Hemispheres on the Counterparts Tour, 94

Thunder Bay Rush

I came across this video on Youtube of the guys playing the Prelude section of Hemispheres on the CP tour back in 94. This footage is from MSG in New York.

It's a semi-professional video with various cameras, good edits, etc. I saw this tour in Minneapolis and when they played Hemispheres the audience literally went mental.

Geddy was able to still hit some of those high notes, and for some, he wisely sang lower notes, but he still sounded great! Seeing this brings back memories of seeing the Hemispheres Tour in Ottawa, Dec 21, 78. The period of AFT Kings through Permenent Waves for me, is the BEST Rush. I love all of it, but I have my favourite era.

Any Hemispheres memories after seeing this one??

My second show ever was counterparts tour in Dallas. Sat next to a guy who had seen every tour since hemispheres and when they played it, yeah he lost his grease.

Still by far the best rush show I have seen. And I haven't missed a tour since roll the bones.

It's funny because i was 15 my first show,I'm 36 now and 2112 came out the year I was born!!

Edited by dayglow76

He could never sing it right live even on the hemispheres tour. I've heard alot of recordings from that tour(first time in Tucson etc) and they all sound worse than this.

Terry Brown states in the extras of BTLS that they didn't notice until they got around to doing Ged's vocals they didn't realize they had recorded the whole thing a semi-tone too high.

I think we will see a return of this at some point even if it's just a snippet.

It's my dearest wish to hear this live some day. I'd love it if they did an instrumental arrangement that was several minutes long to incorporate the ebb and flow and all the musical themes in the song, but I'd be happy if they just played the instrumental part of the Prelude. I think I'd weep!

My first RUSH show was at the CT Counterparts tour in '94. At that time, I hadn't gotten very far into their back catalog and didn't realize what I was seeing (Hemispheres, Xanadu).

The only things about that concert that I really still remember were the laser triangle light things during the chorus of Analog Kid, the huge-ass fire blasts for Double Agent (holy shit was that awesome), and the YYZ bass / drum solo tradeoffs. But everybody went COO COO CRAZY during Hemispheres. I thought it was awesome, but never heard it before then so I didn't know it to fist pump to the beginning like everybody else.

If only I knew then what I know now, I'd go nuts if they ever played any of Hemispheres again. It's one of my favorite songs by them 1022.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Sep 21 2012, 07:05 AM)
My first RUSH show was at the CT Counterparts tour in '94. At that time, I hadn't gotten very far into their back catalog and didn't realize what I was seeing (Hemispheres, Xanadu).

The only things about that concert that I really still remember were the laser triangle light things during the chorus of Analog Kid, the huge-ass fire blasts for Double Agent (holy shit was that awesome), and the YYZ bass / drum solo tradeoffs. But everybody went COO COO CRAZY during Hemispheres. I thought it was awesome, but never heard it before then so I didn't know it to fist pump to the beginning like everybody else.

If only I knew then what I know now, I'd go nuts if they ever played any of Hemispheres again. It's one of my favorite songs by them 1022.gif

The Double Agent fire was awesome. During "My precious sense of honor, just to shield (FIRE) a rusty wire. I hold against the chaos an the cross (FIRE) of holy fire". 1022.gif

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 21 2012, 06:47 AM)
This footage is from MSG in New York.

Just to correct you a little bit: nope; it's from the Palace at Auburn Hills, in MI. While I don't always believe that Youtube descriptions are accurate, this one is: "Rush playing at The Palace Of Auburn Hills in Auburn Hills, Michigan, USA, on March 22, 1994, as part of the Counterparts tour."

QUOTE (Sticklight @ Sep 21 2012, 11:26 AM)
On "The struggle of the ancients first began", you can clearly notice that Geddy hits the original high notes. He has struggled a bit, but he did that way better than he did on the Hemispheres tour.

Really? I disagree. Compare these 2:

at 3:00

at 2:52

In the '94 video, he tries to hit the original notes, but doesn't quite make it. In the '78 video, he doesn't seem to try as hard for the original notes, but doesn't sound anywhere near as strained. To my ear, the former sounds better, but that's just my opinion.

Add my vote to those who want to hear this in some form. I don't need singing. Just the instrumental. I love it as part of the R30 medley. Forgive my ignorance but I never knew Alex used a double neck on this. I thought Xanadu was the only one.

That brought back some beautiful memoreies for me. Caught that tour in Pitts.,PA and I can remember just about everyone leaving the arena wishing to follow them to the next show. CP and T4E(2x in NJ - Continental Airlines Arena, PNC Arts Center) were the best RUSH shows I have ever attended.....great set lists and awesome perfomances.

2.gif

Edited by drgrendel

Ever wish you could go back in time? I was a relatively Rush noob at this show - my first show being RTB. I saw the CP tour 3 times, but never fully got into some of the older stuff until years later. I wish I could go back and see this again with the appreciation I have for it now.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 21 2012, 02:54 PM)
Ever wish you could go back in time? I was a relatively Rush noob at this show - my first show being RTB. I saw the CP tour 3 times, but never fully got into some of the older stuff until years later. I wish I could go back and see this again with the appreciation I have for it now.

I would love to go back to the New World Tour, CP tour, and T4E. Those are my top 3 - no special ranking or ordering.

I still loved the CA Tour as well....but it is not in my top 5 RUSH tours.

2.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Sep 21 2012, 01:57 PM)

I would love to go back to the New World Tour, CP tour, and T4E. Those are my top 3 - no special ranking or ordering.

2.gif

The TFE tour is the only time I saw them do 2112 in its entirety. My goosebumps goosebumps had goosebumps. yes.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Sep 21 2012, 01:57 PM)

2.gif

Did you see any of those?

My issue is I saw the CP tour - 3 times and I cannot pull this from my memory, because it was a song I really didn't know and it didn't stick. Hemispheres is one of my top songs now, and I would like to fix that issue with my brain if I could smile.gif