This is the crap RUSH has to go up against

Cygnus

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LedRush @ Oct 8 2012, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Oct 8 2012, 11:19 AM)
Will this piss me off?  I can't listen to it if it will piss me off.

Don't listen.

I wont, but it has pissed me off any ways.

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

my first thought when i heard that Rush might be inducted was, I hope they don't get in, and if they do get in and show up for it I will loose all respect for them. This video is the perfect example of why RRHOF has no credability.

It's not that they don't get it, it's that these guys are about nothing but a bunch know it all activists that live in an elite utopion snoboturium. Rush an some of the others like Yes are about music and nothing but. They don't kiss the butts of all the powers that be and all the activist that are trying to save the world. They just make great music and more great music, and quietly do thier own right thing.

What is lost on these guys is that there are so many people that play an instrument (and well) because of Rush and Yes and some of the others.

I don't think I know a single player who does not cite Neil or Geddy as a reason to play.

These two morons are clueless and will never get it. I hope Rush never joins RRHOF since integrety seems so offensive to them.

Glittering prizes and endless compromises, shadder the illusion of integrity. These 2 turds would not know integrity if jumps up and bit them on the face.

One guy liked The Spirit of the (sic) Radio and then decided he liked punk better and the other doesn;t like Rush because he went to an ELP show that was too long. This is an example of people making decisions with a small percentage of facts and a large percentage of taking in stereotypes of what they think they know. I don't care if they like them or not I would just appreciate it if it was based on an informed opinion.

The amusing thing is they are so high on the Clash and the Sex Pistols who had no real staying power and are time capsules while Rush has been such an ongoing living band with eras and genre differences. Rush is just tailor built to be liked by critics it is baffling that they are so universally hated. They also don't understand that the lyrics of Rush contain passion and aren;t pretentious but they'll never know that if all they listen to is 2112.

The problem here is you have 2 tools who have never played a guitar, drums or bass in their life. Their musical experience is probably playing trombone in the high school band and graduating community college with a 2 yr degree in journalism and pop culture. That's like telling me that someone who eats nothing but Taco Bell is a qualified food critic.

Any credible rock musician will admit that Rush's music is challenging, even if it's not their taste. They showed their true colors by focusing on Geddy's singing rather than the musical composition and complexity.

'Eww icky singer, I don't like them'...sounds like my wife (who only listens to Elton John, Celine Dion and Anne Murray).

These guys are borderline musically retarted...A major reason Rush shouldn't bein the Hall of Fame is because YOU CAN'T DANCE TO THEM, GEDDY'S VOICE IS TOO HIGH, AND THEY'RE FROM CANADA? WHAT!? LOL....I understand opinions, but you can't hate on a band because of a voice...But saying you can't "DANCE" to it!?!? OMFG.

"We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction." - http://rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process/

Ok, so now that we have this here, lets review these critics reasoning for not wanting Rush in the RRHOF:

1. Pretentious Lyrics

2. Geddy's Voice

3. Un-Danceable wacko.gif

I'm pretty sure that was all of them.

Now, what then hell did any of that have to do with the hall of fame criteria?

Basically they said "We don't like them, so they are unimportant".

Face the facts guys: Rush has influenced countless musicians including critical darlings like the Foo Fighters. Their body of work is nearly unequaled in both size and consistency of quality. Rush has existed for nearly 40 years and has released 20 albums. Clockwork Angels, album #20, was almost universally praised by critics and fans a like and has had a great chart presence. Rush's music is innovative, combining full-fledged progressive rock productions with hard rock, metal and new wave genres. Lyrically, they've tackled a very wide variety of topics, not just the usual cliche's of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. They've delved into fantasy and scientific topics as well. The instrumental virtuosity of the musicians is also considered to be near the top of the rock spectrum, with all three members being regularly cited as among the best players of their instruments.

The Sex Pistols, a band that released one album, could barely play their instruments and hilariously exploded in a heap of their own hubris and excess, now that's a real band.

EDIT

More Ranting

These music journalists are a joke. These guys have clearly never played an instrument in their lives. If they did they would understand something that they completely missed. They said that passion is the most important thing to them in music, thus implying that Rush lacks passion. They just don't understand.

Here's a question: do you work as hard as you can, spending YEARS of your life practicing and studying your instrument, trying to be the best musician that you can be, if you are not passionate about it?

And that's exactly it. These people don't understand musicians. They don't understand music. That's why in their critical reviews, they focus on literally anything else besides music. They criticize Rush for Geddy's voice or the wordy lyrics or the un-danceble nature of the band, because that's all they understand.

These critics are, ignorant, self-important fools. Here's the good thing, in 10 years, no one will care about what the trend worshipping critics have to say, because their opinions will be out of date. The music of Rush and other bands marginalized by these assholes will live forever.

I feel better now. smile.gif

Edited by Dscrapre

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Oct 9 2012, 09:09 AM)
"We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction." - http://rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process/

Ok, so now that we have this here, lets review these critics reasoning for not wanting Rush in the RRHOF:

1. Pretentious Lyrics

2. Geddy's Voice

3. Un-Danceable wacko.gif

Face the facts guys: Rush has influenced countless musicians including critical darlings like the Foo Fighters. Their body of work is nearly unequaled in both size and consistency of quality. Rush has existed for nearly 40 years and has released 20 albums. Clockwork Angels, album #20, was almost universally praised by critics and fans a like and has had a great chart presence. Rush's music is innovative, combining full-fledged progressive rock productions with hard rock, metal and new wave genres. Lyrically, they've tackled a very wide variety of topics, not just the usual cliche's of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. They've delved into fantasy and scientific topics as well. The instrumental virtuosity of the musicians is also considered to be near the top of the rock spectrum, with all three members being regularly cited as among the best players of their instruments.

The Sex Pistols, a band that released one album, could barely play their instruments and hilariously exploded in a heap of their own hubris and excess, now that's a real band.

Un-Danceable?!

Sometimes in my super secret world I'm a exotic dancer and Vital Signs is my main song!

common001.gif

QUOTE (gangsterfurious @ Oct 9 2012, 12:23 PM)

1. Pretentious Lyrics

2. Geddy's Voice

3. Un-Danceable  wacko.gif

Un-Danceable?!

Sometimes in my super secret world I'm a exotic dancer and Vital Signs is my main song!

common001.gif

Ok firstly can we watch the dance?? 653.gif laugh.gif

Secondly these guys are typical of musical journalists across the globe....... Useless! Want to know what the latest album from a certain band sounds like, listen to it, ignore the critics. I'm sure Genesis are chuffed to know the only reason they're in the Hall of Fame is Phil Collins solo career! dazed025.gif

This is a joke, right? It has to be - These two writers are stupid as f$8K.

I say we burn them. 1287.gif

Los Angeles Times bitchslap.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 9 2012, 12:26 AM)
The amusing thing is they are so high on the Clash and the Sex Pistols who had no real staying power and are time capsules while Rush has been such an ongoing living band with eras and genre differences.

You're right in every point, but I wouldn't call The Clash time capsules. Honour to whom honour is due.

These guys are complete jerks, though.

And: you may even appreciate Rush if you've never played an instrument (or not to a degree that could actually be called 'playing').

Plus: Of course you can dance to Rush. Until the early 90s, there was a rock disco in my hometown that regularly played tom Sawyer, Spirit, Anthem and even Red Sector A - and the dancefloor was usually full when these songs came up. And kind of interesting dances you could see ...

Oh, You can absolutely dance to 2.gif most critics have no rhythm anyway, which is why their critics and not musicians. bitchslap.gif

Neil, here is a reason to leave California right there. Stupid people. CA is going to break off sooner or later in a quake so you should leave now. bolt.gif

QUOTE (gangsterfurious @ Oct 9 2012, 09:23 AM)

1. Pretentious Lyrics

2. Geddy's Voice

3. Un-Danceable  wacko.gif

Un-Danceable?!

common001.gif

That's a dance we need to see.

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Oct 9 2012, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 9 2012, 12:26 AM)
The amusing thing is they are so high on the Clash and the Sex Pistols who had no real staying power and are time capsules while Rush has been such an ongoing living band with eras and genre differences.

You're right in every point, but I wouldn't call The Clash time capsules. Honour to whom honour is due.

These guys are complete jerks, though.

And: you may even appreciate Rush if you've never played an instrument (or not to a degree that could actually be called 'playing').

Plus: Of course you can dance to Rush. Until the early 90s, there was a rock disco in my hometown that regularly played tom Sawyer, Spirit, Anthem and even Red Sector A - and the dancefloor was usually full when these songs came up. And kind of interesting dances you could see ...

I have nothing against the Clash but they are very dated soundwise and subject matter wise imo

The guy on the right says "I'm a big Meters fan" then goes on to say they are from New York. rofl3.gif

As anyone the least bit familiar with the Meters knows, they are actually from New Orleans.

When I heard that, I knew these guys had no credibility whatsoever.