LA Times criticizing Rush

maxeystcharles

That was eleven minutes I just wasted!

It's the same tired criticism: "It's pretentious" and "I can't stand Geddy Lee's voice".

At about the five minute mark, the guy on the right says "You can't dance to it".

I guess that says it all! laugh.gif cool10.gif

People have different tastes.

Personally, I never could get into the artists they raved about: Dylan, The Clash, Elvis Costello. Outside of a couple songs, I even find the Sex Pistols to be boring.

I find it ironic that the guy on the left complained about how progressive rock has no emotion, yet both of them picked Kraftwerk as one of the nominees they'd like to see get inducted. Come on! The band sings about robots and calculators! I actually like Kraftwerk, but I have to call them out on their hypocrisy.

I also find it odd that the guy on the left likes more complex music, but only if it is jazz or classical. It's like he has this notion that rock, by definition, can only be three chords and repetitive.

I can understand some of their arguments, but to me they don't seem like they apply to Rush. Rush has never really struck me as a "technical" band that is all about chops. They were just a band that I thought had interesting songs. Now, I could apply some of their arguments to say Dream Theater.

The guy on the right complains that Rush will get a groove going that he likes but then (because Rush is impatient) they'll change direction. They don't keep the groove going. I never noticed that in Rush' music so much. I would say someone like Frank Zappa is guilty of that. It's like Frank Zappa has attention deficit disorder.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Oct 5 2012, 04:12 PM)
That was eleven minutes I just wasted!

It's the same tired criticism: "It's pretentious" and "I can't stand Geddy Lee's voice".

At about the five minute mark, the guy on the right says "You can't dance to it".

I guess that says it all!  laugh.gif  cool10.gif

Thanks a lot for saving me those precious 11 mins trink38.gif

allow me to sum up this video...

"Hi, we are pop critics. Just like pop music, we are shallow but try to act like we are really deep. We will praise bands that pop-culture praises... but never before they become acceptable. We have no ideas of our own, but change words around to make it sound like ideas of our own. Anything that makes us think too hard, isn't good. Anything that isn't basic, isn't good. How shallow, pop driven and mindless are we? We would put N.W.A. in before Public Enemy. We didn't like the Sex Pistols till after Sid joined and they became a 'punk trend' type of band."

I don't even know what to say about these idiots..

They're obviously lacking between the ears. Just look at their eyes.. There's nothing there.. Scary

Edited by MMCXII

There is an old saying about critics:

Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves. ~~ Brendan Behan

I think the fact that there are almost 200 "dislike"s and not a single "like" for this video speaks volumes. yes.gif

That was the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen in my life

waffen093.gif -- -- -- LA Times critics

THANKYOU for nothing, go dance to your bloody crap.

rage.gif banghead.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 5 2012, 12:40 AM)
Those two gentlemen suck wet farts out of dead pigeons.

goodpost.gif

to quote Geddy Lee's Snakes & Arrows tour shirt, blah blah blah. This is the same generic regurgitated garbage I've heard countless times before about Rush. The best response is to live well and continue loving to do what you do, and the band has certainly done that. They are above the fray... Edited by NYM86

This is part of my reasoning for VOTING for Rush. As cool as it may be to not vote for Rush as a way of sticking it to the Hall, I don't see it sticking it to anyone but Rush....

Vote Rush in there so clowns like these can be even further pissed off.

I look at all those Hall of Fame polls around the internet where Rush is leading and it makes me laugh. I bet it's making these guys' blood boil.

But hey.... Can a couple of intelligent, well spoken Rush fans get together and film a nice retort to these guys' video? Nothing mean and fanboi-ish... Just a clear, concise reason why these guys are off base.

Edited by Gemari77

The dude says, "You can't dance to it." Really? You can't dance to Yes or Dream Theater either.

tongue.gif

What a dumb ass.

QUOTE (clintonb @ Oct 4 2012, 11:42 PM)
People have different tastes.

Personally, I never could get into the artists they raved about: Dylan, The Clash, Elvis Costello. Outside of a couple songs, I even find the Sex Pistols to be boring.

I find it ironic that the guy on the left complained about how progressive rock has no emotion, yet both of them picked Kraftwerk as one of the nominees they'd like to see get inducted. Come on! The band sings about robots and calculators! I actually like Kraftwerk, but I have to call them out on their hypocrisy.

I also find it odd that the guy on the left likes more complex music, but only if it is jazz or classical. It's like he has this notion that rock, by definition, can only be three chords and repetitive.

I can understand some of their arguments, but to me they don't seem like they apply to Rush. Rush has never really struck me as a "technical" band that is all about chops. They were just a band that I thought had interesting songs. Now, I could apply some of their arguments to say Dream Theater.

The guy on the right complains that Rush will get a groove going that he likes but then (because Rush is impatient) they'll change direction. They don't keep the groove going. I never noticed that in Rush' music so much. I would say someone like Frank Zappa is guilty of that. It's like Frank Zappa has attention deficit disorder.

I think it's funny that someone could use Geddy's voice as a reason to not like Rush and then in the next sentence talk about how they like Dylan. Costello also does nothing for me and don't get me started on the Sex Pistols.

It's also very close-minded to write off an entire genre because some if it "has no emotion" or is too technical or whatever. They obviously haven't listened to The Garden, but whatever. What's so emotional about a bunch of the acts already in the hall that are just singing about boogying or getting laid?

If they're going to be critical at least come up with some new material.

My thoughts? These two are morons. Genesis got in because of Gabriel's solo career? And gee wilikers, ya can't dance to Rush so they must be bad. doh.gif Well I guess that's why he wants Summer in so bad. Now that's dancin music!

So, the guy on the right liked Rush at first (specifically, The Spirit of Radio). When he found out it wasn't cool to like them, he switched to The Clash and Elvis Costello. Is that something to be proud of?

He can couch it in saying his taste changed, but it seems like he was making a genuine and honest decision to like Rush, but then simply followed a trend which told him he shouldn't listen to them. You can tell that part of him still likes Rush, but I doubt he'd ever admit it.

Also, he implies that punk somehow killed Rush, when their biggest album (MP) was released in 1981, long after the height of the punk movement. Rush can't be grouped into the '70s prog rock movement, they were always outside of that. Their success only grew after the '70s.

Is Rush pretentious? No more than these two critics who try to dictate to everyone what music is direct enough, simple enough, and cool enough to listen to. Of course, the lyrics can't be too wordy either. They impose those boundaries on music, doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

they listened to Rush for 6 months, Sex Pistols and Clash for more than that! Wow their music lives must be boring schla03.gif I think they have stopped to listen to Rush after Spirit of Radio and think they have not being able to go pass through the voice of Geddy Lee who has improved a lot after that. If they want keep listening to Sex Pistols and the tons of Jazz "boring" bands out there, good for them, but i think both are in contradiction with their statement that progressive rock is bad because it's lacking of emotions, i can say that about some Jazz music.

Those guys are so cool. So cool. I just wish I was as cool as they are cool.

Gosh.

Just, so cool.

And they're smart - you can tell because they obviously love how smart they are by the way they say cool, smart things.

Oops, time to quit work and listen to some sucky Rush music on the way home laugh.gif

I closed it when the pop music critic was introduced and offered their opinion on someone who should be inducted into the rock hall. It really shows what kind of people choose and care about the induction. Unsurprisingly people who know very little about rock.