This is the crap RUSH has to go up against

Cygnus

i finally saw what they had to say, and needless to say I got annoyed. Which of course gives me something to rant about on my show. They made their case and I made mine if ya care to listen and ROCK OUT

10-10-12 RUSHfast

details:

soooo I finally got around to seeing what all the hubub was about from LA Times music critics Randall Roberts and Randy Lewis video blog about the Greatest Band To Walk The Earths recent nomination for the RnR HOF. As you can see by the track listing I got a bit shall we say...aggravated? They make their case, and I make mine. I just back up my case with evidence for over 2hrs of why RUSH rules.

Thanks to http://www.rushisaband.com/ for the links)

user posted image

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, where to begin

They don't like Rush. Do all the voters that vote yes have to "like" the bands they vote it? Don't they really have to be voted in based on their accomplishments, whether you like them or not?

Their opinions are the same opinions as most that don't like Rush....all the same. They simply don't get it. If they feel Rush's music is not from the heart, they absolutely do not get it. You can strike a chord emotionally with people with music alone. They clearly don't hear that. It's all about the lyrics, which are impersonal many times, that's fine. But there is something much different in Rush's music that absolutely strikes an emotional chord for me...and most fans.

A few things they said that struck me:

1. The guy on the right said every time Rush finds a good groove, they get impatient, and leave that groove and goes somewhere else. That was interesting and almost verbatum to what my wife says. My argument back is when they leave that groove they find another groove that may be even better. That's the magic. Many grooves in one song

2. The guy on the left said Elvis Costello's "Radio, Radio" rocks more than Spirit of Radio. Really? Are you insane? That is a joke and automatically disqualifies him from credibility

3. The one getting all the comments-Rush isn't danceable. LOL Yes you're right-not danceable. No band deserves to be in the RRHOF that isn't danceable right? There aren't any bands in there that aren't danceable rofl3.gif

These guys stated their opinion eloquently, and wanted attention. They knew they'd get it by pissing off Rush fans...and they are getting it now. I think the joke is on all of us

Day 2

Thinking about it - it has to clearly be a joke. They were put up to this just to piss the fans off or to lampoon the RROF's reasoning for not putting them in for so many years.

This is BS.

We may need to find a DUH smiley for people like them, though. or a NO BS smiley...

These two may be idiots BUT the RR HOF does bring in an inordinate amount of CASH to the Cleveland, and that's what the main focus of the place is. Shameless self promotion and tax revenue to the city. Took my niece last year for the Women in Rock expo, and yeah it was great BUT there's a floor dedicated to The British Invasion. THE BEATLES..that little band GOT ALMOST THE ENTIRE EFFING FLOOR the Stones got what seemingly was "The Corner" as in you've been a bad boy go sit in the corner. Fairness does not exist at the RR HOF. Old timey stuff like Elvis and all the Blues n R&B from the 40's and 50's yes they get their due as the ROOTS. What is it 20 years after their eligibility? They'll get postage stamp sized recognition. Keep it, I'm too busy dancing to Geddy Lee n the Gang!

It's very difficult to say something positive about a band you are not "into". I've read negative comments about Elvis Costello, The Clash, ABBA and Madonna on this forum. Just imagine if any of the people here who share those sentiments had their own radio show or video platform that was widely subscribed to. Just imagine what the Elvis Costello and Clash fans would be saying - pretty much exactly what you lot say about the negative comments about Rush.

At least The Clash and Elvis Costello were at the forefront of their respective music genres, Rush were not. They went progressive at the tail end of Prog and most of the heavy rock they made popular had already been done by the likes of Led Zep.

I can't think of anything remotely positive about Kiss, yet plenty here love them. Those two old blokes are not on the RRHOF panel, they are just giving a subjective opinion of Rush's music. They probably have little idea about the gateway they provided for Canadian bands, the musicians they inspired and the bands that name them as influences and that is OK.

It's all a matter of taste get over it. Rush have always divided people into lovers or haters, to get upset about this is just childish.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 10 2012, 02:09 PM)
It's all a matter of taste get over it. Rush have always divided people into lovers or haters, to get upset about this is just childish.

You're not channeling the spirit of Al Davis... are you? Say Raiders.... and see if it sounds like Rayduhhhs.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 10 2012, 08:14 PM)

You're not channeling the spirit of Al Davis... are you? Say Raiders.... and see if it sounds like Rayduhhhs.

I made a Divine Interjection rather than a Divine Interception... wink.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 10 2012, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 10 2012, 08:14 PM)

I made a Divine Interjection rather than a Divine Interception... wink.gif

I just love this clip of Al...

After firing Lane Kiffin:

"I realized when I hired you that you were young and inexperienced and that there would be a learning process for you. I realize that you did not want to draft JaMarcus Russell. He is a great player, get over it."

It's very difficult to say something positive about a band you are not "into". I've read negative comments about Elvis Costello, The Clash, ABBA and Madonna on this forum. Just imagine if any of the people here who share those sentiments had their own radio show or video platform that was widely subscribed to. Just imagine what the Elvis Costello and Clash fans would be saying - pretty much exactly what you lot say about the negative comments about Rush.
At least The Clash and Elvis Costello were at the forefront of their respective music genres, Rush were not. They went progressive at the tail end of Prog and most of the heavy rock they made popular had already been done by the likes of Led Zep.
I can't think of anything remotely positive about Kiss, yet plenty here love them. Those two old blokes are not on the RRHOF panel, they are just giving a subjective opinion of Rush's music. They probably have little idea about the gateway they provided for Canadian bands, the musicians they inspired and the bands that name them as influences and that is OK.

all of the fun of politics, with none of the harmful consequences of policy...

I like debating music, some people like litigating legal cases...go with what ya know.

But I still dont get the Zep references beyond the 1st record. I have always felt they are a perfect hybrid of hard rock, metal and prog. nobody sounded like them really before, and no one really does after. What more could you want from your favorite band?

Edited by ucsteve667

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Oct 10 2012, 08:55 PM)

But I still dont get the Zep references beyond the 1st record. I have always felt they are a perfect hybrid of hard rock, metal and prog. nobody sounded like them really before,

Well I'd say they channelled Led Zep (with a hearty dose of The Who and a few Prog Bands) right up to and including AFTK.

But that's just my opinion. Mind you, it's the same opinion that I held in 1977... wink.gif

Edited by Tony R

*Begin Rant*

The fact that the one journalist was comparing Rush's music to Bebop jazz was cracking me up big time. Bebop and Rush are apples and oranges for the most part, even though you do see a bebop inspiration in Rush music. To summarize my feelings, taste in music is subjective, and I really don't think their arguments for disliking Rush are really that good. A lot of the things they dislike about the band are precisely why certain people like them.

That being said, what's neat about Rush is that they take elements of complicated music (like bebop) and and elements pop music and put them together in a really masterful way so that people who like complicated music can also get a taste of very well constructed pop melodic themes. I don't see why this is a problem... I also don't see why having multiple varying themes in a piece of music is a problem. Since catchy themes are simplistic it's easy for a listener to "get the point" so I think the theme change ups in Rush music are really refreshing, not a sign of impatience. The band does a great job of telling stories with the way they match the music to their lyrics. Who wants to hear 5 chords repeated 20 times? Not this girl.

Bebop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOmA8LOw258

*End Rant*

Edited for shortening reasons....

Edited by udanax

I'm guessing these guys haven't actually listened to any Rush album released since 1980 because some of the stuff they saying (e.g not having a groove) just doesn't apply to any album from Signals onwards.

Have they listened to Counterparts? Roll The Bones? The new album?

I say this as a recent convert to Rush who held similar views for a long time but by a happy accident found myself re-introduced to this brilliant band.

I think the prog-rock tag as applied to Rush is in any case way out of date. I just can't see any similarity between Rush and bands like ELP, Yes, Genesis etc.

The RoR Hall of Fame is a pointless load of pants anyway.

I listened to just enough to get really angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

But, keep on going back to read the comments- A lot are suprisingly violent, makes me a little sad sad.gif Especially the gay-bashing type comments. sad.gif Not something Geddy, Alex, or Neil would want associated with them.

On the other hand, it is remarkable how a trio that supposedly make emotionless music (according to the critics) evokes such intense passion.

QUOTE (L36TOS10 @ Oct 12 2012, 03:10 AM)

Of course not. That would mean that they actually gave Rush a fair chance. Black shirt guy had nothing but positive things to say about TSOR, yet he didn't like it. Why? Because it wasn't "cool". The Sex Pistols and The Clash were cool so that's what he likes instead. They're sheep.

People can like and dislike whatever they want to, don't get me wrong, but to understate the importance of a band, just because you personally dislike them, is just childish and unbecoming of a professional music journalist.

Look, I HATE the Sex Pistols. In my eyes, their "music" was completely worthless. But, they were very important to the formation of punk and influenced many people. You can't deny them that.

The heart of the matter is that if these two guys were on the voting committee, they wouldn't vote for Rush just because they don't like them. I bet that there are plenty of people on the voting committee who feel exactly the same way.

Watched the Joe Strummer Doc yesterday.

(one of these two tools thought Strummer was the bomb)

Anyway, I dig a few Clash songs and like how they moved punk away from thrashing Sex Pistols shite.... But the band disbanded when they became what they despised most--a pop music, 80s band. Look the outfits they wore when Should I stay broke... they looked like Boy George.

They fired the drummer and one of the other members, then Strummer left to play rhythm guitar for the Pouges. Not much of a 'great' legacy if you ask me.

And the way Depp and Cusak were talking about Strummer while sitting around some camp fire, like he was John Lennon or something. It was so-oooo pretentious.

A 3-chord punk band singing about complicated political issues in somehow not pretentious, but Freewill... oh no, we can't sing about philosophy....

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Oct 12 2012, 10:45 AM)

Of course not. That would mean that they actually gave Rush a fair chance. Black shirt guy had nothing but positive things to say about TSOR, yet he didn't like it. Why? Because it wasn't "cool". The Sex Pistols and The Clash were cool so that's what he likes instead. They're sheep.

People can like and dislike whatever they want to, don't get me wrong, but to understate the importance of a band, just because you personally dislike them, is just childish and unbecoming of a professional music journalist.

Look, I HATE the Sex Pistols. In my eyes, their "music" was completely worthless. But, they were very important to the formation of punk and influenced many people. You can't deny them that.

The heart of the matter is that if these two guys were on the voting committee, they wouldn't vote for Rush just because they don't like them. I bet that there are plenty of people on the voting committee who feel exactly the same way.

It seems that no matter how many artists state that they were influenced by Rush, the critical community will simply ignore it. They made up their minds 30 years ago on the matter.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Oct 12 2012, 03:45 PM)

I think it's worth pointing out that when Spirit of Radio was released in 1980 punk was itself already way past its sell by date. The Sex Pistols had split two years earlier in 1978 and the Clash were already a fairly ordinary mainstream rock band (e.g London Calling). So I guess these 'journalists' have got their timelines just a little bit confused.

No one has to like Rush but for someone to put themselves across as a professional rock critic and then demonstrate a wilful ignorance of 75% of the output of one of the biggest rock bands of the last 40 years kind of makes them look like a pair of idiots.

Sid Vicious was hired for his look, certainly not his playing and stuff. So thats yer credibility in a nutshell there. Not to mention his legacy he sealed in Nancy's blood at The Chelsea Hotel. Even Lydon hated what The Pistols became. If thats what impresses that guy, its pretty sad. I like Strummer, I appreciate what the Clash did, but they lost me at that god awful Rock The Casbah and was glad they all went on to do other things.

QUOTE (L36TOS10 @ Oct 12 2012, 10:10 AM)

I think the prog-rock tag as applied to Rush is in any case way out of date. I  just can't see any similarity between Rush and bands like ELP, Yes, Genesis etc.

Really? wacko.gif

Have you actually heard the full catalogues of those bands?

Ha, the Hall of Bullshit. I didn't keep track of it for a long time because I thought "If Rush isn't in it, how relevant to music can it actually be?", but I about lost my shit when I learned that Deep Purple, among others have been barred access to something called a f***ing "Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame".

I mean, the whole thing is just an insult to music. I laughed when I learned to that Pop and Rap stars are in, because that just further proves the point. It doesn't matter. Let them have their crap. Let them have the trendiest popularity contest in the world, because anyone who actually understands or cares about real musical talent will go "Rush and Deep Purple aren't in? What the f**k kind of Hall is that?".