What's up with 70's Rush Fans?

Mystic Rythm

What's with all the whining about the 70's Rush fan getting screwed over? If Rush has EVER been anything they have been progressive. I love Rush from the first album to Clockwork Angels. They have always looked ahead in their music and not behind. I'm sure they will do an R40 tour and if it's anything like R30 it will be a Rushogasm! To only hold onto the 70's Rush is not paying respect to their huge impact on rock music over the last 35 years in my opinion and yes I have a right to that opinion. If you can't get past 1979 then wait until the 70's Time Machine Tour and jump on it then. Until then stop your Whining for Rush sakes and be thankful that they are still around AND still touring! trink39.gif

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Oct 2 2012, 11:42 PM)
The smell of trolls is strong with this thread.

Sorry you think I'm trolling. I just want to hear a logical reason why Rush should only think of their music pre 1980 instead of growing with time. confused13.gif

The whole "Rush screws the seventees fans" thing is nothing more then a silly non-issue perpetuated by a small percentage of fanbois on these messageboards.

Any Rush fan worth his or her salt knows that the band aren't going to be delving into their 70's stuff anymore.

The shows have recieved almost universal praise by fans and critics.

This is a fabricated controversy.

I think most of it has to do with the Rush you were introduced to. I was born in 1980 and most of my favorite Rush music is from the synth era, even most of HYF, which most Rush fans don't really like.

QUOTE (Motorshooter @ Oct 3 2012, 06:37 AM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Oct 3 2012, 05:03 AM)
I can't believe people are still creating threads about this.

I can't believe I'm still burning toast

And still eating the toast.....

QUOTE (Mystic Rythm @ Oct 2 2012, 11:46 PM)
QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Oct 2 2012, 11:42 PM)
The smell of trolls is strong with this thread.

Sorry you think I'm trolling. I just want to hear a logical reason why Rush should only think of their music pre 1980 instead of growing with time. confused13.gif

I don't think you're trolling but your topic is all but set up to invite them to post. Not the best idea in the world to have started this thread wink.gif

I don't take it as whining, just internal anger carried over from 1980. I know people that felt the world ended when they heard Spirit of radio on AM radio. The "cult" band that made Trekkies and math majors(as I was) "cool," the band they could latch onto, had abandoned them. I remember seeing John Fogerty in concert and the minute he said "I've got a new album out," the whole row got up to go to the bathroom. When Paul McCartney performs anything recorded after 1973, the smoking area is wall-to-wall people. Face it-what people heard when they first enjoyed the artist is what they want to hear.

RUSH is getting like Anne Hathaway. Like the 70's RUSH, she came along and was hot. She didn't mind showing off her skin at all in films like "Havoc" and that unwatchable-cowboys-in-love movie I had to sit through because friends of ours did sound effects for. Then she cut her hair and tried to get serious and clean with garbage like "Get Smart." I mean I can tolerate her "clean" stuff but I prefer the down and dirty Anne. Is that whining?

Edited by jjgittes

Great posts on this thread so far. I cannot help to feel that if they would just get rid of those insipid videos before and in the middle of the shows the fans can be treated to more music. Perhaps 1 or 2 70's tunes....lol...as an example to appease the wanting. I personally believe it to to a waste of valuable concert time to show thoses vids. Sort of akin to Kevin Cronin of REO, STFU already Kevin and start playing!

Know what I mean Vern?.....

They were funny/cool the first couple of times they did them, now they are taking up space and time IMO.

2.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 3 2012, 12:46 PM)
Great posts on this thread so far. I cannot help to feel that if they would just get rid of those insipid videos before and in the middle of the shows the fans can be treated to more music. Perhaps 1 or 2 70's tunes....lol...as an example to appease the wanting. I personally believe it to to a waste of valuable concert time to show thoses vids. Sort of akin to Kevin Cronin of REO, STFU already Kevin and start playing!

They were funny/cool the first couple of times they did them, now they are taking up space and time IMO.

2.gif

aaah Ernist to bad hes dead

QUOTE (limbo @ Oct 3 2012, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 3 2012, 12:46 PM)
Great posts on this thread so far.  I cannot help to feel that if they would just get rid of those insipid videos before and in the middle of the shows the fans can be treated to more music.  Perhaps 1 or 2 70's tunes....lol...as an example to appease the wanting.  I personally believe it to to a waste of valuable concert time to show thoses vids.  Sort of akin to Kevin Cronin of REO, STFU already Kevin and start playing!

2.gif

aaah Ernist to bad hes dead

Yeah...that was great stuff...but would have gotten stale after a period of time. Only so much of that one could take over the years - sort of like Andrew Dice Clay and Rush concert video skits...... Sorry...couldn't help myself.

2.gif

It's not like the videos are coming at the expense of any songs. They are already playing 3+ hours, and so the videos are just gravy added to the main course. I doubt we would hear extra music if the videos went away. But I do agree that the videos are pretty bad, and that goes for most of the images shown with the songs on this tour, especially the mechanical spider-whatever shown during one of Neil's solos (also shown during TM tour). Light show was good, but they'd have done much better to hire some grad students from a good art school for the video/images. OK, getting off topic here so I will say that it was easy to ignore the videos because I actually liked the setlist, even though it was light on 70s material.

They are already playing 3+ hours....

What exactly tour/band are you making reference to? The actual playing time is roughly around 2.5 hours. Intermission is not counted as playing time. I am making reference to current RUSH CA Tour.

2.gif