Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - 2013 nominees

AM2112

My question... how in the world are The Meters (or Donna Summer, etc.) more deserving to be in the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame than

Kiss

Yes

Moody Blues

Boston

King Crimson

etc, etc, etc

wacko.gif fing.gif

BTW... I voted for Rush twice. I love how they are crushing everyone else in the poll. laugh.gif 2.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can vote! The fan vote probably will be ignored but at least you can have a say that you believe the Rush should be inducted.

http://rockhall.com/get-involved/interact/poll/

Rush is leading the fan voting at the moment with Deep Purple in at a close second place. Both bands are worthy in my opinion.

Joan Jett? C'mon... she made some nice music. She even had a hit! If you wanna put Joan Jett in the Hof, at least do it for a band she was in that was influential, "The Runaways". But as a solo artist did she have a "hall of fame" level career? No way.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 5 2012, 01:48 PM)
My question... how in the world are The Meters (or Donna Summer, etc.) more deserving to be in the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame than

Kiss
Yes
Moody Blues
Boston
King Crimson

etc, etc, etc

wacko.gif fing.gif

BTW... I voted for Rush twice. I love how they are crushing everyone else in the poll. laugh.gif 2.gif

I don't know who your "etc." is, but you're doing the Meters a disservice by lumping them in with Donna Summer. They're not even remotely comparable. Summer was more or less the Mariah Carey of her day: a pre-packaged pop star with a few radio hits. The Meters were a real band - probably the best New Orleans funk band ever. Like Rush, they are virtuoso players and a lot of other musicians, including current RRHOF members, sing their praises. I would argue they're at least as deserving as King Crimson (sure, let 'em in I guess), and way more deserving than the Moody Blues or Boston (no way).

QUOTE (Keith_Moon @ Oct 5 2012, 03:15 PM)
...you're doing the Meters a disservice by lumping them in with Donna Summer. They're not even remotely comparable. Summer was more or less the Mariah Carey of her day: a pre-packaged pop star with a few radio hits. The Meters were a real band - probably the best New Orleans funk band ever. Like Rush, they are virtuoso players and a lot of other musicians, including current RRHOF members, sing their praises.

I agree. One of my five votes went to the Meters.

And they were an awesome backup band, similar to the group of Motown studio musicians who went into the Hall in one of its first years.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 5 2012, 03:51 PM)
I agree.  One of my five votes went to the Meters.

And they were an awesome backup band, similar to the group of Motown studio musicians who went into the Hall in one of its first years.

Those Motown guys were the Funk Brothers - yeah, they were awesome.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 5 2012, 11:48 AM)

Kiss
Yes
Moody Blues
Boston
King Crimson

etc, etc, etc

wacko.gif fing.gif

Stevie Ray FUKKING Vaughan!!

Jethro Tull

Doobie Bros.

(adding to your list off the top of my head)

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Oct 5 2012, 06:39 PM)
Does anyone else NOT think it's a coincidence that this is the first year for "Fan Voting"? Doesn't this give all those morons at RS an out when Rush goes into the Hall?

"It wasn't my fault. It was all the stupid FANS!"

The fans aren't really having much of a say in this. The "fan ballot" is nothing more than an inconsequential and symbolic bone thrown to the fans by the RRHOF, as it will only constitute one of 600 votes cast in the process.

While Rush certainly deserves to be in the HOF, they may not get enough votes to be inducted! ohmy.gif

Don't get too excited yet.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Oct 5 2012, 03:01 PM)
Oh Shit!!!! The whole 2012 thing is REAL! We're all going to die. This is a sign of the apocolypse.

No it isn't. The Cubs did not win the world series this year.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Oct 5 2012, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE (HigherWater @ Oct 5 2012, 03:01 PM)
Oh Shit!!!! The whole 2012 thing is REAL! We're all going to die. This is a sign of the apocolypse.

No it isn't. The Cubs did not win the world series this year.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Oct 5 2012, 07:11 PM)
Does anyone else NOT think it's a coincidence that this is the first year for "Fan Voting"? Doesn't this give all those morons at RS an out when Rush goes into the Hall?

The fans aren't really having much of a say in this. The "fan ballot" is nothing more than an inconsequential and symbolic bone thrown to the fans by the RRHOF, as it will only constitute one of 600 votes cast in the process.

While Rush certainly deserves to be in the HOF, they may not get enough votes to be inducted! ohmy.gif

I don't think they will, the same old biased ass h*les still run the show. Nominated will be as far as they get.

QUOTE (jp_page_too @ Oct 5 2012, 03:00 PM)
You can vote! The fan vote probably will be ignored but at least you can have a say that you believe the Rush should be inducted.

http://rockhall.com/get-involved/interact/poll/

Rush is leading the fan voting at the moment with Deep Purple in at a close second place. Both bands are worthy in my opinion.

Joan Jett? C'mon... she made some nice music. She even had a hit! If you wanna put Joan Jett in the Hof, at least do it for a band she was in that was influential, "The Runaways". But as a solo artist did she have a "hall of fame" level career? No way.

Your forgetting the Blackhearts part of the Joan Jett nomination package and there huge substantial body of work eyesre4.gif But they do however Love Rock And Roll sooo that's a plus.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Oct 5 2012, 06:11 PM)

You're right, one of 600 votes will not be enough to get them in. But if there is a clear winner of the fan vote and that clear winner does not get in, they've just invited a bigger backlash than ever, and for what? A few clicks on their website?

If the winner of the vote does not get in, nobody will bother to vote in the future.

I'm thinking there's another motive to this:

"* Sigh * Ok, we're getting flak from the Rush people again. They're still making albums that their fans like, even though we don't get it. They're still touring and bringing in crowds of 40 & 50 somethings, which is in our demographic targets. They somehow turned this nerdy music into something cool that sells. Oh what the heck, let's throw them a bone and maybe ride their gravy train a little."

The HOF has probably realized that the Rush fanbase is significant enough to leech some of our money. Rush is nothing more than 'new inventory' for the HOF. This has nothing to do with musical integrity, it's just business.

Thanks for the nomination but HOF still sucks arse.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 4 2012, 03:52 AM)
If our votes truly count then the Boyz are in. biggrin.gif

As for acceptance... the ceremony is next April 18th. IIRC they will be in Europe. It would serve the HoF right if all they got was a video acceptance. tongue.gif

Rush winning that poll will only count as one vote out of over 600 votes. Does not really make a big difference but I guess every vote counts.

Well its about Damn Time!

I'm glad for boys, They more than deserve it!

Its going to be interesting seeing RUSH, and Flava Flav on the same stage.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Oct 6 2012, 06:01 AM)

.... Whew, no Iron Maiden. We're still safe.

'Cos, if you're gonna die

(If you're gonna die)

If you're gonna die, die

(If you're gonna die)

If you're gonna die

(If you're gonna die)

If you're gonna die

If you're gonna die, die with your boots on

If you're gonna try, well, stick around

Gonna cry, just move along

If you're gonna die, you're gonna die

trink38.gif