Here's the problem...*I* think... *SPOILERS*

ALifeson85

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Oct 5 2012, 08:15 PM)
Anyone think the level of fan entitlement rises in relation to the ticket price?

Just a thought....

There might be a correlation there...would be an interesting scientific study!

2.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 5 2012, 11:05 PM)
Anyone think the level of fan entitlement rises in relation to the ticket price?

Just a thought....

2.gif

Ticket prices,

Hotel rates,

Gas prices,

Food costs...

None of these bring a sense of entitlement as much as $10.00 beers and $10.00 joints!!!!!! trink39.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 5 2012, 11:05 PM)

Just a thought....

2.gif

I hear that prices will rise again for the next tour and the setlist is from the Presto onward and only 3 staples:

Set 1:

Cold Fire

Caravan

BU2B

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trails

The Main Monkey Business

Show Don't Tell

Stick it Out

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Clockwork Angels

Set 2:

Far Cry

Test For Echo

Secret Touch

The Way the Wind Blows

The Wreckers

Limbo

Ghost of a Chance

The Anrachist

MalNar

Skin Trade (New Drum Solo)

Alex's Solo/ The Garden

Dreamline

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

Encore:

Limelight

Headlong Flight

Wait thats not to bad!

1022.gif drool1.gif 1022.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Oct 3 2012, 07:43 PM)
...as to why so many "casual" concert goers / casual Rush "fans" complain about what Rush decides to play on tour.

ranton.gif

You see, the average classic rock concert goer, is WAY TOO USED to seeing bands like Aerosmith, Kiss, Def Leppard, etc. who are ALL very notorious for playing the SAME "Greatest Hits" setlists, tour, after tour, after tour, after tour...and the fans are USED TO IT.

80% of them only see Aerosmith, to hear "Dream On", "Dude Looks Like A Lady", "Back In The Saddle", and "Love in an Elevator". They see Kiss to hear "Detroit Rock City", "Rock & Roll All Night", "Shout It Out Loud", and "Lick It Up". They see Def Leppard to hear "Pour Some Sugar On Me", "Photograph", "Foolin'", and "Bringing On The Heartbreak." And fans will ALWAYS get those, and all the other radio hits, when they see those bands.

...Then they see and/or hear an advertisement for the upcoming RUSH tour. "Oh man, RUSH!! I LOVE "Chronicles"! I GOTTA GET TICKETS!!" - not knowing that Rush has put out ALOT of music since 1987. They buy tickets for the show. (let's use the "Clockwork Angels" tour for this scenario) They GO to the show. Show starts. The band opens with "Subdivisions", "The Big Money", and "Force Ten". "HELLS YEAH!! 1022.gif", exclaims unidentified concert goer. He now expects to hear EVERY Greatest Hits/Chronicles song. Doesn't happen. Then comes the "Clockwork Angles" suite. "WTF is THIS SH*T?! rage.gif ". By the end of the concert, the guy is so irate, he spends the rest of his days on AN INTERNET FORUM, BITCHING ABOUT THE SETLIST. (Not mentioning names) bolt.gif

So in a way, bands like Aerosmith, Kiss, and Def Leppard, SPOIL average concert goers so much, that it ruins anti-nostalgia bands like Rush for them. They figure since THOSE bands play ALLLLLL the same hits on every tour, they expect the same thing from Rush. And here's the funny thing about people complaining about there not being "enough hits" played on the current tour. If you think about it, Rush has sorta ALREADY did two...yes, TWO "Greatest Hits" tours : R30, and the Time Machine Tour. I'll recap: (NOTICE: this includes both "radio hits" AND "greatest hits" found on Rush compilations: Chronicles, Retrospective, etc.)

30th Anniversary Tour, we got : The Spirit of Radio, Force Ten, Subdivisions, YYZ, Red Barchetta, The Trees, Tom Sawyer, Mystic Rhythms, Red Sector A, 2112, La Villa Strangiato, Xanadu, Working Man, Limelight.

Time Machine Tour, we got : The Spirit of Radio, Time Stand Still, Freewill, Marathon, Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight, Closer To The Heart, 2112, La Villa Strangiato, Working Man.

I don't know about you guys - but that's ALOT of "hits", from BOTH tours. But what I don't get, is that some of the people complaining about the Clockwork Angels setlists, and their lack of "hits" and/or over-abundance of mid-80's tunes, are the same people who also attended the R30 and/or Time Machine Tours, got to enjoy all those hits they like, then complain about the "Clockwork" tour - KNOWING that Rush has never been a "nostalgia band"! wtf.gif

rantoff.gif

popcorn.gif

yeah, and a lot of people think that ALOT is a word, and they use it a lot...but that's wrong too.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 5 2012, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE (billybobjoe1881 @ Oct 4 2012, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Oct 4 2012, 07:16 AM)
QUOTE (Gemari77 @ Oct 4 2012, 09:38 AM)
The problem comes in when tickets are purchased months in advance, and you have no idea that the band is going to ignore almost all of their most well known songs.

That's going to happen with older bands that are still making new music, still experimenting, still striving to keep their careers fresh and exciting.

One can buy tickets to a KISS concert a year in advance and know exactly what will be played. Can't do that with Rush or any other band that's still putting out new music.

Kiss is releasing a new album on tuesday.

From what I am hearing...it is not too bad at all. I bet KISS sells-out all over the place after this release.

2.gif

KISS plays a total of about 12-13 songs live. WTF is that all about? not cool to boast touring with motley crue, only to short change fans.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Oct 5 2012, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Oct 4 2012, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 4 2012, 11:24 AM)
CASUAL fan
TRUE fan
HARDCORE Fan

"Casual" fan = Someone who only knows Rush, solely because of the songs they hear on the radio, but don't really bother to dig deeper into their catalogue.

"True"/"Hardcore" fan = Someone who owns just about, if not ALL of the band's music, and would recognize every (or just about every) song, if it were played to them.

yes.gif

Casual, Has heard Tom Sawyer.

True, Knows Tom Sawyer air drum part lick for lick.

Hardcore owns the bobble heads.

laugh.gif

Pretty much! lol

yes.gif laugh.gif

Bobble head and socks too. smile.gif

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Oct 5 2012, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Oct 4 2012, 12:09 PM)
CASUAL fan
TRUE fan
HARDCORE Fan

"Casual" fan = Someone who only knows Rush, solely because of the songs they hear on the radio, but don't really bother to dig deeper into their catalogue.

"True"/"Hardcore" fan = Someone who owns just about, if not ALL of the band's music, and would recognize every (or just about every) song, if it were played to them.

yes.gif

Casual, Has heard Tom Sawyer.

True, Knows Tom Sawyer air drum part lick for lick.

Hardcore owns the bobble heads.

laugh.gif

Pretty much! lol

Ok... I own the bobbleheads and they are in my office at work....so I am hardcore.

I guess I do not like that label (hardcore) because I am not allowed to voice disappointment over CA Tour.

Gotta love "labels."

Can't we all just be RUSH FANS period? Or does there have to be a hierarchy?

2.gif

For Christ's sake, let's get pass this issue. It was their set list to decide. It's what they feel comfortable playing, and at this stage in their career and what they have given to us fans over the years, they don't owe us anything. I'm not a huge fan of the set list either, but I'm still looking forward to seeing them....again.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Oct 6 2012, 07:44 AM)
The problem comes in when tickets are purchased months in advance, and you have no idea that the band is going to ignore almost all of their most well known songs.

That's going to happen with older bands that are still making new music, still experimenting, still striving to keep their careers fresh and exciting.

One can buy tickets to a KISS concert a year in advance and know exactly what will be played. Can't do that with Rush or any other band that's still putting out new music.

From what I am hearing...it is not too bad at all. I bet KISS sells-out all over the place after this release.

2.gif

KISS plays a total of about 12-13 songs live. WTF is that all about? not cool to boast touring with motley crue, only to short change fans.

That is not the problem Kiss has. Their problem is they have two guys dressed as Ace & Peter. That is an ongoing insult to Ace & Peter and the fans - that's something I would never support financially. no.gif

I may not be thrilled with Rush's set list, but at least they're them - they aren't the absolute disgrace that Kiss is now. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 7 2012, 03:57 PM)

2.gif

That is not the problem Kiss has. Their problem is they have two guys dressed as Ace & Peter. That is an ongoing insult to Ace & Peter and the fans - that's something I would never support financially. no.gif

I may not be thrilled with Rush's set list, but at least they're them - they aren't the absolute disgrace that Kiss is now. 062802puke_prv.gif

That's considering that KISS wasn't a disgrace then either.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Oct 7 2012, 02:06 PM)

2.gif

laugh.gif

eyesre4.gif

Vintage kiss rules, my brother! yes.gif 1022.gif

I would just like to comment that even though I love the '70s stuff, I also love the CA setlist and hope it doesn't change by the time I get to see them. I have been bored to death with Rush's setlist the last three tours as they were always playing the hits and would only bring out one deep track per tour. I wasn't even going to go to this tour since it isn't coming anywhere near me but between liking CA a lot better than I thought I would and hearing a lot of deep tracks coming out of the woodwork, I am going to make the trip to Seattle to see this.

I have got to think that with Rush being around as long as they have, that most people who go to Rush concerts have seen them before and have seen all the hits already. I thank them for finally shaking up the setlist and will support them for it with my $. The only issue I have is I hope they stop the night A/night B stuff and go forward with one list. I have wanted to see Middletown Dreams forever and it would greatly annoy me to see The Body Electric instead.

seriously?

Ok...on a serious note...please someone..anyone...define the following:

CASUAL fan
TRUE fan
HARDCORE Fan

I am interested because I wish to know what category I fit in. Here are my credentials:

Own everything they released (non-bootleg material only) studio or live
Own all their DVDS
Read all of Neil's Books
Attended at least one show per tour since May 9, 1981 - sometimes multiple shows per tour

IMO - the current CA Tour is their weakest to date and I cringe at the thought of having to sit through more of their videos.

I really need to know what type of fan I am.

Thank you in advance to all those who are all knowing.

2.gif

Well, it's not my place to define those terms (which I think are subjective) but I would have to put you in the "Hardcore" category. I am probably in the "True" category. First saw Rush in 1979 but was a fan long before that. But I don't see them every tour and have only seen multiple shows on one tour. I have a life.

To the point of the OP, I am selfish. I want to hear AFTK, 2112, Moving Pictures... but I understand that I'm not in charge. I enjoy hearing good live music and watching talented musicians play it. On that I can never be disappointed by Rush. But I do hope to hear some of my favorites, although it seems they have retired Xanadu, which is my singular favorite.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Oct 3 2012, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Oct 3 2012, 07:43 PM)
But what I don't get, is that some of the people complaining about the Clockwork Angels setlists, and their lack of "hits" and/or over-abundance of mid-80's tunes, are the same people who also attended the R30 and/or Time Machine Tours, got to enjoy all those hits they like, then complain about the "Clockwork" tour - KNOWING that Rush has never been a "nostalgia band"!  wtf.gif

It's selfishness - plain and simple.

Some people want to hear their songs every tour, and they couldn't care less if the band is sick of playing those songs over and over again, if the band wants to pull other songs out of the Vault, or if the band wants to play their hot new album front to back.

All that matters is what they want to hear. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

That's it.... I like the fact that they play something different every tour...they usually try to get something from each era,b ut when they do the majority of a new album, the time for older stuff is limited.

No complaints here, even though some of that mid-late 80's stuff isn't my favorite era....a. I'm glad they're still touring, b. It's STILL Rush! confused13.gif

(and besides...my perfect setlist would probably get a lot of hate mail, so... tongue.gif )

I really like the setlist, especially the 1st set. If I had one preference it would be to substitute a bit more Signals (esp that its the 30th anniversary) in place of some of the Power Windows tunes.

regardless, its a good, different setlist and I cant wait for my 2nd show -- indoors -- in Jersey.

For me it is a simple fix and it really has nothing to do with their set selection. My offering is this:

1. Drop the Intro, half-time, outro videos. Really now....once it was funny but now it is beyond ridiculous to me. This is a show of music, not a theater.

2. Sprinkle new material throughout evening - yes yes yes...CA is a "concept album," but it doesn't have to be back to back to back to back to back to back. Neither did S&A. I personally do not see this as a good formula for exposing new material live. It is a bit much...

3. Three drum solos? Good grief! One is enough.

4. In the place of items 1 & 3, place more tunes in there.

2.gif

This setlist "controversy" is one of the silliest I have seen drummed up on these boards in some time.

I could give a crap if the guy next to me is a "casual" fan who is mystified by all this material he never heard.

Sucks to be you then.

This is an incredible show, one of Rush's finest.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 3 2012, 09:58 PM)
The only problems I see are Dreamline and Bravado. Replace with Neurotica and keep Manhattan Project for both nights.

But Dreamline is one of the hits the casual fans want to hear.

We get to see RUSH live, there is no problem!! I get tired of the setlist whiners. What'll they complain about in a few years when the guys decide enough is enough and they retire. NO SETLIST? C'mon people. We should be glad we get to hear their new stuff. We should be glad we still get to hear any RUSH played live and by the the three band members (even if it is the "new" guy on drums)!! We can go to any local club and hear a tribute band play the greatest hits. I hope "real" RUSH fans appreciate the deep cuts. Thanks for letting me vent! Only 46 more wakeups till I get to see The CLockwork Angels Tour rock Phoenix!!

2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Oct 7 2012, 04:06 PM)

2.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I saw the KISS Alive 35 tour, with the "imposters" and it was fine. It's not like the music is too hard to replicate, and the paint is the paint is the paint.

Could have done without the extended solos... Great confetti finale!

QUOTE (LedRush @ Oct 11 2012, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 3 2012, 09:58 PM)
The only problems I see are Dreamline and Bravado. Replace with Neurotica and keep Manhattan Project for both nights.

But Dreamline is one of the hits the casual fans want to hear.

I'm not a casual fan, and I like Dreamline...probably the only tune from RTB I DO like! confused13.gif