirit of his father without mimicry. The other three were PLEASED with his performance. You couldn't wipe the smiles from their faces when they'd look back at him playing. Jason had to feel one hundred feet tall that night. That's some pressure. Playing in the wonderful, historic band your dad helped create and standing in his vast shadow...trying to carve out a place in that for yourself and to do your dad's music proud. John was an amazing player, so no simple feat. Really it couldn't have possibly been more appropriate.

Fantastic :haz:

And I'd agree with Presto-digitation that Kashmir and No Quarter were the high spots. I thought No Quarter had by far Page's best soloing of the night. He was on fire on that one.

I'm loving the CD version. I haven't been listening to Zep much lately and it broght back all kinds of memories.

Me too! I bought the DVD+CD combo on Thursday, saw only the highlights and brought the CDs to liste to during work. Honestly, I can´t remember the last time I´d heard No Quarter, maybe 20 years ago! Great show, and surely a night to remember. I think they made the right decision not to carry on touring, it would banalyze the whole experience...but if they did a VERY short one, like 5 or 10 dates only, there could be changes in the set and all that. Imagine how great would Custard Pie, The Ocean, In the Evening etc. sound today?

Got a couple of friends that had live Zep ruined for them by Song Remains the Same to watch the blu-ray saturday night and they were amazed at the quality of the band and the actual recording. Page is still a little sloppy at times and I never cared for his added flourishes during stairway but the energy level is fantastic and both Page and Plant sound better bow than on SRtS. Jason Bonham really blew them away too.

Got a couple of friends that had live Zep ruined for them by Song Remains the Same to watch the blu-ray saturday night and they were amazed at the quality of the band and the actual recording. Page is still a little sloppy at times and I never cared for his added flourishes during stairway but the energy level is fantastic and both Page and Plant sound better bow than on SRtS. Jason Bonham really blew them away too.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Page's work on TSRTS or HTWWW. I think he's sloppy and "noodles" way too much, I was stunned that he broke out the bow on Dazed on Confused on Celebration Day (or I assume he did, I have the CD but not the DVD). I guess 11 minutes is an improvement over 30 minutes, but jeez guys, learn when it's time to move on from something.

I finally.. FINALLY.. downloaded this, is on sale at amazon for $5.99. Wow, what a gift. Pretty amazing stuff, even if they did fix a couple things in the studio. It was a one-off, after all. They were one of the greatest bands ever, and still had it in 07- in spades. Son Jason did a great job. It's a shame they didn't take it on the road, switched out some songs. IMO it wouldn't have besmirched LZ's legacy. I think it's safe to assume this isn't going to happen again, so, it's a gift. A real celebration. :haz:

There was an embarrassing period of five years when the best live Led Zeppelin album might actually have been Great White's Great Zeppelin (released 1998).

Then we got How the West was Won in 2003 and the TSRTS Remaster in '07.

Now with Celebration Day, it's almost an embarrassment of riches for great live Zeppelin albums.

• Like 1