Post-concert Funk

The Mighty Dudad

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 26 2012, 03:33 AM)
I felt the same way even after I bought and digested the CA record. I was so excited for months leading up to the release and it was everything I hoped it would be but I guess now that some of the excitement has wore off I'm wondering if that's the last record I can look forward to. I think at this stage I look forward to record releases more than concerts although the Indy show was fabulous I must say.

Yeah, Indy was great! Nice smaller venue!

Hope it's a stop on the 2nd leg as well! If so,

I'm there!!

1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

It's a feeling not reserved for Rush concerts. I love a lot of music. I see a lot of different bands. I feel kind of lost when I don't have a concert ticket on my dresser waiting for the day to come for the show.

For me my job is not what I do. It's not what gets me up each day. I get up and work so that I can indulge my true obsession in life and that obsession is music, live music.

I am always a little let down after a concert. Not because it wasn't enjoyable but because it is one less thing for me to look forward to musically. So, I fix it by finding the next concert. Once I buy the ticket I start to recover and look forward to that show. It's never ending, but I don't mind that at all.

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Sep 25 2012, 08:25 AM)
So, it has been a week and a half since I spent 3 amazing hours with the best rock band in the world and 10,000 or so of my closest friends at the United Center. Everything about the show was fantastic. Great set list, the band was "en fuego", the crowd was loud and appreciative, the production was killer.

...so why am I in a post-concert funk??

Seems to happen to me everytime I see Rush. Actually, that's not quite true. It really has only been happening the last 10 years, since the Vapor Trails tour. Prior to that, I don't recall ever feeling down after seeing them.

Yes, I realize that Rush is just a rock band, and that this as all a bit silly. That said, I've been a rock music fan since I was 11 or so...a good 37 years now. No band, NO BAND, has ever played a more significant and constant role in my life over all those years than Rush.

My amateur psychologist wife says it's because at this stage of their career, I go into the concert thinking, subconsciously or not, that this may well be the last time I see them. While that feeling helps drive my anticipation and enjoyment of the concert itself, it also fuels the funk the follows. "That may have been the last time I ever see this band live" is a pretty powerful feeling.

I'm sure she is absolutely correct (she usually is... wink.gif ).

Am I the only crazy person?

I'm not in a funk, because I know I'll see them at least once more. They'll return to the midwest next year, I'm sure.

I just wish I could live it all again.......

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Sep 25 2012, 09:25 AM)
So, it has been a week and a half since I spent 3 amazing hours with the best rock band in the world and 10,000 or so of my closest friends at the United Center. Everything about the show was fantastic. Great set list, the band was "en fuego", the crowd was loud and appreciative, the production was killer.

...so why am I in a post-concert funk??

Seems to happen to me everytime I see Rush. Actually, that's not quite true. It really has only been happening the last 10 years, since the Vapor Trails tour. Prior to that, I don't recall ever feeling down after seeing them.

Yes, I realize that Rush is just a rock band, and that this as all a bit silly. That said, I've been a rock music fan since I was 11 or so...a good 37 years now. No band, NO BAND, has ever played a more significant and constant role in my life over all those years than Rush.

My amateur psychologist wife says it's because at this stage of their career, I go into the concert thinking, subconsciously or not, that this may well be the last time I see them. While that feeling helps drive my anticipation and enjoyment of the concert itself, it also fuels the funk the follows. "That may have been the last time I ever see this band live" is a pretty powerful feeling.

I'm sure she is absolutely correct (she usually is... wink.gif ).

Am I the only crazy person?

goodpost.gif

Your post was like a revelation for me. I always have a post-concert blues. I always thought I was alone and that no one could love Rush as much as me - until TRF. No band (none, nada, zip , zilch, zero) inspires the love that Rush does. There are good bands, there are great bands. None are Rush.

I can't understand why everyone in the world at large doesn't feel the way that I do (and the "crazy" Rush brain hums I feel the way you would). Fortunately, there's TRF. smile.gif People here really love the band as much as I do - and not in some creepy sort of way. It is the music. I've felt this way since I was 14.

I think your spouse is correct - as is mine. Usually correct although not quite understanding why I feel the way I do about a band.

Crazy? I don't know. Maybe...? Definitely not alone. hug2.gif

QUOTE (jp_page_too @ Sep 26 2012, 11:57 AM)
For me my job is not what I do. It's not what gets me up each day. I get up and work so that I can indulge my true obsession in life and that obsession is music, live music.

That's EXACTLY how I feel.

Unless the band is coming to my home town I try to plan a vacation of some kind or at least a weekend around the show. After the St. Louis show we visited with my wife's family for a few days in BFE Missouri. Very little cell phone coverage and dial-up internet at best. It was nice way to wind down after the adrenaline rush from the show and to get away from the rest of the world for a while. It's amazing how fast you stop missing being online.

Yes, to yes, to yes!!!

I feel it too. Every time, after a Rush concert, I begin to get misty thinking THIS could be the last time.

Rush has been the soundtrack of my life since 1981, and to hear that soundtrack live is other-worldly pleasure in such a big way. To even THINK this is the last time I'll ever experience this ... well ... it makes me well up a bit to tell you the truth.

I am prepared for the possible moment that I hear that one of these three guys can't play any more for whatever reason. I will need a few days to mourn the loss. And if a Rush member should die, wow, only losing a family member or a best friend would be worse losses that I can imagine. If a member of Rush dies, I'd need several days off work to mourn.

And honestly, you know what doesn't help this feeling on this tour is "The Garden". That song has such a "farewell" feel to it. It's such a good song. And it feels like the PERFECT last song on the last album. And I well up when I hear that song.

So, yeah. It's not just you.

Not this time around....

Just about every tour leading up to this one I would see them mutliple times and crave to see them again. Not so hyped to see them next month and I really believe abscence makes the heart grow fonder...I guess I have seen too much of them over the past 32 years lol.

Hope they do not come anywhere close to my location if they do a NA Tour Part II.

2.gif

This is what we in the bdsm world call top drop. But really it can be spun in relation to coming down from anything that brings one heightened joy. Same thing happens to me on really excellent weekends or vacation. You spend an immense amount of time time psyching yourself up for a particular event, it arrives, then inevitably passes and you're left with the inevitable realization that life goes on.

Personally for me, I use concerts as an escape and once they pass it's back to the same old grind.

...but anywho, my show isn't until November!

1022.gif

Wives are always right but I think that some of it is physiological also. Before any big event there is an adrenaline "rush" and a type of excitement that gets you smiling. There are studies showing brain wave changes when someone is praying(Wasn't it proven that 7th Day Adventists have a longer life span than any other religious group?). And it is true that being involved in a hobby, be it music or gardening, lowers your blood pressure when you are in the middle of it. After the show, your body goes back into it's normal state.

Reminds me of a cousin who spent almost 11 years doing some sort of improvement work on his house when time allowed. He loved it so much the guys at Home Depot knew him by name. When he finally finished, he just didn't look as happy. Like he missed doing the work. Sure enough, on his physical exam, his blood pressure was higher than previous exams.

understand....

was depressed after 4 nights of closing the Spectrum in Philly...

pearl jams last night was amazing....trance - like

2.gif was like that in the 80's/90's......and all tours, really...

rock shows should be once a month

2.gif /pearl jam/sabbath/soundgarden/foo foghters

seen em' and love em' all...they would start my list haha

I got that feeling after my Columbus show. The excitement and anticipation wore off after I finally got to see them (twice!) after waiting since May. But, it's not too bad, since I'm seeing them one, likely two more times on this leg (who knows for the next NA leg!). After my final show of the tour, I know I'll be very sad, yet very happy at the same time. Though I joined the Rush fandom late in the game, I'm just very glad that I've been able to see them as much as possible while they're still going strong