10 - Best Song From Grace Under Pressure

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1200 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• Distant Early Warning
    • Afterimage
    • Red Sector A
    • The Enemy Within
    • The Body Electric
    • Kid Gloves
    • Red Lenses
    • Between The Wheels

I went with The Body Electric.

English is not my native language so it usually takes a lot of listening before I'm familiar with the lyrics. Heck, there is even Rush songs I don't know the lyrics to. It doesn't bother me, because (and this is probably due to me being a guitarist) I focus on the melody and the "delivery" of the lyrics. There is a certain place in The Body Electric that always sends shivers down my spine, and gives me goosebumps. It's not the lyrics but the way he sings them:

Guidance systems break down

A struggle to exist - to resist

A pulse of dying power in a clenching plastic fist

To be perfectly honest, I love this album completely from start to finish, its a masterpiece! But I went for Afterimage. I adore the lyrics and the chorus melody is a killer!

Nothing to criticize with this album, I prefer it to Signals!

Gah, I'm having trouble with this decision. I want to say Red Sector A, but Distant Early Warning has a better melody, and some of the other songs come really close as well.

...I guess it's Red Sector A, the combination of the lyrics and some of the darkest, most powerful synth use I've ever heard from Rush put it over the top.

I am listening on Grace Under Pressure right now...and I must say, damn its hard to decide between the first four songs!

Before I would have said Red Sector A, but I have listened so much on this album latley that I love the whole album now.

I think I must say the song The Enemy Within.

For me it has to be Red Sector A. From the first tour and show of RUSH back in 84' this song stood out for me and STILL does today.

Kid Gloves because of the 5/4, the energy, and the awesome guitar solo.

I love that song too. You are right - the song has a lot of energy.

I just listened to Grace Under Pressure in its entirety (thanks Lorraine). My opinion hasn't changed. Its a good album. Red Sector A is still the star for me followed closely by Between The Wheels. Red Lenses is one of their worst of at least that era and probably ever.....

Power Windows tomorrow and then it gets scary from there..... :scared:

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I just listened to Grace Under Pressure in its entirety (thanks Lorraine). My opinion hasn't changed. Its a good album. Red Sector A is still the star for me followed closely by Between The Wheels. Red Lenses is one of their worst of at least that era and probably ever.....

Really glad to see you're getting in depth out past Moving Pictures, Narpski. :) Red Sector A's definitely my favorite, but I don't think DEW get's enough credit in the forum, like CTTH and Tom Sawyer.

Really glad to see you're getting in depth out past Moving Pictures, Narpski. :) Red Sector A's definitely my favorite, but I don't think DEW get's enough credit in the forum, like CTTH and Tom Sawyer.

DEW is an excellent song as well. I have the albums up to Power Windows and have heard them many times over just not the 80's one's recently. I know the bass tone ( the Wahl or whatever it is) is going to kill me on HYF. I like Mission but the rest we will see on Thursday.....

DEW is an excellent song as well. I have the albums up to Power Windows and have heard them many times over just not the 80's one's recently. I know the bass tone ( the Wahl or whatever it is) is going to kill me on HYF. I like Mission but the rest we will see on Thursday.....

Well, I love Forced Ten and Lock And Key from HYF, but the last two songs especially are semi-forgettable, if that helps your pre-listening experience.

Well, I love Forced Ten and Lock And Key from HYF, but the last two songs especially are semi-forgettable, if that helps your pre-listening experience.

Thanks. I will probably have to hold my nose but I am going to get through it. The one's beyond that are really going to be problematic I have a feeling. I tried to listen to Roll The Bones before once or twice. Yowza.... :(

Thanks. I will probably have to hold my nose but I am going to get through it. The one's beyond that are really going to be problematic I have a feeling. I tried to listen to Roll The Bones before once or twice. Yowza.... :(

It'll get better after you plow through Presto and Roll The Bones. You should AT LEAST like Nobody's Hero or Driven.

Also, Lock and Key on HYF is badass. You know that's saying something when you put "badass" and "Hold Your Fire" in the same sentence.

Edited by BowlCity

It'll get better after you plow through Presto and Roll The Bones. You should AT LEAST like Nobody's Hero or Driven.

Also, Lock and Key on HYF is badass. You know that's saying something when you put "badass" and "Hold Your Fire" in the same sentence.

I didn't know where else to stick this thought so here it goes. As promised I listened to Power Windows today. Its not even as good as I remembered it being. No wonder it ended there for me.... :(

I didn't know where else to stick this thought so here it goes. As promised I listened to Power Windows today. Its not even as good as I remembered it being. No wonder it ended there for me.... :(

I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't like the album until I heard it live during this last tour and now I really like it. I guess it's all a matter of context.

Given that's the case, I'd be surprised if you end up liking anything off Hold your Fire. I think you'll like all of their albums up to and including S&A a little more, though.