Post-concert Funk

The Mighty Dudad

So, it has been a week and a half since I spent 3 amazing hours with the best rock band in the world and 10,000 or so of my closest friends at the United Center. Everything about the show was fantastic. Great set list, the band was "en fuego", the crowd was loud and appreciative, the production was killer.

...so why am I in a post-concert funk??

Seems to happen to me everytime I see Rush. Actually, that's not quite true. It really has only been happening the last 10 years, since the Vapor Trails tour. Prior to that, I don't recall ever feeling down after seeing them.

Yes, I realize that Rush is just a rock band, and that this as all a bit silly. That said, I've been a rock music fan since I was 11 or so...a good 37 years now. No band, NO BAND, has ever played a more significant and constant role in my life over all those years than Rush.

My amateur psychologist wife says it's because at this stage of their career, I go into the concert thinking, subconsciously or not, that this may well be the last time I see them. While that feeling helps drive my anticipation and enjoyment of the concert itself, it also fuels the funk the follows. "That may have been the last time I ever see this band live" is a pretty powerful feeling.

I'm sure she is absolutely correct (she usually is... wink.gif ).

Am I the only crazy person?

Believe it or not I have often felt the same way after seeing my favorite acts. Sometimes I attribute it to the fact that I'll have to wait so long to see them again. Ya know we get all excited and the anticipation grows as you near the show date and then it's over and you are back to the grind. I play music and it also reminds me that I'd rather be doing that but I'm not. But we just have to get over it. Definitely won't stop me from going to the shows though. That would be more depressing to know that I could have gone but missed it.

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Sep 25 2012, 08:25 AM)
So, it has been a week and a half since I spent 3 amazing hours with the best rock band in the world and 10,000 or so of my closest friends at the United Center. Everything about the show was fantastic. Great set list, the band was "en fuego", the crowd was loud and appreciative, the production was killer.

Seems to happen to me everytime I see Rush. Actually, that's not quite true. It really has only been happening the last 10 years, since the Vapor Trails tour. Prior to that, I don't recall ever feeling down after seeing them.

Yes, I realize that Rush is just a rock band, and that this as all a bit silly. That said, I've been a rock music fan since I was 11 or so...a good 37 years now. No band, NO BAND, has ever played a more significant and constant role in my life over all those years than Rush.

My amateur psychologist wife says it's because at this stage of their career, I go into the concert thinking, subconsciously or not, that this may well be the last time I see them. While that feeling helps drive my anticipation and enjoyment of the concert itself, it also fuels the funk the follows. "That may have been the last time I ever see this band live" is a pretty powerful feeling.

Good post Dudad--How's the earwig eating business?

You're not crazy, at least no more than the rest of us. I'll admit, when I walked out of the show last week, I felt that same pang of "man, that may be the last time I ever get to see them play". I even felt the sting if a tear in my eye when I started thinking about that possibility. I've been listening to these guys for well over 30 years. To say that their music has been a part of my life is a serious understatement. I endured ridicule in high school for being a fan of "that guy with the big nose", heartbreak in the late 90's when I was sure they were gone forever, and felt elation learning they were coming back with Vapor Trails. I'm sure that someday we'll all wake up to find our favorite band is no more. But until that day, and I'm sure long after, they will continue being a part of my life every day.

So, are you crazy? No more than me. I just spent 5 minutes explaining to a group of strangers how crazy I am.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 25 2012, 08:52 AM)

Good post Dudad--How's the earwig eating business?

Surpisingly recession-proof, thanks for asking.

QUOTE (professornutbudder @ Sep 25 2012, 09:25 AM)
You're not crazy, at least no more than the rest of us. I'll  admit, when I walked out of the show last week, I felt that same pang of "man, that may be the last time I ever get to see them play". I even felt the sting if a tear in my eye when I started thinking about that possibility. I've been listening to these guys for well over 30 years. To say that their music has been a part of my life is a serious understatement. I endured ridicule in high school for being a fan of "that guy with the big nose", heartbreak in the late 90's when I was sure they were gone forever, and felt elation learning they were coming back with Vapor Trails. I'm sure that someday we'll all wake up to find our favorite band is no more. But until that day, and I'm sure long after, they will continue being a part of my life every day.
So, are you crazy? No more than me. I just spent 5 minutes explaining to a group of strangers how crazy I am.

Well then, I guess we can all be crazy together!

fing.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (hulkhogan @ Sep 25 2012, 09:46 AM)
I've got the funk right now, after the St. Louis show. It also happened in 2007 when I saw them. I guess it's a pretty regular thing.

Agreed in full, my wife though now gets it which is good, the first time she thought I was crazy! wacko.gif

Although it's not a true cure, I can write you a prescription for a ROAD TRIP!!! Take one everytime Rush is playing a show. Unfortunately, I don't think this medication is covered under any health insurance plan, so it will be a little pricey. wink.gif

But yeah, I understand what you mean. Concerts and music are pretty much my life. I don't really even go out unless I'm going to one. I love the buildup, the anticipation of knowing one of my favorite bands is going to play a show and when it's over and the euphoria wears off, it's like "Now what?"

Plus, I also know what you mean when you say you think that this might be the last time they play. Being only 22, I missed out on seeing a lot of the bands I listen to live. I listen to a lot of "classic rock and metal." So that in itself pains me, and then when I think, "Damn, I may only see this band once," that gets to me, too. Damn, who is going to be around in 2030 when I'm 40? If I ever have children, which concerts will I take them too and say, "You'll love these guys. I saw them when I was younger."? I think about this stuff when I see people with their kids at concerts. I may never get to have that experience. sad.gif

But as far as NOW goes, I couldn't deal with the PCD (post concert depression), so I booked a trip to Cleveland in addition to my hometown show smile.gif

QUOTE (TheWK90 @ Sep 25 2012, 01:18 PM)
PCD (post concert depression)

goodpost.gif

I got it BAD....

Everytime I see them in concert.....when it's over, I sink down LOW..... fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Sep 25 2012, 03:50 PM)
They could retire tomorrow and I'd be OK with it , I've seen them 9 times now since 1981 and yeah they're my favorite band but at least I got to see them.

Not seeing Queen , Dio , Led Zeppelin etc. is what's a bummer.

So I take it you don't subscribe to the Losing It philosophy, eh?

Sadder still to watch it die

than never to have known it...

To theWK90 - A Road Trip to every show that Rush is scheduled to play certainly would keep the blues away! Time to go buy some lottery tickets, I guess.

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Sep 25 2012, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Sep 25 2012, 03:50 PM)
They could retire tomorrow and I'd be OK with it , I've seen them 9 times now since 1981 and yeah they're my favorite band but at least I got to see them.

Not seeing Queen , Dio , Led Zeppelin etc. is what's a bummer.

So I take it you don't subscribe to the Losing It philosophy, eh?

Sadder still to watch it die

than never to have known it...

To theWK90 - A Road Trip to every show that Rush is scheduled to play certainly would keep the blues away! Time to go buy some lottery tickets, I guess.

Its an honest to God true phenomena. Post Rush Interactive Concert Syndrome(PRICS). Many people suffer and are carriers of (PRICS). Specially after a great RUSH experience. Its a condition that usually affects men, but there have been rare documented cases of women haing (PRICS). Women suffer from a contrary affliction know as (LOPRICS) or Lack of (PRICS). Usually combining people with these polar afflictions will help release the other. Which is the reason you will find more women at RUSH concerts as of late . So if you suffer from (LOPRICS) and you know someone with (PRICS). Welcome them. Give them a hand, job, or something that will get them excited to face life again. Having (PRICS) is sometimes overwhelming. The condition sometimes makes you do strange things you wouldn't usually do. Like going into lonely dark alleys seeking SEX Pistols CDs or worse. So treat people with (PRICS) with tenderness. Cause the next person that grabs a dose of (PRICS) might just be you!

sad.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 25 2012, 05:17 PM)
Its an honest to God true phenomena. Post Rush Interactive Concert Syndrome(PRICS). Many people suffer and are carriers of (PRICS). Specially after a great RUSH experience. Its a condition that usually affects men, but there have been rare documented cases of women haing (PRICS). Women suffer from a contrary affliction know as (LOPRICS) or Lack of (PRICS). Usually combining people with these polar afflictions will help release the other. Which is the reason you will find more women at RUSH concerts as of late . So if you suffer from (LOPRICS) and you know someone with (PRICS). Welcome them. Give them a hand, job, or something that will get them excited to face life again. Having (PRICS) is sometimes overwhelming. The condition sometimes makes you  do strange things you wouldn't usually do. Like going into lonely dark alleys seeking SEX Pistols CDs or worse. So treat people with (PRICS) with tenderness. Cause the next person that grabs a dose of (PRICS) might just be you!

sad.gif

Now that's funny.

applaudit.gif

QUOTE (professornutbudder @ Sep 25 2012, 09:25 AM)
You're not crazy, at least no more than the rest of us. I'll admit, when I walked out of the show last week, I felt that same pang of "man, that may be the last time I ever get to see them play". I even felt the sting if a tear in my eye when I started thinking about that possibility. I've been listening to these guys for well over 30 years. To say that their music has been a part of my life is a serious understatement. I endured ridicule in high school for being a fan of "that guy with the big nose", heartbreak in the late 90's when I was sure they were gone forever, and felt elation learning they were coming back with Vapor Trails. I'm sure that someday we'll all wake up to find our favorite band is no more. But until that day, and I'm sure long after, they will continue being a part of my life every day.

Well said, I always have the post concert blues, especially this tour. It's been weeks since my last show and weeks until my next and I'm still depressed about it.

It could always be the last time and that makes me sad.

After a week i'm still sitting in my car before work watching some of the video I recorded on my phone just to relive the magic best I can. Road trip wise, tossing around the idea for going to the Toronto show, just so happens it lands on my birthday so what better way to spend it. If not, then i'll just repeat line one of this statement.

I don't know about feeling down, I'm still hyper from the Chicago show 1022.gif

Although I've never felt down after a Rush gig, I have thought, on the previous three tours, that it might be the last time I see them. I guess this time it hasn't happened because I've got tickets to see them next year in the UK and Europe. Maybe after that I'll start feeling down about it.

Strange thing is, though, with the band obviously excited about CA, and after reading NP's closing comment in his tourbook essay, I'm thinking we'll get one more tour after this one. After all, he does say:

"Like the nineteen albums that have come before, these songs are "Made 2 B Played," again and again for years.

And, if the fates allow, they will be . . . "

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Sep 25 2012, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (TheWK90 @ Sep 25 2012, 01:18 PM)
PCD (post concert depression)

goodpost.gif

I got it BAD....

Everytime I see them in concert.....when it's over, I sink down LOW..... fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

Yeah, me too! fists crying.gif

The only Rx... More shows!!!!

Thinking of adding some before next leg!

The ramen noodles are mighty tasty!!!!

1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I felt the same way even after I bought and digested the CA record. I was so excited for months leading up to the release and it was everything I hoped it would be but I guess now that some of the excitement has wore off I'm wondering if that's the last record I can look forward to. I think at this stage I look forward to record releases more than concerts although the Indy show was fabulous I must say.