St. Louis Show

Don Quixote

Just got home...wasn't planning to go but ended up there. I'm wondering if the show was taped - there were several guys with huge cameras at different points in the venue.

Good show - although I think Middletown Dreams just isn't that great of a live song. I was happy to see the string section comes through nicely - they're mic'd up and you can easily hear them.

Headlong Flight just SMOKES live. Wow.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great show, for sure!

I sort of agree about Middletown Dreams. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but the original has a particular feel and vibe that is just really difficult for them to recapture. I can now see why Grand Designs is getting the every night treatment, as that comes across terrific live.

Most of the new material came across really well, but I think the songs from it that should survive into the next tour should be the title track, The Anarchist and Headlong Flight. All three are live monsters.

But yeah, great show. The boys never fail to disappoint. trink39.gif

My wife and I got to the meet up at Schafly's about six. As I walked in I realized that I had no idea what anyone looks like. The place was packed full of Rush fans everywhere. When I was on my second beer just about all the Rush people left for the show. Ah well, maybe next time. I did see Christopher (can't remember the last name, but you know him, the guy interviewed in BTLS).

The GPS said the venue was a mile away and we had free parking on the street so we hoofed it. Got there about five minutes before the lights went down.

Next month marks 30 years since my first Rush show and this was easily the best vocal preformance I have ever seen from Geddy. They must have given him voice box transplant or something. I was stunned.

Alex was his usual fun self. The Analog Kid solo is just as awesome as everyone says. He was on all night, but I have never seen him have an off night.

Neil is a machine.

I think that if you are on the fence about going to show then go for. All the 80s songs sound really fantastic. For the first couple of songs I couldn't really hear the keys (except for Subdivisions). I had a little trouble making out Geddy's bass at first too. Both were cleared up pretty fast.

Best version of Force Ten ever. Middletown Dreams was about the only song that didn't quite live up to the original. The first set flew by. Before Dreamline Geddy "lost one of my ears" and Alex and Neil improved a bit. The Dwarves were way too funny. Clockwork Angels was even more stunning live than I could have imagined. Headlong Flight wowed the crowd for sure. As the Clockwork Angels songs went on the crowd seemed to lose steam, but when YYZ started the place lit up. There were butts shaking in and out of the seats all the way to back row of the place. I was expecting Working Man and they surprised us with The Spirit of Radio. During Analog Kid Geddy sang "the boy pulls down his Cardinal's cap and covers up his eyes". Tom Sawyer was killer and Geddy was still nailing it three hours later. The strings were excellent and you could hear them quite well. Ending with 2112 was just a great idea. "We have assumed control" indeed.

One question. I was enjoying the show when my wife pointed out someone that seemed to REALLY be enjoying the show. Then that person traded places with another person that started enjoying the show in the same way. We realized that what was going on was that these people were signing the show. They even signed the solos. It was odd to see. Why would a deaf person go to a rock concert?

I'm wore out and this hotel bed is very comfortable. That's all I got.

FANTASTIC SHOW!!! The crowd was GREAT - hardly anyone sitting as far as I could see. Met Circumstantial Tree briefly after the show. Just a brilliant performance and this from a guy who wasn't thrilled initially with the first set. Some nights were bright and this was one of them. 2.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 23 2012, 01:17 AM)
One question.  I was enjoying the show when my wife pointed out someone that seemed to REALLY be enjoying the show.  Then that person traded places with another person that started enjoying the show in the same way.  We realized that what was going on was that these people were signing the show.  They even signed the solos.  It was odd to see.  Why would a deaf person go to a rock concert?

Well it's actually quite simple. i myself have a 20-40% hearing loss in both ears and tinnitus (constant ringing or buzzing in the ears) all from genetic conic ear infections. Concerts for me are one of the few times where one i hear the music at a volume that is actually loud compared to my headphones. Now while not deaf it's a simple to expand this, deaf people like concerts due to vibrations and the lights. Since they can feel the show it's the closest thing to hearing and if there bones around there ear still work independent of their middle ear picking up the occasional rhythm and tone is possible(while extremely muted and distorted). It's for them the closest thing to actually hearing and feeling human and not handicapped by there hearing.

Next month marks 30 years since my first Rush show and this was easily the best vocal preformance I have ever seen from Geddy. They must have given him voice box transplant or something. I was stunned.

Geddy always sounds better when you're actually there. Go watch some youtube vids from this tour. Very good quality ones out there, especially by a guy named squinty, and his voice is pretty bad. He just sounds old. At least he isnt trying to scream playing stuff from the 70s, but even on the lower stuff he is just having a really hard time singing anything these days.

I dont know what you're hearing if you think he sounds as good now as he did in the 80s. Thats just completely ridiculous.

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Sep 23 2012, 09:21 AM)
The GPS said the venue was a mile away and we had free parking on the street so we hoofed it.

At least it was daylight - no way in hell do you make the walk from the Tap Room to ScottTrade in the dark.

How do you think I got back? We walked and I had to warn off one guy that started harrassing us for money. I don't play and most folks on the street pick that up pretty fast and look for an easier mark.

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 23 2012, 09:14 AM)
Next month marks 30 years since my first Rush show and this was easily the best vocal preformance I have ever seen from Geddy.  They must have given him voice box transplant or something.  I was stunned.

Geddy always sounds better when you're actually there. Go watch some youtube vids from this tour. Very good quality ones out there, especially by a guy named squinty, and his voice is pretty bad. He just sounds old. At least he isnt trying to scream playing stuff from the 70s, but even on the lower stuff he is just having a really hard time singing anything these days.

I dont know what you're hearing if you think he sounds as good now as he did in the 80s. Thats just completely ridiculous.

All I can tell you is that you were not there. Of course he was better in 1982, but this was the best vocal performance I have seen since then. My 30 year old memories are pretty good, but imagination and time will distort things. Last night was the best he's sounded since the T4E shows. It's still early in the tour and he is obviously being careful with his voice. I hope they record soon and with something better than what is on any of the bootlegs released so far or that absolute shit on youtube.

He was singing effortlessly last night and enjoying himself. Don't tell me what I heard and saw when you were not there.

Great Reviews.... Thankyu for your words.

As for as ...Why would a deaf person go to a rock concert?

I knew some how they can feel the music But Thankyu Delrancho for your explanation. Plus they can SEE fine.

What a great bunch on here...for the most of us anyhow.

2.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 23 2012, 09:16 AM)
This is the best youve ever heard him? Jesus. Listen to when he sings the word "degrees". Awful. No way is this even close to the album or the Power Windows tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mcvQg4jIqg

Dude are you constipated or something? What gives? Did your cat run off with a pack of dogs when you were young? Are your underware too tight? Are the wholely? Why are you so damn negative? Is it a profession?

wtf.gif

I thought it was a great show though did anyone notice the odd trainwreak. There was something odd with the timing in Big Money, don't know if they got out of sync with the samples but Neil was noticeably speeding up. Also at the start of Headlong, Neil messed up the basedrum pattern and Ged had to come and help him lock in. Quite a few flubs on Alex's side as well.

Clockwork Angels was amazing. Raise our hands as if to fly.. and the lights panned back over the crowd raising their hands as the lights him them.

-Matt

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 23 2012, 10:16 AM)
This is the best youve ever heard him? Jesus. Listen to when he sings the word "degrees". Awful. No way is this even close to the album or the Power Windows tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mcvQg4jIqg

This is probably the funniest post I've read all year.

The one word you're going to pick out of Grand Designs is "degrees"???

Really??

Listen to the link you posted again... then listen to GD from a few other shows... then listen to the CD... then go back and listen to the link you posted again....

Of all the single words to pick out of a show you choose one that is a DIRECT SAMPLE FROM THE MASTER RECORDINGS.

Thats right kids... Ged is using *gasp* SAMPLES of certain lyrics (like he's always done) and "DEGREES" is one of them.

Trenken, I know you love being a hater... but at least next time pick something to hate on that is correct.

Yeah I remember that Headlong Flight flub. It seems like I remember another one, too. Maybe it was during The Big Money like you said, I can't remember. I had a bit of trouble hearing the guitar at times. However, I was way off to the side of the stage in section 118. Overall, it was an awesome show. The string section looked kind of goofy rockin out, at first, just because I expected them to just be sitting around like a classical orchestra.

QUOTE (hulkhogan @ Sep 23 2012, 11:35 AM)
Yeah I remember that Headlong Flight flub. It seems like I remember another one, too. Maybe it was during The Big Money like you said, I can't remember. I had a bit of trouble hearing the guitar at times. However, I was way off to the side of the stage in section 118. Overall, it was an awesome show. The string section looked kind of goofy rockin out, at first, just because I expected them to just be sitting around like a classical orchestra.

I was a few sections by you in 116 and I agree about the guitar, it was a bit muffled at times. Yeah, the orchestra rocking out was funny to see... but they were really into it. I thought it was great that Alex and Geddy went back to play to them as well... since there wasn't an amp stack there, it gave them somewhere else to go.

-Matt

Middletown Dreams sounds amazing on all the live recordings that I have from the Power Windows tour...

Not enough people are posting youtube clips of Middletown Dreams live on this tour--to my frustration, because I will most likely catch a setlist "A" night in Charlotte.

The thing that sort of bugs me... and I'm trying not to complain, because this is the #1 song I've wanted to hear Rush bring back...but, from the couple of live clips I've seen, Neil is slightly dragging the tempo and he flakes out on the hi-hat work during the 2nd verse. I figure that this is all part of his new found "feel" that he has acquired over the last decade.

I respect that, but for some things, I do prefer some of the "on top of the beat" urgency of 80's Neil. I was just expecting them to ramp it up a notch, as they would have in '85....but, I'd still like to witness it live in person, however they do it.

I was going to make a post about Middletown Dreams at one point. I saw the A setlist, and although Body Electric was killer, I was a little disappointed that I wasn't getting to see one of my favorite dream setlist songs. But watching the videos, something seemed off. It just wasn't sounding good for some reason. So I'm not the only one thinking that?

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 23 2012, 09:14 AM)
Next month marks 30 years since my first Rush show and this was easily the best vocal preformance I have ever seen from Geddy.  They must have given him voice box transplant or something.  I was stunned.

The only thing rediculous here is your obsession with finding fault in Geddys voice.

You made a post the other day in a thread I started about how good he is sounding that was finally reasonable, and now you're back on your crusade to pointing out how old he is and how bad he sounds - even posting one word examples.

Cmon, man - what is your problem?

If someone says he sounds really good on this tour, which he does, why must you constantly hit back with "well, he doesn't sound like he dd 27 years ago and he's an old man now"

Weak.

It is nonsensical for you to compare his voice of today to his voce of 27 years ago as if they should be mirror images of each other and anything else is abject failure. Total nonsense.

You absolutely shredded his vocal on the Garden when the album came out, particularly the quiet parts.

Here is yet another example of how completely wrong you are on this subject. His vocal is beautiful.

If he was 30 and sang like this I would hire him to sing in my band.

Last night's show was by far the BEST concert I've ever been to. Even though I was bummed out during Dreamline, knowing it had knocked Manhattan Project out of the set, I still enjoyed it immensely. Seats were pretty close on Geddy's side. No obstructions, everything looked and sounded clear. SET LIST RULED! I freakin love 80's Rush AND Clockwork Angels so it was one biggrin.gif after another. Geddy's voice sounded great and trenken sucks trink39.gif Only thing I couldn't hear so well was his bass, but that got a little bit louder as the show progressed and the mix tweaked.

Sorry I didn't make it to any meet-up events beforehand, our hotel was kind of out of the way and we got stuck in some shitty traffic in East St Louis. By the time we checked in and got something to have for dinner it was time to hit the venue. Stupidly I forgot to bring cash, which made getting into the $20 parking garage a little difficult laugh.gif Ran across a Bank of America ATM luckily enough...still made it with time to spare!

Overall it was an awesome day. Even saw a truck pass by on I-64 in Illinois with Rush plates "YYZRUSH" 1022.gif Then got passed on the way home by a couple of dudes who must have noticed my plates and promptly held up a Rush T-shirt. My appreciation for Rush totally soars during these tours. smile.gif No other band can be as important to me.

Thanks guys, you put on an AMAZING show as always trink39.gif

I agree tarkus, GREAT SHOW. My first time to see a show at the Scottrade Center, nice venue, good crowd.

I also LOVED the setlist. All the PW songs were great, wish we had Marathon or Manhattan Project on top of them! I like CA as much as anything they've done pretty much, so all those songs were a treat for me as well. You could tell that the crowd was somewhat subdued by some of that material though...not me, on feet and rockin' start to finish...voice is scratchy today from screaming and singing along as best as my old and beer fogged memory would allow. Haven't attended a Rush show totally sober, wasn't about to start this time. Thank God nobody else could here me singing and my wife drove me home When they go to the classics the place was pretty electric.

Didn't the traffic suck on I-64 going in to St. Louis?

Thanks for the reviews! Sounds like it was a great one!

2.gif 1022.gif

"He just sounds old."

Quite possibly the most clueless post i ever read. Newsflash! Geddy is 59 years old. HE IS OLD!!! Don't know if you noticed but as people age their voice changes...

So if you hear a baby crying r you going to say wow that baby sounds like... a baby!? LOL ridiculous!