Are Rush fans a bunch of ungrateful bastards?!!

Astroboy2112

Obviously not! But there is a 15% that is! I was looking at rushpetition.com and I noticed that out of the 80 +/- songs to choose from Middletown Dreams is ranked as the #3 most requested song by fans! Manhattan Project is ranked #10. Territories is #18. Grand Designs is #23. The Body Electric is #28.

So on the 1st set they are playing the #3, #10, #18, #23, and #28 most requested songs by fans out of 80 +/-

Isnt that worth something? If fans didnt want to hear those songs why the fux they voted for them?

What has happened when they play those songs? Crowds go dead. Yet the same so call "die hards" that stand there motionless or talking with their friends when those songs are played go absolutely bonkers when Spirit and Tom Sawyer are played! SO WTF? Fans just talk the talk, but dont walk the walk. Fans complain about the same songs being played ad nauseum yet only get enthusiastic when those songs they complain about are played! Rush plays songs fans have requested, they have said they have looked at rushpetition.com in the past, and they just stand there like fuc*&(^ bricks with ears with absolutely no response or reaction whatsoever.

So not only are they playing songs that have been requested by fans online, they are playing the new album which is a f***ing concept album full of quirky Rush moments, they have an 8 piece orchestra for the 1st time ever, they still covering a fair amount of hits with Subs, YYZ, Spirit, Tom, 2112 with grand finale, they giving u 2 drum solos, 2 instrumentals, an alex solo, new videos, awesome lights and pyro, Geddys voice is sounding fantastic, the performances have been stellar, no stupid opening band and a shorter set like it was for oh how many years? Yeah it was like that for 20 years! 74's-94'. They starting the Evening with format with T4E. They are fuckign 60 years old and they are still playing lights out and all these morons are still whining and complaining?!! I was reading some reviews at setlist.fm and that sh*t is a disgrace!

I remember when fans stood up for the band when the critics where putting them down for decades. Now it's the other way around, critics are praising Rush and the fans are the ones putting them down with all kinds of attacks. You even say you like the setlist and you get called a "fanboy" cuz to these fans is just not possible to like music made by your favorite artist anymore. WTF happened?! Male menopause?!

I remember when fans stood up for the band when the critics where putting them down for decades. Now it's the other way around, critics are praising Rush and the fans are the ones putting them down with all kinds of attacks. You even say you like the setlist and you get called a "fanboy" cuz to these fans is just not possible to like music made by your favorite artist anymore. WTF happened?! Male menopause?!

Just excellent.

Edited by eshine

I remember the night the new tour started, well the morning after anyway, and this place was on fire over all the Power Windows songs being played. It will all work out the way it is supposed to. Even if casual fans or wannabes don't cotton to all the 1980s material I'm sure you've noticed the reaction of the crowd when the Clockwork Angels material comes in. In St. Louis Clockwork Angels (the song) and Headlong Flight got everyone pumped up. I think you can forgive the less than fanatical person in the crowd for getting a little worn down after so much new and unfamiliar material. Then the old stuff kicks in and the place goes wild again. It's a wave upon wave show this time around and not everyone is going to get it.

I love the show this tour because it is exactly what no one expected. If they chuck a few songs on leg 2 or (hopefully) leg 3 for more well known songs then that's ok too, but we were there when they dared to take a chance and I love them for it. Brave artists are in rare supply these days.

QUOTE (professornutbudder @ Oct 3 2012, 11:19 PM)
The problem is the fans that have aged along with the band but stopped growing and became crotchety old men.

Do you mean like this Rush fan who hasn't liked anything since Signals?

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s410/datura67/3272833e.jpg

QUOTE (eshine @ Oct 3 2012, 09:22 PM)

Just excellent.

yes.gif GREAT post Astroboy2112! I love that I'm going to get to see some songs I haven't seen since the PoW tour and most the new album. What a treat!! I'm not interested in a 3rd leg of the TM tour.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Oct 3 2012, 10:57 PM)
Middletown Dreams is ranked as the #3 most requested song by fans!

The diversity of Rush fans is simply amazing. Personally, I find Middletown Dreams to be very mediocre - a filler song on that album. I have zero desire to experience it live.....and yet, many people want it..... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Gotta love "fan polls." How many participated in the polls v. how many RUSH fans are out there? Is the sample a true representation of the entire RUSH fandom?

I know I did not participate in the poll and I know of at least 100 other RUSH fans that did not as well.

Once a person has this information, one can tell you what it really means.

By the by - The Body Electric would be around 70 for me. Love the album - good tune...but no way....lol

2.gif

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Oct 3 2012, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (professornutbudder @ Oct 3 2012, 11:19 PM)
The problem is the fans that have aged along with the band but stopped growing and became crotchety old men.

Do you mean like this Rush fan who hasn't liked anything since Signals?

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s410/datura67/3272833e.jpg

Yep, that's the one!

So right, drgrendel. That so-called poll is like giving 50 starving people from Ethiopa a Big Mac and then polling them on how they'd rate the food quality. I don't put much stock in the numbers either.

Not sure I agree that RUSH is brave, per se. I mean the setlist has been done before and they decided to highlight a new album, something else not new. But they do deserve kudos for looking to reward their "hard core" fans. Your point reminds me of a radio talk show discussion about bands people like and would pay to see live yet never thought of buying one of their albums. Callers were flooding phone lines with stories about how they loved Fleetwood Mac, R.E.M, and The Who BUT they never bought one album of theirs. These fans knew them from radio only.

Rush probably has many of the same kind of fans-those that learned of them once they became radio friendly with "Permanent Waves" but don't own a copy of that or Moving Pictures. I see this tour as a way to reward those that actually bought their albums. Might be part of the reason for the drastic split on these boards although I am sure the dominant reason is many fans simply don't find the songs all that great.

I've read allot of post by fans who don't really like the setlist and that doesn't bother me as there will never be a setlist that pleases everyone. Heck , if they asked me to write a setlist I wouldn't be able to get it under 50 songs!

I'm just continually amazed at how some are just totally pissed at the songs they chose and talk about how Rush is breaking it off in their a$$#$.

I would love for them to do a tour of nothing but 70's stuff but until that happens I'm gonna enjoy whatever they decide to play because life goes by quick and tomorrow is never a garauntee.

trink39.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Rythm @ Oct 4 2012, 08:14 PM)
I've read allot of post by fans who don't really like the setlist and that doesn't bother me as there will never be a setlist that pleases everyone.  Heck , if they asked me to write a setlist I wouldn't be able to get it under 50 songs! 

I'm just continually amazed at how some are just totally pissed at the songs they chose and talk about how Rush is breaking it off in their a$$#$. 

I would love for them to do a tour of nothing but 70's stuff but until that happens I'm gonna enjoy whatever they decide to play because life goes by quick and tomorrow is never a garauntee.

trink39.gif  2.gif  trink39.gif

"Time is still the infinite jest !"

fists crying.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Isnt that worth something?

not one goddamn thing............

quit your crying and go see if your doctor can cure your case of fanboi flu.

if you think some dipshit poll is going to sway my opinion of this lackluster setlist you are wrong.

Obviously not! But there is a 15% that is! I was looking at rushpetition.com and I noticed that out of the 80 +/- songs to choose from Middletown Dreams is ranked as the #3 most requested song by fans! Manhattan Project is ranked #10. Territories is #18. Grand Designs is #23. The Body Electric is #28.

So on the 1st set they are playing the #3, #10, #18, #23, and #28 most requested songs by fans out of 80 +/-

Isnt that worth something? If fans didnt want to hear those songs why the fux they voted for them?

you know when you look at the petition your argument becomes that much more weak. remember this list only includes song they have not played since 1990 so it excludes all the expected hits.

with 17.8% of the votes ( rush geeks unite! )

Manhattan Project is ranked #10.

with 11.4% of the votes ( yawn )

Territories is #18.

with 9.1% of the votes ( decent song, hardly a crowd pleaser)

Grand Designs is #23.

with 7.8% of the votes ( meh )

The Body Electric is #28.

with 6.3% of the votes (setlist in distress )

add the number of folks who want to hear middletown dreams and manhattan project together and they still fall short of the 36.7% who want to hear the number one requested jacobs ladder.

add the folks who want to hear grand designs, territories and the body electric together and they fall short of the number two most requested song hemispheres at 24.5%.

glad you like the set list but you are digging yourself in a hole with a argument like this.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Oct 4 2012, 05:00 AM)

The diversity of Rush fans is simply amazing. Personally, I find Middletown Dreams to be very mediocre - a filler song on that album. I have zero desire to experience it live.....and yet, many people want it..... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif

The music & arrangement, the musicianship and performances of each band member, the lyrics and the meaning behind the lyrics, the sheer power and emotion of the song especially as it builds gradually through out the song... make it one of the best things they've ever done in my opinion. But, we all like different things and that's cool. Diversity, indeed. cool.gif

As for the OP, I think sometimes we think that the online Rush community is representative of everyone. Sort of like when a lot of people on these boards were calling for Rush to stop playing Roll The Bones and Drum solos...yet, when you went to see Rush live, those were some of the things that got the most enthusiastic audience responses.

The people who participated in that Rush Petition ARE probably estatic about the setlist. I'm thinking that the majority of the people at Rush shows--the people standing around looking bored when these songs are played---are not the ones who voted for these songs.

Heck, I haven't participated in Rush petition in years and only just started re-posting on these boards amongst the excitement of the new album and tour.

QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 5 2012, 06:20 AM)

if you think some dipshit poll is going to sway my opinion of this lackluster setlist you are wrong.

strong avatar to bitchiness ratio

QUOTE (av450 @ Oct 5 2012, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 5 2012, 06:20 AM)

strong avatar to bitchiness ratio

thank you very much! trink39.gif

cool10.gif cool10.gif common001.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 3 2012, 09:24 PM)
I remember the night the new tour started, well the morning after anyway, and this place was on fire over all the Power Windows songs being played. It will all work out the way it is supposed to. Even if casual fans or wannabes don't cotton to all the 1980s material I'm sure you've noticed the reaction of the crowd when the Clockwork Angels material comes in. In St. Louis Clockwork Angels (the song) and Headlong Flight got everyone pumped up. I think you can forgive the less than fanatical person in the crowd for getting a little worn down after so much new and unfamiliar material. Then the old stuff kicks in and the place goes wild again. It's a wave upon wave show this time around and not everyone is going to get it.

I love the show this tour because it is exactly what no one expected. If they chuck a few songs on leg 2 or (hopefully) leg 3 for more well known songs then that's ok too, but we were there when they dared to take a chance and I love them for it. Brave artists are in rare supply these days.

Word. I can't wait for mid-November when they hit SoCal twice!!! 653.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Bluefish @ Oct 5 2012, 02:45 PM)
This is probably because most of the people in the arenas are not fans who visit forums and take polls. They're casual fans who want to hear the 'hits.'

Now THAT would be an interesting and informative poll. Greet everyone who comes into the venues with a ticket and ask them if they're casual fans, die-hard fans, etc.

Won't ever happen, but it sure would settle any debate!!