Current Setlist refers to an important decision

losingit2k

Does the current Setlist infer that RUSH has rejected the idea of being a 70's Nostalgic Band  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Does the current Setlist infer that RUSH has rejected the idea of being a 70's Nostalgic Band

• Yes - Its a Clear statement by the band
    • No - This is only Temporary for 80's fans
    • Maybe - We still have to see how the next tour plays out

I think that the current setlist is a clear statement by RUSH indicating they will not become a Nostalgic 70's Band. Its seems that they have embraced the notion that their music is still relevant and with the strength of Clockwork Angels they can venture into other territories and still be able to sell out shows. Many may think that this 80's infused setlist may be temporary or just a gift to 80's fans but I feel that they made a very thought out decision to go forward and break new ground (Like after Moving Pictures with Signals), than become stagnent and just keep playing the same old tunes from their discography. It seems that every tour from T4E to TTMT was their attempt to acknowledge what came before ending with their best effort (Moving Pictures) which they played in its entirety during the last tour. With the release of Clockwork Angels I think they made a very bold decision to move Forward with their art and leave the distant past or 70's behind.

I surely hope not, but that what I feel.

Any thoughts?

QUOTE (mk2112 @ Oct 5 2012, 12:40 PM)
they might be saving a bunch of 70s tunes for 'R40'

According to Hermy there is not going to be any R40 Tour. If by any chance thats true, that just strengthens this assumption.

sad.gif

So, are they an 80s nostalgia band? That's a sill argument.

I think the explanation is simple - Geddy can't sing the 70s stuff anymore and he likes the 80s stuff more.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Oct 5 2012, 12:48 PM)
So, are they an 80s nostalgia band? That's a sill argument.

I think the explanation is simple - Geddy can't sing the 70s stuff anymore and he likes the 80s stuff more.

No they are not an 80's nostalgia Band either. I just feel that moving forward we'll see more Current songs. More 80's, 90's and 2K songs laced with Clockwork Angels Songs than 70's and 80's songs laced with Moving Pictures & Permanent Waves songs like prior. Just the fact that TSOR isn't permanent in the setlist and Limelight isn't even present on this tour is a big indication of that.

sad.gif

who the f**k knows? The more that things change

The more they stay the same

really more than anything IMO the current first set list is a sign of laziness. dusting off a few old songs they have played repeatedly in the past has got to be easier than busting out something new...

i disagree with the initial premise as well. rush has always played new material and never have been a nostalgia band IMO. the new stuff was always represented to a certain extent. even feedback 062802puke_prv.gif

I think that the statement that they are making is that they are not a nostalgia band in the sense that they aren't predictable. When you go see Kiss for instance, you know, in basic terms, what they are going to play. With Rush, that's not the case anymore. For me, that's very exciting. It means that over the course of 2 concerts, I've heard 42 different songs live. I got to hear some deep cuts that either never get played or are played very rarely. It makes me want to go again, because I feel safe that next tour, the show will be different again.

Unfortunately, I think that the band just assumed that people were more open minded then they are. Most people just want to hear the same songs over and over again.

Alex has made it very clear in recent interviews that he will NEVER be part of a "nostalgia band". I think it's safe to assume that the other guys feel the same way.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 5 2012, 01:26 PM)
I replied maybe - I am not convinced that a single event (in this case a single tour)is a clear statement about anything.

2.gif

Exactly, wait till the next tour if there is one, look at the setlist then we can spend six months dissecting, judging, opining, and arguing about it! 2.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Oct 5 2012, 02:53 PM)
Wow, no one has voted "Ney" on this poll! That says alot about how people truly feel concerning this new direction for our favorite Prog - Metal Band.

yes.gif

Well, to be fair, the question was so badly phrased that most people can't answer at all, and no one would answer "no".

Edited by LedRush

QUOTE (LedRush @ Oct 5 2012, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Oct 5 2012, 02:53 PM)
Wow, no one has voted "Ney" on this poll! That says alot about how people truly feel concerning this new direction for our favorite Prog - Metal Band.

yes.gif

Well, to be fair, the question was so badly phrased that most people can't answer at all, and no one would answer "no".

Why wouldn't anyone answer no? Its very possible this tour is a gift to the 80's fans.

confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 5 2012, 04:22 PM)
Come now, if they added in an additional 5 or 6 additional 74 - 81 tracks, that hardly would have made them a nostalgia band. no.gif

No but if they kept playing the same 8-10 74-81 songs that would place them in the Nostalgia Ballpark.

unsure.gif