Losing it

snowdogged

As we grow older our bodies and minds start telling us in many different ways that we are no longer young kids able too get away with the foolishness of our youth. They start telling us that we better start taking better care of ourselves, or else. Once we get into our forties our bodies are no longer able to take the same punishment as they could when we were in our twenties. While a small percentage of people's minds grow sharper with age and they can be even more creative and have a sharper wit, most of us start slowly losing the mental sharpness we had in our youth. Just too bad that that mental sharpness was clouded by the ignorance and stupidity of our youth for so many of us.

Anyhow, what are some of the things that aging TRFers noticeably feel that they have lost with age. It could be anything from something creative, some physical activities your body can no longer handle, diminished eyesight or hearing or just pain that your body did not feel years ago.

I myself have been pretty hard on my body and work a lot of very physical jobs and right now I work in construction. And even though I still work very physically and can work most twenty year olds under the table when doing the really demanding manual labor like moving things and demolition, my body always ends up telling me that I should have taken it easier. I have developed arthritis in both my elbows and in my right hand and I pretty much feel at least some pain from it constantly. Usually the pain is pretty bearable but sometimes I have problems sleeping from it.

I have also developed a lazy right eye within the past few years that I can only see things very blurry out of.

Also, about a year and a half ago I had a small stroke which I never mentioned before on this site. I stopped coming here for quite awhile after that. Since the stroke my mind has dulled and is nowhere near as sharp as it was. There are things that I am positive that I know the answers to which I would gotten right away prior to the stroke that I just can't seem to connect the dots to anymore. It can be very frustrating when I know that the answer is in my head but I just can't access it. Also, my comedic mind does not seem to work anywhere near as well as it use to. I have been having a hard time coming up with good captions in the caption game lately. I will be forty-five next month and I know that I have to start taking better care of myself.

What are the things that some of you people have lost with age?

Edited by snowdogged

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years back, I worked in the flower trade, cutting down stems on long-stemmed roses. I was out in a shed for several hours with very little warmth, a few buckets of freezing cold water and a pair of normal paper cutting scissors. I wasn't given any gloves. Constant repetitive movement with the thumb while cutting the stems eventually made the entire thumb area completely stiff, starting with little clicks in the first knuckle nearest the thumb. I'd end up flexing my thumb as a way of keeping it supple, so to speak. Although it wasn't too painful, it got worse when I had to use my other hand to pull the thumb out of its own paralysis as it were, and I used to cry out in pain. It was like that for 11 months. Although it had got back to normal, I find I'm still flexing my thumb, and I can still feel the clicking inside the thumb. I'm not certain, but I think I could end up with arthritis in there.

Now that I'm in my mid 40's, I don't heal like I used to. Injuries are much easier to inflict and my body takes longer to recover. My brain still treats my body like it was 25. My body doesn't handle that very well anymore. My mental is still pretty sharp (I think) and my recall is still very good, but I do have a harder time learning new concepts. I'm not the sponge that I was in my 20s.

I know I need to take better care of myself, but the habits of a lifetime can be difficult to undo.

b_sigh.gif

Sleep. I need more of it now; I used to function perfectly well with 4 hours. Now I need at least 7-8.

Ears have always been crap, but I do need to start being more diligent about going to the ENT on a regular basis so I don't end up deaf as a post.

I am hoping that getting a hip replacement at age 32 will be the limit of any musculoskeletal problems! Not fair if it isn't.

One thing I do not have issues with: eyes. I can't hear, have an artificial joint, but dammit, I can still see!

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Sep 23 2012, 09:16 PM)
I would have started this thread years ago if I had only known that I'd have my own thread filled with only women! smile.gif

Yeah, but we're all old and falling to bits! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 23 2012, 08:20 PM)
I would have started this thread years ago if I had only known that I'd have my own thread filled with only women! smile.gif

rofl3.gif

My hearing isn't what it used to be (too much loud music sad.gif )

Small print within 2 feet has become a blur in the last six months.

Don't have the athletic quickness I used to have.

I much wiser and happier in general, so I figure it's a decent trade-off. smile.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Sep 24 2012, 02:28 AM)

rofl3.gif

z7shysterical.gif Ooo..! Sometimes it hurts to laugh..! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 24 2012, 03:43 AM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Sep 24 2012, 02:28 AM)

rofl3.gif

z7shysterical.gif Ooo..! Sometimes it hurts to laugh..! rofl3.gif

rofl3.gif

I broke a rib (split the cartilage between the ribs) laughing once. Also once while sneezing, and twice while stretching - once to turn off water and the second time to plug in a network cable. Ouch, but it makes for a great true story. A bit of tinnitus from loud music, too. Eh, what was that sonny?

snowdogged got his thread full of ladies, but yes, we're all falling apart! laugh.gif (carefully, carefully)

QUOTE (goose @ Sep 23 2012, 10:28 PM)
My hearing isn't what it used to be (too much loud music sad.gif )

Small print within 2 feet has become a blur in the last six months.

Don't have the athletic quickness I used to have.

I much wiser and happier in general, so I figure it's a decent trade-off. smile.gif

This.

however - About 5-6 years ago I took some cues from my body (always on Prilosec - out of shape and sick all the time) and got serious about nutrition and fitness.

I feel great - but its not helping me read fine print or hear the TV. laugh.gif

I hurt much more after working out. I feel tired more often.

But I feel better than ever. Age is bringing me peace and perspective. Things make more sense nowadays.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 24 2012, 08:13 AM)
Yeah the years start taking things away I hear. Personally, I can't wait for tomorrow because I get better looking everyday. smile.gif

It's not like you could get any worse looking! tongue.gif

I worked for fours years unloading trucks for a major national retail chain and ended up with a herniated disc in my lower back from it. This was only a couple years ago that it happened. I'm 34 now and got it when I was 30. Due to the nature of my job and what it required me to do, I couldn't stay there because it would've just caused more damage. My lower back would cramp up all the time making it painful for me to even walk, let alone stand up for long periods of time and lift things.

I have regular desk job now and while I was a bit stubbon about getting my back treated because I really didn't want to admit that at only 30 there may have been a part of my body breaking down on me. I eventually did started taking care of it through meds and some stretching exercises. My friends wife is a physical therapist and she also helped me out a lot with showing me how to take care of my back.

It will still cramp up on me a bit from time totime but my back is doing much better now. There's still some occasional soreness though. Especially, if I go to a concert or something and have to stand in a certian position for a long time. Still, I know as I get older it will be one of those things that will probably creep up on me more often.

My first indications of aging were the inability to heal quickly and things getting blurrier at close range, but worst is the injuries suffered while sleeping! biggrin.gif Wake up with sore neck and shoulders and dead arms etc. But all in all I'm amazed I'm not worse off with beatings my body took during my youth. old.gif Edited by hunter

The aging process is a mind over matter. thing.

every single physical ailment is a manifestation of an emotional discord within....

there's a ton of literature out there giving the underlying cause to that which ails you, and things you can do to repair and reverse those aches and pains.

DIET is HUGE. cut the crap out of your diet. Eat more organically. drink more water. More Alkaline in the body ( i just read an article on that today as a matter of fact) Exercise and meditate daily.

underlying cause of it all = FEAR.

quit the mind chatter. stop the worry. gain a more positive attitude on life.

you keep telling yourself and everyone around you what's wrong and it will manifest.

focus on that in your life that is going right!

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Sep 24 2012, 02:21 PM)

every single physical ailment is a manifestation of an emotional discord within....

there's a ton of literature out there giving the underlying cause to that which ails you, and things you can do to repair and reverse those aches and pains.

DIET is HUGE. cut the crap out of your diet. Eat more organically. drink more water. More Alkaline in the body ( i just read an article on that today as a matter of fact) Exercise and meditate daily.

you keep telling yourself and everyone around you what's wrong and it will manifest.

goodpost.gif Especially the diet thing. You are what you eat. If you eat a lot of crap, expect to feel like crap a lot.

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Sep 24 2012, 01:21 PM)

goodpost.gif

DIS EASE = DISEASE

QUOTE (garden cat @ Sep 24 2012, 02:49 PM)
DIS EASE = DISEASE

I hadn't heard that one in a while! I can tell you when I started waking up ever morning regardless of how I actually felt, I said out loud "I feel good!", my days were brighter and I did start feeling better. I let myself ease off the "sick button".

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 24 2012, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (garden cat @ Sep 24 2012, 02:49 PM)
DIS EASE = DISEASE

I hadn't heard that one in a while! I can tell you when I started waking up ever morning regardless of how I actually felt, I said out loud "I feel good!", my days were brighter and I did start feeling better. I let myself ease off the "sick button".

trink39.gif

The power of positive thinking--who'da thunk'it?

My boobs keep growing and getting more perky, my butt is getting tighter and I lose weight when I eat Ruffles and onion dip.