Coolest Rush Album Title

rushgoober

Forget about the album cover or the music contained within. What is the coolest sounding studio Rush album title on its own?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Forget about the album cover or the music contained within. What is the coolest sounding studio Rush album title on its own?

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

This was a tough one for me. First, you have to divorce yourself from the music to judge the album title by itself, which can be hard. Secondly, there are just a LOT of cool album titles!

These are the ones I think sound the coolest regardless of the album cover or the music contained within:

Caress of Steel

A Farewell to Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Grace Under Pressure

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails

In the end, I'm voting for A Farewell to Kings - that album title just screams prog to me, and it's very literary - sounds like it would be a great name for a history book or a fantasy novel. 1022.gif

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Farewell to Kings is the only real one with an obvious play on words. Everything else, except for maybe CoS, is either a general term or something lack luster, IMO.

Now if you couple the album cover art with the title, it gets much more interesting. smile.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 28 2012, 06:37 AM)
Went with AFTK. If we included everything I might've even gone with All the World's a Stage.

If this were 1990 and they were still releasing a live album after every 4 albums, I might have included them, but then they started releasing hundreds of them (admittedly a SLIGHT exaggeration wink.gif ), so I opted to keep them out of this poll. Also, all the live album titles after Different Stages are more descriptive than artistic.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 28 2012, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 28 2012, 06:53 AM)
Coolest as in temperature - right?

Test For Echo looks the coldest, but Steel is really cold, so I went with COS.

eyesre4.gif

eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif

eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif

(because one eyesre4.gif wasn't enough no.gif )

rofl3.gif

Man, no respect... no regard neither. Obviously that is not why I picked COS, it was a tough choice for me between COS, GUP, AFTK and CA. (and that is the order I ended up ranking them)

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Sep 28 2012, 07:41 AM)
I went with Permanent Waves because of the radio waves thing, the tidal pools/Nat Science thing, and of course the hottie with the old school hairdo thing. wub.gif

So you're going by some of the songs/lyrics and the cover? Did you even read the instrucitons?

dazed025.gif

dazed025.gif dazed025.gif

dazed025.gif dazed025.gif dazed025.gif

(because one dazed025.gif wasn't enough no.gif )

wink.gif

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Sep 28 2012, 08:00 AM)
Caress of Steel and Counterparts are my favorites.  Presto and Power Windows are the ones I like the least.

Presto is arguably their worst album title - kinda goofy. Might as well have called it Abracadabra (not the Steve Miller Band's finest moment). I was also never a fan of Roll the Bones - either as an album title, or as an expression. 2112 doesn't say much on its own without the context of the album, but it is futuristic if you think of it as a date, and it's a palindrome, which is cool.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 28 2012, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Sep 28 2012, 07:41 AM)
I went with Permanent Waves because of the radio waves thing, the tidal pools/Nat Science thing, and of course the hottie with the old school hairdo thing. wub.gif

So you're going by some of the songs/lyrics and the cover?

no, I voted it the coolest title because it has three different meanings. Alot of Rush's albums titles have two (Moving Pictures, Hold Your Fire, Power Wondows) but PeW has three, at least in my opinion.

I went with Hemispheres. Hemispheres show up everywhere in nature and it is the basic structure of our brains. Everything radiates from the center (core) to the left and right.

Reminds me of an LSD trip where your at that peak journey into the very innermost workings of your brain. Trying to break into that crevice ... get farther and farther into the core.

cool10.gif

Signals. To me, that album speaks to the advent of technology and its place within the broader context of human communication and relations, from our days as bright-eyed analog kids to cynical digital men.

So it's a double meaning, because not only do devices give off "signals," but so do people every day with their words, body language, and actions.

Signals also gets my vote for coolest album cover. Love the random dalmation and hydrant.

Edited by NYM86

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 28 2012, 08:18 AM)
This was a tough one for me. First, you have to divorce yourself from the music to judge the album title by itself, which can be hard. Secondly, there are just a LOT of cool album titles!

These are the ones I think sound the coolest regardless of the album cover or the music contained within:

Caress of Steel
A Farewell to Kings
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Grace Under Pressure
Test For Echo
Vapor Trails

In the end, I'm voting for A Farewell to Kings - that album title just screams prog to me, and it's very literary - sounds like it would be a great name for a history book or a fantasy novel. 1022.gif

I agree with your selection, Goober! Looking over the list, these are the titles that stood out most to me.

I went with Caress of Steel, because it sounds so cool - metal that is soft? Being encaged in steel? A brush of a metal finger?

I also though about going with, simply, Rush. It's a nice, short, active word.