DON'T vote Rush into the R&RHoF

liddybuck01

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 4 2012, 07:33 AM)
QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Oct 4 2012, 09:07 AM)
The RRHoF induction to Rush would be like....

You building a huge monument over dozens of years, that countless onlookers revere with amazement, only to have the architects digest send you an appreciation form letter.

pfft!

That's a fairly accurate analogy, but still the little acknowledgment from Achitect's Digest is at least "nice" to get.

Would you and the thousands who admired your monument for all those years be chanting "screw Architect's Digest!" on the Internet? no.gif

The hall is a cheap date nowadays, anyone can get in and does.

Like the integrity the the Hollywood Walk of Fame, used to be high in the days of Clark Gable, Jack Benny, but now with Britney Spears? Not good!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I don't think Rush would be on the list at all if there weren't certain fans that petitioned for this. And I feel like they are doing it to shut us up.

First off, they are also considering DISCO acts along with Rush. I can't take a place seriously that puts Rush and Donna Summer on the same ballot. No offense towards Ms. Summer because I have enjoyed her music as well. But I would never in a million years consider it Rock.

I don't even want to vote. I think Rush is too good for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They should have been recognized years ago and yet who makes it into there before they are even considered? MADONNA. Are you f-ing kidding me?!?!?

banghead.gif 062802puke_prv.gif banghead.gif

And nothing against Madonna because I've been listening to her since I was like... 4. But the woman didn't even learn how to play the guitar until about 10-12 years ago and she's... OK.

When I think of Rock.. and the people that deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. I think of those girls and guys that spent hours as young kids practicing in their garages or basements, writing their own songs, and becoming masters of their instruments.

Rush of course fits that description but to put them next to people who can't even pick up a guitar, didn't write their own songs, and are more of a pop act, is just a slap in the face.

QUOTE (softfilter @ Oct 4 2012, 11:58 AM)
The Kraftwerk fans are really in hiding  laugh.gif  That was another act that Rolling Stone tried to force feed the public on how great they were. Experimental, industrial, electronic... boring schla03.gif

I voted for Kraftwerk! I was surprised to see how few votes they had considering they were pioneers in electronic music.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Oct 4 2012, 07:45 AM)
I propose that instead of embracing the Hall of Sh!t's sad attempt to right their wrong, that we, in fact, stand up and say NO THANKS.

Why do we want Rush to be involved in something so completely ridiculous?

The boys have said that they don't care. They obviously know it's has no credit as a legitimate foundation, since they insist on inducting pop singers and rap artists before groundbreaking ROCK artists.

Let's wait until a real ROCK Hall of Fame is created, and rally around that.

Is only the Hall of Shit because Rush hasnt been voted in yet. You know damn well your tone about it would be much different if Rush got in 10+ years ago.

Rush isnt in because although we all know they are great, theyve never been innovators. Theyve never started new trends in music or changed the landscape of music itself. They always just did what others were already doing and tried to do it better.

2 kinds of bands get in. Change music, start new trends, popularize a new genre like Nirvana, Run DMC (yes they damn well deserve to be in) or Metallica, or just become uber popular like U2 or Madonna. Rush never did either of those things. Even Geddy himself said they have ALWAYS just reflected what others around them have done. They're essentially followers, not leader. Can you point to anything theyve ever done that was genuinely new? Not really. They were doing prog years after others were. They went to new wave when everyone else was already doing it. Alternative with Counterparts 3 years after Nirvana came out, harder edge in the 2000s when how many bands already were...

There are many great bands that have become legendary that never really did anything new that never got in, its not just Rush. The people that bitch about them not being in yet only do because Rush isnt in, and they dont understand what the Hall votes on. I do think Rush will get in just as like a sentimental favorite someday, but I dont think they really believe Rush should be in there due to what they vote on, and theres nothing wrong with that. They have their rules, end of story.

QUOTE (trenken @ Oct 4 2012, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Oct 4 2012, 07:45 AM)
I propose that instead of embracing the Hall of Sh!t's sad attempt to right their wrong, that we, in fact, stand up and say NO THANKS.

Why do we want Rush to be involved in something so completely ridiculous?

The boys have said that they don't care. They obviously know it's has no credit as a legitimate foundation, since they insist on inducting pop singers and rap artists before groundbreaking ROCK artists.

Let's wait until a real ROCK Hall of Fame is created, and rally around that.

Is only the Hall of Shit because Rush hasnt been voted in yet. You know damn well your tone about it would be much different if Rush got in 10+ years ago.

Rush isnt in because although we all know they are great, theyve never been innovators.Theyve never started new trends in music or changed the landsca pe of music itself. They always just did what others were already doing and tried to do it better.

2 kinds of bands get in. Change music, start new trends, popularize a new genre like Nirvana, Run DMC (yes they damn well deserve to be in) or Metallica, or just become uber popular like U2 or Madonna. Rush never did either of those things. Even Geddy himself said they have ALWAYS just reflected what others around them have done. They're essentially followers, not leader. Can you point to anything theyve ever done that was genuinely new? Not really. They were doing prog years after others were. They went to new wave when everyone else was already doing it. Alternative with Counterparts 3 years after Nirvana came out, harder edge in the 2000s when how many bands already were...

There are many great bands that have become legendary that never really did anything new that never got in, its not just Rush. The people that bitch about them not being in yet only do because Rush isnt in, and they dont understand what the Hall votes on. I do think Rush will get in just as like a sentimental favorite someday, but I dont think they really believe Rush should be in there due to what they vote on, and theres nothing wrong with that. They have their rules, end of story.

Innovation has little to do with many of the inductees.

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Oct 4 2012, 07:52 PM)
Some of y'all are getting way too up in arms about "Rock and Roll" being used as a stand-in for "Music that has resonated with youth culture since the 1950s." Of course Donna Summer and Public Enemy deserve recognition.

They arent even "Rock" - so if they change it to the Pop Music HoF it would make more sense.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 4 2012, 04:00 PM)
Some of y'all are getting way too up in arms about "Rock and Roll" being used as a stand-in for "Music that has resonated with youth culture since the 1950s." Of course Donna Summer and Public Enemy deserve recognition.

They arent even "Rock" - so if they change it to the Pop Music HoF it would make more sense.

Right, but their genres were both by some extension outgrowths of rock and influenced rock music that came after them.

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Oct 4 2012, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 4 2012, 04:00 PM)

Right, but their genres were both by some extension outgrowths of rock and influenced rock music that came after them.

Then it should be named to reflect those outgrowths. Especially if disco and genres that really strayed away from rock music (like the nauseating example of Chic).

I actually don't give a crap, just commenting on how the HoF espouses to be something it isn't.

I think alot of people forget that it takes 25 years from a debut album to be nominated for the R&RHoF, and Rush was in the middle of a 5 year hiatus in '99, they were basically retired as a band at the time. So maybe when they were first considered Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame worthy (that phrase just made me throw up a little) in '99, they were nowhere to be found. I don't know. As far as the general rock public is concerned, Rush didnt really become legendary status until the last 10 years as a reunited rock juggernaut. Maybe their window came and went and closed on 'em.

as for not voting for Rush to be in the R&RHoF, I don't really care one way or the other but I'm leaning towards wishing they weren't. they're too good for that lame institution.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 4 2012, 07:00 PM)

Chuck D long has said that rap is rock.

their first disc has vernon reid of living colour fame. their second disc sampled slayer. not to mention their collaboration with anthrax on bring the noize.

listening to old school PE pumps me up as much as old school megadeth. 1022.gif

QUOTE (keakag @ Oct 4 2012, 04:39 PM)
I think RRHOF has no place using that name. Its supposed to be rock music. NWA? Really? I'll say that I want them to get in so we can see them perform on TV.

well if eazy e wasn't dead maybe they could.

NWA made one really really great record and pretty much started gangtsa rap with SOC.

one final thought before i pass out......... cool10.gif

who is to say what rock is?

to those who think rap cannot be rock i turn the question around and ask can a disc truly be considered to be rock if they use a string section.....

Edited by tangy

QUOTE (trenken @ Oct 4 2012, 06:13 PM)

Rush isnt in because although we all know they are great, they've never been innovators. They've never started new trends in music or changed the landscape of music itself. They always just did what others were already doing and tried to do it better.

They're essentially followers, not leader. Can you point to anything they've ever done that was genuinely new? Not really.

Changing the landscape of rock music isn't a prerequisite for induction into the RRHOF.

While Rush may have taken what was popular at the time and put their own weird twist on it beginning with Permanent Waves, much of the material from COS through Hemispheres was an early example of progressive metal, and had a huge influence on subsequent bands.

By any standards they should have been inducted years ago.

yes.gif

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Oct 4 2012, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Oct 4 2012, 06:13 PM)

Rush isnt in because although we all know they are great, they've never been innovators. They've never started new trends in music or changed the landscape of music itself. They always just did what others were already doing and tried to do it better.

They're essentially followers, not leader. Can you point to anything they've ever done that was genuinely new? Not really.

Changing the landscape of rock music isn't a prerequisite for induction into the RRHOF.

While Rush may have taken what was popular at the time and put their own weird twist on it beginning with Permanent Waves, much of the material from COS through Hemispheres was an early example of progressive metal, and had a huge influence on subsequent bands.

By any standards they should have been inducted years ago.

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 5 2012, 12:46 AM)
QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Oct 4 2012, 07:05 PM)
let's all vote for Randy Newman instead laugh.gif

Let's all hit that ass wagon in the head with a baseball bat instead.

Wow, he DOES NOT have a friend in the good doc.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 5 2012, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Jeffrey @ Oct 5 2012, 10:06 AM)
I voted for  2.gif  Now it would be an even bigger shame if the greatest band ever  were nominated but did not get in.

in favor of Chic. sarcasm.gif

Don't forget Donna Summer... can't have a RRHOF without her. Her death this year will probably be enough to get her in.

Vote NO on 24.

If they are inducted, I truly and sincerely hope they DECLINE. Oh, the sweet irony... and it would be a mark of true greatness on their part. 1022.gif

Their discography, fanbase, and enduring career is a hall of fame unto itself. Being ignored by the RRHOF is part of their identity now, and I actually don't want that taken away.

I actually agree with the sentiment of the OP.

When Rush was first eligible I would have argued with anyone that they deserved to be in.

Back after the first couple of years of them being "snubbed" and people taking real notice, I took my first real look at what the "Hall" actually was - who was in, who was not.

Since then the band themselves have came out and said (sometimes more politely than other times) that they just don't care.

I know it means a lot to a lot of fans, and I fully understand and respect that. However, when I look at the overall picture, it just means very little to me at all.

I'm much prouder of their OOC and recent Governor General's awards.

I won't be voting for them for the HoF. If they get in, great. If they don't, that's just fine too.