Don't feed the trolls

Prattster

Hey, I know I'm relatively new here, so I apologize if I'm stepping out of bounds.

There are way too many troll threads in this forum especially. I know its hard not to vent sometimes, but that's what keeps them fed.

There's a couple people in particular who came here obviously just for that purpose.

I say - starve the trolls.

It's been proven to work on other forums - they wither and die.

And amen.

/endrant

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very new here, but having read through several threads specifically designed to wind people up, I have to agree with you. I'm an admin on another (completely unrelated) forum, I have banned some posters for exactly that reason. I'm also in agreement with your solution, ignore them entirely as the pointless non entities they are!

Hope I'm not out of order either. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Prattster @ Sep 30 2012, 05:20 PM)
Hey, I know I'm relatively new here, so I apologize if I'm stepping out of bounds.

There are way too many troll threads in this forum especially.  I know its hard not to vent sometimes, but that's what keeps them fed.

There's a couple people in particular who came here obviously just for that purpose.

I say - starve the trolls.

It's been proven to work on other forums - they wither and die.

And amen.

/endrant

QUOTE (L3ander @ Sep 30 2012, 05:36 PM)
I'm very new here, but having read through several threads specifically designed to wind people up, I have to agree with you. I'm an admin on another (completely unrelated) forum, I have banned some posters for exactly that reason. I'm also in agreement with your solution, ignore them entirely as the pointless non entities they are!

Hope I'm not out of order either. unsure.gif

It can get pretty interesting here. You should see the political forum (SOCN). laugh.gif

trink39.gif and welcome!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 30 2012, 06:24 PM)
Feed me instead!

biggrin.gif

hotdog.gif pizza.gif burger2.gif bacon.gif cosmo.gif martini_shaken.gif

macallan.gif macallan.gif macallan.gif macallan.gif macallan.gif

bekloppt.gif cool10.gif

We are all members of various forums I am sure. I would make 2 observations about this particular forum:

1. Good, bad, or indifferent, there is an amazing amount of rope given to people. I really have no idea what it takes to get banned here

2. The trolls will always flock to where the food is. Rush fans seem to get particularly wound up even when that is clearly the intent of the troll. If I were a troll, I'd probably come here.

QUOTE (traeplien @ Sep 30 2012, 07:25 PM)
So, if it were up to you guys, you would ban people with opposing opinions? Not very secure in your beliefs, eh? Maybe we should create a perfume scented forum where all members hold hands and sing kumbaya as they lick each others asses. rofl3.gif

Whoa - hyperbole alert!

You seem to be painting "you guys" with a very broad brush stroke.

I didn't say anything of the kind.

There is a giant chasm between wantonly banning people who disagree with you and not encouraging people who are motivated by getting a rise out of other people.

QUOTE (Prattster @ Sep 30 2012, 07:50 PM)
So, if it were up to you guys, you would ban people with opposing opinions? Not very secure in your beliefs, eh? Maybe we should create a perfume scented forum where all members hold hands and sing kumbaya as they lick each others asses.  rofl3.gif

Whoa - hyperbole alert!

There is a giant chasm between wantonly banning people who disagree with you and not encouraging people who are motivated by getting a rise out of other people.

I am always amazed by brilliant people who can ascertain motive by just reading the written word.

2.gif

QUOTE (traeplien @ Sep 30 2012, 06:25 PM)
So, if it were up to you guys, you would ban people with opposing opinions? Not very secure in your beliefs, eh? Maybe we should create a perfume scented forum where all members hold hands and sing kumbaya as they lick each others asses. rofl3.gif

I'm pretty confident you can already find that forum on the net, with little effort.

kumbayasslickerz.net ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Prattster @ Sep 30 2012, 06:50 PM)
So, if it were up to you guys, you would ban people with opposing opinions? Not very secure in your beliefs, eh? Maybe we should create a perfume scented forum where all members hold hands and sing kumbaya as they lick each others asses.  rofl3.gif

Whoa - hyperbole alert!

When you describe posters as "trolls", you're pretty much opening yourself up to criticism. Do these so-called "trolls" really have that much of an effect on you that you need to have them censored? For Gods sake, its a music forum. Maybe ignore them?? I dunno. confused13.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Sep 30 2012, 09:18 PM)

I'm pretty confident you can already find that forum on the net, with little effort.

kumbayasslickerz.net ph34r.gif

Thank you. I'll be sure to look it up. wink.gif

Free speech is so much more Rush-like: even occasional spiteful negativity is better then censorship. Kudos to the moderators for resisting the urge to "clean things up a bit"

But at first, it was hard to read and ignore the trolls.

And the OP is correct, they would go away if they were not coddled and fed. Rush fans are easy pokey.gif targets.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 30 2012, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (Prattster @ Sep 30 2012, 05:34 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 30 2012, 06:24 PM)
Feed me instead!

biggrin.gif

What do you eat?

Ferrets and English teachers.

Interesting diet there...??

laugh.gif

No I would absolutely not ban people from simply expressing their opinions!! I was merely pointing out that those who are overly aggressive or deliberately antagonizing, get warned regarding their manner and (after an admin consultation) banned. I don't believe that a couple of trolls should ruin the forum experience for everyone else. As the OP mentioned some posters here seem hellbent on initiating an argument!

We keep spraying this stuff around the Forum but it never seems to last....

Time for a new application?

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/26315.jpg

wink.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 1 2012, 08:39 AM)
Pompous dismissal of contrary views as "trolling" is just that, pompous. And childish.

I have no idea how some of you tenderhearts survive in the "real" world.

Easy, they don't live here.

You said "tenderhearts". I could melt.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 1 2012, 02:59 AM)
We keep spraying this stuff around the Forum but it never seems to last....

Time for a new application?

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/26315.jpg

wink.gif

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif