Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - 2013 nominees

AM2112

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Oct 4 2012, 02:47 PM)
I've said this from day 1:

Every year when Rush gets snubbed, all the Rushheads come out of the woodwork and say that "The RRHOF doesn't deserve Rush" and "I hope they never get in" and "It's better that they are not in", etc etc

I've always maintained that when and if the day comes that they do get it it will be one of the coolest things ever and all those same Rush heads will agree.

I disagree...I don't see it as a good thing at all.

Not necessary at this point IMO.

Ill repeat my opinion.

Sorta nice they got nominated, but we're competing with Donna Summer and Chic. Is that the line we want to get ahead in?

I'd, perversely, love it if they passed, but they wont, because Rush are gentlemen, as Alex would say "Good Canadian Boys."

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 4 2012, 07:46 PM)
Ill repeat my opinion.

Sorta nice they got nominated, but we're competing with Donna Summer and Chic. Is that the line we want to get ahead in?

I'd, perversely, love it if they passed, but they wont, because Rush are gentlemen, as Alex would say "Good Canadian Boys."

Bingo.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Oct 4 2012, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Oct 4 2012, 07:50 AM)
Rush's official reaction to the announcement via the band's Facebook page:

"We are honored to be among the nominees for this year's Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame. We are especially thrilled for the many, many dedicated RUSH fans to whom this nomination is so very important." - Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart

I love this quote. While they're gracious in accepting the nomination, they've never really cared about getting into the Rock Hall, but they've often gone on record saying they know how important it is to many of their fans. To me, this re-affirms it.

Thanks Phantom. Not understanding what a facebook is, I appreciate the post. wink.gif

Classy guys. I would expect no less.

All day long, I've thought of this announcement. I think it is really great that everyone who goes to the RRHOF and might not have heard of Rush but will now be able to see the band. I think it is great news for the band and new fans they may earn from entry into The Hall.

I am happy about the nomination. Vindication! While, I wasn't happy about their exclusion (F!%k the RRHOF!), now I will consider going if I'm ever in Cleveland.

I hope it is a move toward legitimacy for the RRHOF unsure.gif

2.gif 1022.gif

No problem. smile.gif

The guys are pretty classy, no doubt about it.

Even if I weren't a fan of the band, I'd find myself questioning some of the inductees.

Having said that, I've been to the rock hall and found most of it to be really interesting. In fact, the 3 or 4 hours spent there wasn't nearly enough. I'll plan another trip there soon.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 4 2012, 10:14 PM)
Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that we are analyzing entry of RUSH into a hall of fame that includes the likes of Madonna, Run DMC, REM and Blondie (no offense)?

Hey, REM before Losing My Religion was pretty good. Afterwards it got bad, but before they were great. As for the other bands on the list of yours, I agree with you 100%

I'm so happy for the guys and the fans that have wanted this to happen. I've never been like many of you and said that I don't care if they don't get in or I don't want them in. I admit whole heartedly I want them in but not to validate their career or our love for their music because they know they're good and we know they're good and it's been a "great adventure" together. To me it's the frosting on the cake that is their career, the cherry on top of the ice cream.

IT'S ABOUT FUKKING TIME and THEY BETTER GET IN!!!!

That said, when the hell are they gonna get Stevie Ray and Yes and Kiss in. Oh, and Deep Purple should be in this year too. Good to see them finally nominated.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (mmm_donuts @ Oct 4 2012, 07:42 PM)
I have diverse musical tastes, but I've never even heard of The Meters. Who are these guys? Did they work for the gas company?

The Meters are a seminal New Orleans (mostly instrumental) funk band, mostly active in the late 60's-early 70's. There has been personal friction between some of the members so the version of the band that most often plays together these days (the Funky Meters) doesn't have all the original members, but they still sound great. Think a much funkier version of Booker T and the MGs. Art Neville was on keys and vocals and his brother Cyril was also in the band for a time in the 70's. Bassist George Porter also plays with Bill Kreutzman's 7 Walkers these days. Because so many of their songs are instrumentals it's often hard to remember them by name but if you listen to any funk at all you've probably heard them. For the casual rock fan probably their best known song is Africa, because the Red Hot Chili Peppers covered it on Freaky Styley, albiet retitield "Hollywood".

The fact that they're not in the RRHOF underscores what a joke it is.

I know this has been beaten to death, but how does any institution perporting to be a HOF for rock not include KISS? Disclaimer: I am NOT a KISS fan. I like a few of their songs at best. I've never seen them live and don't want to. If you said to me, "KISS sucks" I would not argue. But having grown up in the 70's I can tell you that other than the Stones, Led Zeppelin and arguably The Who, there was no bigger rock band in that entire decade, at least in the US.

Sold shitloads of records? Check. Played to millions of fans in the States and in other countries, often selling out huge stadiums? Check? Wrote catchy songs that a lot of people still remember? Check. Still active today? Check. Huge cultural phenomenon (mostly in the 70's)? Check. Big influence on other bands? Check.

The knocks against them are that they were/are cheesey, copped from Alice Cooper and others, sold out with their many forays into merchandising, bad musicians, other than Paul and Gene a revolving door of personnel, and relied more on bombast and spectacle than actual musical talent. All those things may be true to some degree, but so what? Plenty of bands use over-the-top theatrics and sell swag. Bad players? Sid Vicious famously couldn't play at all. Multiple members? How many original members are in The Who or the Allman Brothers these days? How many keyboard players did the Dead have? (The answer is 6 for you counting at home.) Derivative? You think the Stones and Zeppelin never stole from anybody?

Just because they don't fit the bill of what Jann Wenner and his circle of elitist jaggoffs think is "art" doesn't mean they shouldn't be in. How in the world can the RRHOF have GNR, Metallica and AC/DC but not KISS? For that matter, how can they have Madonna, the BeeGees and ABBA? It boggles the mind.

Off my soapbox now.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Oct 4 2012, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 4 2012, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Oct 4 2012, 01:47 PM)
I've said this from day 1:

Every year when Rush gets snubbed, all the Rushheads come out of the woodwork and say that "The RRHOF doesn't deserve Rush" and "I hope they never get in" and "It's better that they are not in", etc etc

I've always maintained that when and if the day comes that they do get it it will be one of the coolest things ever and all those same Rush heads will agree.

Why? Seriously??

The RRHOF is a sham... does it change anything if they get in? What if they get that 1 fan vote by winning the poll, and that's it... they don't get in. Will it change anything about your enjoyment of the band?

"Wow, I really loved Rush until the RRHOF didn't vote them in... they must know something I don't" facepalm.gif

"one of the coolest things ever"

z7shysterical.gif

Seriously...to have the guys there...an artist paying tribute by playing their songs...(imagine Metallica covering 2112 or Foo Fighters playing Limelight)Not cool?

Sure - it's kinda cool, but "the coolest thing ever"? Just going to see them live is 100x more cool than them getting into an elitist club that purposefully excluded them for years. If they would have gotten in years ago - it would have been very cool. To get in now is a slap in the face.

I honestly hope they continue to kill the fan vote, but still don't get voted in. It will show just what a fraud the RRHOF truly is.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Oct 4 2012, 06:44 PM)
I truly hope they don't make it...or better yet, don't accept it.

AMEN TO THAT.

Their career, discography, and fanbase is a hall of fame unto itself. Imagine the sweet irony if they DECLINED entry. THAT would be a true mark of greatness right there. 1022.gif

Being ignored by the RRHOF is part of what gives Rush their identity. I actually don't want that taken away for some reason.

QUOTE (Keith_Moon @ Oct 5 2012, 08:26 AM)
I know this has been beaten to death, but how does any institution perporting to be a HOF for rock not include KISS? Disclaimer: I am NOT a KISS fan. I like a few of their songs at best. I've never seen them live and don't want to. If you said to me, "KISS sucks" I would not argue. But having grown up in the 70's I can tell you that other than the Stones, Led Zeppelin and arguably The Who, there was no bigger rock band in that entire decade, at least in the US.

Sold shitloads of records? Check. Played to millions of fans in the States and in other countries, often selling out huge stadiums? Check? Wrote catchy songs that a lot of people still remember? Check. Still active today? Check. Huge cultural phenomenon (mostly in the 70's)? Check. Big influence on other bands? Check.

The knocks against them are that they were/are cheesey, copped from Alice Cooper and others, sold out with their many forays into merchandising, bad musicians, other than Paul and Gene a revolving door of personnel, and relied more on bombast and spectacle than actual musical talent. All those things may be true to some degree, but so what? Plenty of bands use over-the-top theatrics and sell swag. Bad players? Sid Vicious famously couldn't play at all. Multiple members? How many original members are in The Who or the Allman Brothers these days? How many keyboard players did the Dead have? (The answer is 6 for you counting at home.) Derivative? You think the Stones and Zeppelin never stole from anybody?

Just because they don't fit the bill of what Jann Wenner and his circle of elitist jaggoffs think is "art" doesn't mean they shouldn't be in. How in the world can the RRHOF have GNR, Metallica and AC/DC but not KISS? For that matter, how can they have Madonna, the BeeGees and ABBA? It boggles the mind.

Off my soapbox now.

Absolutely right. Whenever fans are asked what bands should already be in the hall Kiss and Rush come up more than anyone.