Meeting Rush arriving at the arena?

I didn't see anything like this posted anywhere- although I admit I didn't read everything....

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has ever had luck meeting The Boys as they show up to the arena? I wouldn't even think about trying for Neil that way, but maybe Alex or Geddy?

I say do what you want. It's your life the worst that can happen is it's a learning experience.

Most people here will discourage you as not to make this a regular thing at all shows,but I say

you should do it if you really want to,if all you want to do is say a quick hello or cheer for them,obviously getting them to sign about a bunch of stuff wouldn't be a smart move but i don't see why greeting them as they show up is so bad when they have canned "cheer" for the boys at meet and greets.

Doesn't mean I personally would do this but again live your life don't not try just because some message board peeps said not to,you never know what life might bring.

I went to Regina in '08 for the show and arrived early. Security was so loose I was able wander in a few hours early and watch them set up for a while.

So I'm sitting in the stands and a quarter of the way around the concourse I see Neil and Michael(?) rumble right into the arena with their bikes. They stopped for a bit and then took off.

I'd never think of walking up and saying hi, especially in That situation. Al or Geddy I maybe would have made an attempt though..

I say there's no harm in trying to meet your music idols if you're not creepy about it. Everyone knows to tread lightly around Neil though and if you understand his personality it shouldn't be too hard to respect that..

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Oct 9 2012, 10:31 PM)
You could get a "shout-out" in Roadshow 2.. wink.gif

Well, that might be worthwhile.... laugh.gif

I honestly wasn't expecting much positive response or success stories, but I thought I'd ask- as someone said, you never know... I know it sometimes works with ballplayers before a baseball or football game. (Hey, wouldn't it be cool to have Geddy's signature on a baseball, given his love for the game?)

I don't think I'll try it. Just curious.

I would say it's woth a shot to do it one time. Just don't make it a habit if things don't work out. What's the worst that's gonna happen? A security guy tells you to leave the area or Ged and Alex just give you a quick wave "hi" and keep on moving.

I am 99% sure that wouldn't work out well for you. It would be a negative experience. They're not exactly known as a warm and accessible band in that way...Lifeson might be the exception.

Regardless, you have 2 choices: Try to meet them and have a terrible experience and never think the same of Rush or let it go and enjoy the music from the band you love!

No friggin' way would I do that. I can't stand when my parents (who live across the street) call me the second I walk in the door. I can't imagine how these guys feel when people think that it's just for a second...they're amongst it all for months and months out of the year...

I can't say I'd blame them if they were total jerks when they're expecting a certain level of privacy.

Their tour busses and my jeep both were on the highway together as we headed into Peoria, Illinois. Not sure if they were on them but someone definitely was peeking out at us as we had a big Starman flag hanging off the back.

It was when they played w/ primus.... after 44 shows cant remember which tour!

Alex and Geddy fly home to Toronto after most shows and fly in to the next a gig. A town car takes them right through the back gates to the back door and it's as simple as that.

If you want to catch a glimpse at the gate through tinted windows then please do.

QUOTE (hermy @ Oct 10 2012, 10:00 AM)
Alex and Geddy fly home to Toronto after most shows and fly in to the next a gig. A town car takes them right through the back gates to the back door and it's as simple as that.

If you want to catch a glimpse at the gate through tinted windows then please do.

Really? So, when they tour the west coast do they really fly back to Toronto on their day off then fly back west again the next day? Wouldn't all that flying and the time change tire them out too much?

QUOTE (Middletown Dreamer @ Oct 9 2012, 09:23 PM)
I didn't see anything like this posted anywhere- although I admit I didn't read everything....

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has ever had luck meeting The Boys as they show up to the arena? I wouldn't even think about trying for Neil that way, but maybe Alex or Geddy?

my advice would be get a life! cheer.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Oct 10 2012, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (hermy @ Oct 10 2012, 10:00 AM)
Alex and Geddy fly home to Toronto after most shows and fly in to the next a gig.  A town car takes them right through the back gates to the back door and it's as simple as that.

Really? So, when they tour the west coast do they really fly back to Toronto on their day off then fly back west again the next day? Wouldn't all that flying and the time change tire them out too much?

I said MOST shows.........West Coast, the south, and over-seas being the exceptions.

QUOTE (Spaghetti Lee @ Oct 10 2012, 02:56 AM)
I think you should go up to Geddy and ask him how the hell he sang "Alien Shore" without throwing his unused Rick at Neil's face.

If I ever get a meet and greet, I will do this.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Oct 10 2012, 09:47 AM)
Their tour busses and my jeep both were on the highway together as we headed into Peoria, Illinois. Not sure if they were on them but someone definitely was peeking out at us as we had a big Starman flag hanging off the back.
It was when they played w/ primus.... after 44 shows cant remember which tour!

Yeah, probably not a good idea, either. Especially flying a Rush flag.

Hermy is correct - for shows in the northeast, Geddy & Alex are usually home by 1:00am.

Around mid-way last tour, they started beefing up backstage security. As for a "chance" meeting, I'd just let it go.

I thought I had heard somewhere (maybe in one of their videos) that Alex and Geddy stay in 1 centrally located hotel for a few gigs, then fly to another hotel for the next few. Don't know if they drive or fly from the hotel to each gig.

That being said, I really don't care where they are at any given point in time. I just think it's interesting how logistics work for putting on a big tour and how bands travel "below the radar". Nothing more than that.

Edited by GernTheFish

QUOTE (Middletown Dreamer @ Oct 10 2012, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Oct 10 2012, 12:15 PM)

Hermy is correct - for shows in the northeast, Geddy & Alex are usually home by 1:00am.

Man, that's gotta be expensive. Think of the cash they'd save by spending a few nights in a hotel or crashing on a bus.

You're joking, right? Granted, their buses are nicer and better appointed than most people's homes however, road life is waay old by now. These guys aren't party animals either so, there are no after-show blowouts & debauchery and no real reason for them to hang around. Plus, there's nothing like a good night's sleep in your own bed. You can't really blame them, can you?

I just think it's interesting how logistics work for putting on a big tour and how bands travel "below the radar".

The Rush organization has become very savvy at keeping a low profile on the road and it's all by design. No good can come from attracting unwanted/unneeded attention.

Edited by FOH Lights