Review of the Columbus Show

The Mighty Dudad

Pretty sure just the very top level was curtained off, which was the same at Auburn Hills. But I believe both the Palace and Nationwide have very large capacities (around 20,000?) so even though they were both around half full (including the empty sections behind the stage), that's still 10,000 people.

QUOTE (blueowl @ Sep 21 2012, 04:51 PM)
The place looked packed to me. I didn't see any empty seats in the main area of the arena.
The concert was excellent, lots of energy, the Clockwork Angels stuff was particularly good.

Yes the crowd went NUTS with Headlong Flight! Even those who hadn't heard it before (like a couple people around me) really, really enjoyed it. I couldn't stop myself from air drumming laugh.gif

It was a great show.

Nobody can say they didn't mix up the set list this tour. A dramtically different list. Good/Bad, I guess that's debatable. I haven't looked at the set list threads yet since I was holding out for the show last night.

Heavy 83-93 show. Normally I would consider that a not so good show. It only dropped off I think after the Clockwork set. The next two or three songs kind of deadened the place. YYZ turned it back into a concert for the remainder. A lot of side B type songs. That was noticeable in a very subdued but polite crowd.

The guy behind me asked if The Body Electric was on their new album. Just an example of the comments I heard. I thought it, as well as others, an odd choice, in its case, so many better GUP "B" songs to choose. Loved hearing Grand Designs. Another one that confused the masses along with several others. I'm always disappointed with Bravado until the end with Neil's drumming and the extended Alexfest at the end makes it all better.

Most of the first set I wouldn't have chosen for my setlist but ended up quite happy they played most of them. It was a different concert.

Ged sounded really good. I suspect two reasons. Early in tour, majority of set list is in his current range.

Analog Kid....Alex drilled the solo. Place went wild. Crowd reaction really stood out there as the crowd was quite tame most of the show.

Clockworks seriously rocked. Except Halo Effect and The Garden. I mean, Halo Effect? Why? Having said that, at least it wasn't WTW. The Garden is a nice song. I know you guys slobber all over that one. I don't get it. A nice song, not concert material.

The sound of the new songs. I could hear it as it was meant to be heard!!!!!!!!!!

The person/persons responsible for the butchery of the cd should be beaten. Seriously, viciously beaten. Well, maybe not, but you know what I'm saying.

Pretty damn sad that a loud concert with dodgy acoustics and crowd noise and it still sounds way better than the cd. Listened to it on the way home, made me sick.

Caravan, CA, Anarchist, Carnies, 7, nobody knew but were so good it sold some albums to the casuals. HF blew the place up. The Garden and the next two or three sat many down. YYZ fixed that.

Where's My Thing! By far the best instrumental since YYZ was great. One of 3 mini-Neil solos in the middle.

Liked Neil's 3 minis. Would like to see them as one solo. Just doesn't seem right without all the solo majesty. No big band. That's a good thing.

Strings....it was ok. Seemed more of a gimmick to me. Worked for the Garden because its in there. I thought it worked well with Manhattan Project. The rest seemed out of place and drowned out for the most part anyway. I thought it hurt Caravan alot.

Comments overheard while leaving.....

"Why would they ever stop, they just keep getting better."

"Was that Rush? After Subdivisions I didn't know a single song until YYZ."

"I have to pee."

Worst part of show....guy in front of us crapped his pants every 4 minutes the whole show. Apparently has swiss cheese for a sphincter.

The first half of the show did seem a bit odd in song choice, but also kind of nice because it felt fresh. Like I said, I loved the CA part. The ending was great, bringing in the old popular stuff for a great finish. I agree the crowd seemed a bit subdued at times, likely because the songs did not seem familiar, and I don't know how many knew the CA stuff. Probably some disappointed fans because they didn't get to hear their favorite songs. I was hoping for Working Man and Limelight. But I loved 2112 at the end. Overall I enjoyed it :-)

PS--Superconductor, I don't know if your crapping guy was worse or the meth-head sitting next to me tapping me on the arm every song to ask or tell which song was from which album.

Edited by blueowl

QUOTE (blueowl @ Sep 21 2012, 05:29 PM)
The first half of the show did seem a bit odd in song choice, but also kind of nice because it felt fresh. Like I said, I loved the CA part. The ending was great, bringing in the old popular stuff for a great finish. I agree the crowd seemed a bit subdued at times, likely because the songs did not seem familiar, and I don't know how many knew the CA stuff. Probably some disappointed fans because they didn't get to hear their favorite songs. I was hoping for Working Man and Limelight. But I loved 2112 at the end. Overall I enjoyed it :-)
PS--Superconductor, I don't know if your crapping guy was worse or the meth-head sitting next to me tapping me on the arm every song to ask or tell which song was from which album.

rofl3.gif At least CrappyPants didn't talk to us.

the band is definately starting to hit the groove. they are never perfect but the new tunes are sounding much tighter and I disagree completely, if you can hear anything clearly at the show, you will hear the strings....they totally make the new songs great and Caravan is incredible with them. IMO. The Columbus show was a really good show all around, I was happy to see Spirit played for the first time this tour (shows I attended). GED is really having a good time this tour and his voice is the best since 2008. the TM tour set was brutal on it. he was never right from the start....he sounds 50% better this tour (at least). enjoy the shows there won't be much more, its a sad fact of life, age is a bitch and it will catch up soon enough and frankly, what will do them in first is GED's voice so prolonging that with tunes that take much less toil on it, is ok by me.

some can bitch about the set but its FRESH and NEW. I love La Villa, and the rest of the standards, but I've seen them plenty. any diehard fan should be ok with it. they have only dropped 1-2 70's tunes and the MP/PeW tunes are due for a break. Territories, Where's My Thing?, Analog Kid, the new album and The Body Electric. All very welcomed by me....my only grip really is WHERE THE f**k IS XANADU!!!! lol. that one he can sing with little issue....its my fav. beathorse.gif

Edited by ninjadave

You like Caravan with the strings huh? That's cool. I thought it softened it. Took the punch out of it. Kind of made it sound weird. Some of the other songs the strings were there but kind of in a wash. Didn't really add anything. That may have been my position up front though I guess. I didn't hear Ged's bass very well where I was either. He is usually so up front in the mix. It could certainly have been the acoustics of where I was.

I was back in section 110 and the sound was perfect there. Several times you could feel the bass and drums right through your feet shaking the floor. I thought the strings added a bit on the CA songs, but was not terribly noticeable, sort of highlighted those songs a bit. I wonder how much difference it really made. Mostly it was cool to see those folks lit up with the light changes and really getting into the songs moving back and forth. But man, I worried about the fire, didn't want to see any human torches back there smile.gif