The Camera Eye

aaronrusso

Q:You'll occasionally throw a more obscure tune into your set list. Over the past few years you've done "Entre Nous," "Circumstances," and "The Camera Eye," and your die-hard fans lose their minds.

A: We try to do that. We're stuck with certain songs that we kind of have to play, but generally we do try to go back to songs that we haven't played either in a long time or haven't at all. It's fun to revisit those songs and inject a little bit of new life into them. We weren't really keen on playing "The Camera Eye" for a very long time. It wasn't until we ended up doing the whole Moving Pictures album that we made an effort. It ended up being our favorite song to play on a nightly basis. It's a challenging song to play and it's long. There are a lot of ups and downs and a lot of melody changes and key changes. It's a workout but to play it well is very, very satisfying for us. We'll continue to play it on this next tour.

interesting...anyone else see this?

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Sep 28 2012, 06:57 AM)
Alex talking about set lists in interviews: always take with a big grain of salt. smile.gif

Too bad. The Camera Eye is awesome.

Anyone notice the different mixes between the Time Machine Live CD and DVD? I bought them both at the same time, got the cool 'RASH' shirt with the set. I put in the CD on the way home, and immediately skipped to Camera Eye, as it is one of my favorite Rush songs. I was a little miffed from the get go. Geddy's vocals were horrendous (I'm quite aware the son was recorded 30+ years ago, but still......). When I got home and popped in the DVD, the vocals were quite adequate, and enjoyable. They even show a few buddies of mine on the DVD numerous times. They scored fourth row tickets the day of the show through the ticket distributor for $92 a seat.

QUOTE (CE24 @ Sep 28 2012, 06:28 AM)
Anyone notice the different mixes between the Time Machine Live CD and DVD? I bought them both at the same time, got the cool 'RASH' shirt with the set. I put in the CD on the way home, and immediately skipped to Camera Eye, as it is one of my favorite Rush songs. I was a little miffed from the get go. Geddy's vocals were horrendous (I'm quite aware the son was recorded 30+ years ago, but still......). When I got home and popped in the DVD, the vocals were quite adequate, and enjoyable.

I don't know whether the mixes are actually different (it's possible) but I definitely perceive them differently. I've always attributed it to the DVD's visuals engaging me such that I don't notice the audio flaws, whereas when listening to the CD I'm more hyperfocused on the music.

QUOTE (aaronrusso @ Sep 28 2012, 01:41 AM)
Q:You'll occasionally throw a more obscure tune into your set list. Over the past few years you've done "Entre Nous," "Circumstances," and "The Camera Eye," and your die-hard fans lose their minds.

A: We try to do that. We're stuck with certain songs that we kind of have to play, but generally we do try to go back to songs that we haven't played either in a long time or haven't at all. It's fun to revisit those songs and inject a little bit of new life into them. We weren't really keen on playing "The Camera Eye" for a very long time. It wasn't until we ended up doing the whole Moving Pictures album that we made an effort. It ended up being our favorite song to play on a nightly basis. It's a challenging song to play and it's long. There are a lot of ups and downs and a lot of melody changes and key changes. It's a workout but to play it well is very, very satisfying for us. We'll continue to play it on this next tour.

Buy the DVD, because they're not doing Camera Eye ever again. As much as I was itching for them to play that tune, after hearing it live, I realized it was much better left at the studio.

Edited by mazyyz

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 28 2012, 11:22 PM)
confused13.gif What are you guys talking about...

Camera Eye kicked major butt live 1022.gif Don't know what show(s) you were at...

i agree, also i think the version on the time machine dvd is just awesome, although geddy does sound a bit fatigued at some parts, but he wasnt 100% that night so its totally understandable

QUOTE (aaronrusso @ Sep 29 2012, 12:25 AM)

Camera Eye kicked major butt live 1022.gif Don't know what show(s) you were at...

i agree, also i think the version on the time machine dvd is just awesome, although geddy does sound a bit fatigued at some parts, but he wasnt 100% that night so its totally understandable

It just doesn't work "live" which is why they probably put it off for so long and only played it because of the obligatory ode to Moving Pictures. It's not that it was "bad", it's a studio song. And much to my dismay, I'm getting the feeling Jacob's Ladder is in the same category.

QUOTE (aaronrusso @ Sep 28 2012, 12:41 AM)

The "Next" tour never comes.

wink.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 28 2012, 11:34 PM)
It just doesn't work "live".........

confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif

It "worked" just fine when I saw them play it. It was the most anticipated song of the entire Tour, and it was GREAT......

What, specifically, does the band have to do for the song to "work" live in concert?

I'm with you man, I thought it was the highlight of the Time Machine Show. The notion that it doesn't work live is from an alternate reality than mine.

confused13.gif

To each their own.

2.gif

1287.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 29 2012, 08:50 AM)
Alex should stop thinking out loud during his interviews. It drives the fans crazy.

He may be doing it on purpose......I always thought he had a devious streak in him..... 653.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Sep 29 2012, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 29 2012, 08:50 AM)
Alex should stop thinking out loud during his interviews.  It drives the fans crazy.

He may be doing it on purpose......I always thought he had a devious streak in him..... 653.gif

^ Concurred. He knows stuff like that winds up on places like this - he's screwing with us. He's screwy that way.